Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Associate
I've finished the Yuffie DLC, took me about 6 hours and I took my time with a few elements of the game.

Hard mode for Fort Condor seems... impossible? I think I'm getting the hang of it but I've played like 15 games and only won once. I didn't play during the normal mode, but even if I take more towers than my opponent I still lose. Will look into some guides and such as I'm clearly not doing well...

Did I lose out on any pieces/boards by not playing it on normal?

It amazes me that someone who put in the hours to platinum a game isn't fussed about these fantastic upgrades.

No hate at all, I'm just very surprised!

I actually sold my disk when I traded my PS4 in for the PS5.

Don't fancy buying it again to play the same game with a dlc

Soldato
I've finished the Yuffie DLC, took me about 6 hours and I took my time with a few elements of the game.

Hard mode for Fort Condor seems... impossible? I think I'm getting the hang of it but I've played like 15 games and only won once. I didn't play during the normal mode, but even if I take more towers than my opponent I still lose. Will look into some guides and such as I'm clearly not doing well...

It amazes me that someone who put in the hours to platinum a game isn't fussed about these fantastic upgrades.

6 hours thanks for the info. I've just started the main game and I'm really enjoying it so far. Might pick up the DLC if I'm not too burnt out by the time I finish it.

Soldato

Re: Spoiler, it's not. I did it in about 10 attempts. Plenty of videos on YT if you need a guide. You can check if you have all the boards by looking at the playthrough info. There's 10 in total.

Soldato
I have beaten the DLC and have every trophy except shinra boxes 50k and the Weiss as thats on main game, which I am replaying soon.

I think overall it is a good DLC and I like most of it.

They added new features which will please high end gamers, bonuses for perfect timed dodges and blocks, advanced mechanics with synergy and tougher bosses been introduced.

I liked the story, and I loved the condor fort minigame. Also the graphics mode which I play in feels like I am on a decent gaming PC with the detail levels even at distance. No frame rate issues, completely smooth at 30fps. According to DF the performance mode is solid at 60fps as well, no dips.

I do have a few criticisms though.

The box buster mini game in the main game I felt they nailed it, it was hard to beat if you didnt know the best methods to use, but once you knew the methods it was easy, in my opinion thats how minigames should be, but sadly SE historically can be quite cruel on minigames and the shinra version it is fair to say has gone up a few levels. It took me over 10 attempts to beat the easy version of it which wasnt a good sign, and I can say confidentially I will probably never beat the hard version. On the hard version of the shinra box buster, you have to destroy every box, so in other words on that there is no buffer, none at all, has to be every single one. Also the time available requires you to have next to no thinking time and near perfect execution. The videos released that showcase, show players performing perfectly and still have little time spare at points, to me thats bad balance as you have to cater for the not so good players in my opinion. Gamers who like having no thinking time, lightning reactions may enjoy it. Even when following a video I just cannot execute at the same speed and needing a second or so for thinking on every action means you lose this game, so sadly looks like wont plat the DLC.

My other concern more minor is when dev's add mechanics for perfect timings in action, the danger is they then balance their game round it, and the players who cannot perfectly time stuff get punished, aka dark souls difficulty. I hope Final Fantasy is not going in that direction (there is signs it is), in the DLC perfect timings are extremely powerful.

Perfect timed block will completely nullify the attack, it seems to work on every attack thats blockable including super bosses.
Yuffie has weapon skills when all ctivated will also grant both barrier and magic barrier aka manawall on herself in addition to nullifying the attack.
Perfect timed evasion when the skill is activated will boost ATB a little, a much lesser award.

Cue guides been released that rely on been able to perfectly time stuff, as I understand it the only way to pressure the Weiss super boss is to perfect time dodge on his unblockable attacks.

The good news Is I do think it may be possible to get perfect timings via mashing meaning it is a little newbie friendly, in addition yuffie is given an ability for evasion which is much more forgiving on timings, kind of as a tool for lesser skilled players.

In the main game the pullups and biker minigames suffer a similar problem to the shinra boxes that they were balanced requiring very little errors to beat them. The biker minigame you can use level 2 elementa to make it easier, the pullups however is just getting yourself good enough, I felt both of these should have been easier even though I managed to get both trophies on two separate profiles on PS4.

Aside from these minigames I feel its a very good game and DLC, and do recommend it to people.

Soldato
How do you get the upgrade? I have remake digitally (not ps plus version) it only gives me pat option of 8.99

I thought it was free with the yuffie dlc

Soldato
How do you get the upgrade? I have remake digitally (not ps plus version) it only gives me pat option of 8.99

I have the digital version. I upgraded it for free on the 11th. You don't need to buy the Yuffie DLC to get the free upgrade, it's a separate DLC called INTERmission

The box buster mini game in the main game I felt they nailed it, it was hard to beat if you didnt know the best methods to use, but once you knew the methods it was easy, in my opinion thats how minigames should be, but sadly SE historically can be quite cruel on minigames and the shinra version it is fair to say has gone up a few levels. It took me over 10 attempts to beat the easy version of it which wasnt a good sign, and I can say confidentially I will probably never beat the hard version. On the hard version of the shinra box buster, you have to destroy every box, so in other words on that there is no buffer, none at all, has to be every single one. Also the time available requires you to have next to no thinking time and near perfect execution. The videos released that showcase, show players performing perfectly and still have little time spare at points, to me thats bad balance as you have to cater for the not so good players in my opinion. Gamers who like having no thinking time, lightning reactions may enjoy it. Even when following a video I just cannot execute at the same speed and needing a second or so for thinking on every action means you lose this game, so sadly looks like wont plat the DLC.

Sorry but hard disagree. This was the same difficulty IMO and taught me how to play Yuffie better by beating it. A lot of the guides online also talk about using her abilities properly and many have done it differently to each other.

Cue guides been released that rely on been able to perfectly time stuff, as I understand it the only way to pressure the Weiss super boss is to perfect time dodge on his unblockable attacks.

The good news Is I do think it may be possible to get perfect timings via mashing meaning it is a little newbie friendly, in addition yuffie is given an ability for evasion which is much more forgiving on timings, kind of as a tool for lesser skilled players.

Given that there was a YT video of a dude beating Weiss in under 24 hours on release without any player taking 1 damage IDK man, it's a tough fight for sure but when you check out guides online and see how people do it this fight gets so much easier.

No complaints from me with this DLC, I think it was great and well worth the £15, my only frustration is that the Cacstar weapon is £7 which we couldn't get for free as we couldn't pre order the DLC when owning the PS4 version.

Will also add that Yuffie is so OP it's ridiculous. The Ultimate VR boss battle was a joke

Associate

You have to do a bit of a complicated dance! Put the PS4 play disc in and go to the store. You then get the Intergrade upgrade for free. The Yuffie DLC is £16 extra as a purchasable DLC after that

Soldato
Lethal can you beat the new box game with 40 secs left on the clock then and without hitting all the boxes like the original? The difficulty is extremely different.

I can understand you thinking the difficulty of it is fine, as after all my opinion is just that an opinion, but you are the first person to say you find it no different to the first one, I guess you struggled on the first one then?

Soldato
Lethal can you beat the new box game with 40 secs left on the clock then and without hitting all the boxes like the original? The difficulty is extremely different.

I can understand you thinking the difficulty of it is fine, as after all my opinion is just that an opinion, but you are the first person to say you find it no different to the first one, I guess you struggled on the first one then?

Errm I don't remember the amount of times it took me last year but I'd say less than 10 probably around 6 or 7. I don't have fond memories of the push up one though that took me almost 2 hours!

I didn't need a guide for that one though, with Yuffie I was still figuring her out and when I tried it on my first playthrough I thought wow this is almost impossible so I had a look on YT and saw people were doing things I hadn't figured out such as using triangle to move rather than running being one of the key things for me.

I'd say it's a slight increase in difficulty but if INTERmission was as long as the base game I'm sure I'd have got more comfortable with Yuffie and figured it out on my own but I'll never know for sure.

Soldato
Errm I don't remember the amount of times it took me last year but I'd say less than 10 probably around 6 or 7. I don't have fond memories of the push up one though that took me almost 2 hours!

I didn't need a guide for that one though, with Yuffie I was still figuring her out and when I tried it on my first playthrough I thought wow this is almost impossible so I had a look on YT and saw people were doing things I hadn't figured out such as using triangle to move rather than running being one of the key things for me.

I'd say it's a slight increase in difficulty but if INTERmission was as long as the base game I'm sure I'd have got more comfortable with Yuffie and figured it out on my own but I'll never know for sure.

Well the problem I have on the yuffie box game is even if I follow someone else's video I simply need too much time to think, even by the time their video is at 10 seconds, I have used 19 seconds to do the same thing, the problem is on the yuffie box game, you waste 9 seconds like that its game over.

On my intergrade playthru I am on chapter 14 now so now have access to the hard cloud box game, I decided to test if I could do it handicapped, and I was able to. I did all of the following handicaps successfully.

Won without hitting any time boxes.
Won with the nail bat weapon.
Won with only walking speed as movement.

However I cannot clear every box on the cloud game, but luckily you dont need to even get close to hitting every box.

On all the yuffie box game videos I have watched, the player has perfect execution, they know where they going next etc. and even with that amazing gameplay they are down to under 5s at multiple points and have less than 10s left at the end. Plus as you said you need to maximise usage of yuffie's abilities such as using throw and retrieve to move around and ranged whirlwind, on top of that you have obstacles that get in the way of boxes as well. I am sure at some point I will manage to beat it, but I was just shocked when you said you felt it was similar difficulty to the cloud version, I ask you try his again, and come back to me on that. :)

Soldato
I'm around 7 hours into the main game now and I'm absolutely loving it. Glad I waited for the upgrade it's pretty great. I'll definitely be getting the DLC.

There is numerous balance changes, a thread on gamefaqs about it. So its more than a graphical upgrade.

Various weak enemies have had their AP nerfed.
Some stronger enemies have had an AP buff. (both of these are likely aimed at fixing AP scaling).
Synergy has a huge buff, in the original game it consumed both MP and ATB, now it consumes neither, its extremely powerful. Basically put this on a AI ally linked to magic materia, whenever you use an offensive ability that character will toss a spell at the same enemy for free of charge no ATB/MP usage.
Gott* accessory the charge is a lot quicker, and (I think) you now get enough for your entire party.
Pressure feels like its been fixed, overpower and disorder abilities now successfully pressure most enemies, and in general enemies are much easier to pressure now, in addition pressure will now allow you to interrupt most enemies in the game even juggle them.
Dodging seems to have been buffed, but at same time I think parry has been nerfed, I loved the old parry but it was broken. Parry however is still a very good ability.
Some boss's have new abilities (usually unblockables).
Unblockable attacks now show a warning symbol.

There is likely other changes as well yet to be discovered.

Soldato
On all the yuffie box game videos I have watched, the player has perfect execution, they know where they going next etc. and even with that amazing gameplay they are down to under 5s at multiple points and have less than 10s left at the end. Plus as you said you need to maximise usage of yuffie's abilities such as using throw and retrieve to move around and ranged whirlwind, on top of that you have obstacles that get in the way of boxes as well. I am sure at some point I will manage to beat it, but I was just shocked when you said you felt it was similar difficulty to the cloud version, I ask you try his again, and come back to me on that. :)

Have you seen this one?

Soldato
Started FF7 Remake for the first time.

I like the combat and for the most part it can look really nice.

Not a fan of the constant start/stopping and forced walking sections. I hope this is just for the intro but I'm an hour or so in now, met Tifa and then had to just walk around town with her so worried the slow forced walking is here to stay?

That aside it's really promising. No nostalgia for the original. Missed it at the time, but have tried it a few times over the years and much of the intro is really well done compared to that.

Soldato
Started FF7 Remake for the first time.

I like the combat and for the most part it can look really nice.

Not a fan of the constant start/stopping and forced walking sections. I hope this is just for the intro but I'm an hour or so in now, met Tifa and then had to just walk around town with her so worried the slow forced walking is here to stay?

That aside it's really promising. No nostalgia for the original. Missed it at the time, but have tried it a few times over the years and much of the intro is really well done compared to that.

Chapters 3, 8, 9, 14 are my favourites, but I like story RPGs. I guess you are used to all action games.

Out of 18 chapters only 4 are kind of like like chapter 3.

You not going to get hours of uninterrupted fighting though, final fantasy is about the story as much as the battles.

Have you seen this one?

Dont think so, I am waiting for someone to discover a cheese strategy for people like me who suck at it, I dont know how he isnt having trouble with the targeting everywhere he turns it seems to target the right box for him and he has no thinking time at all like he has remembered the entire route to take or something, I am not capable of that. If you find a video where someone beats it whilst messing up targeting taking a second to think when they turn etc. thats the one for me, as they probably have a cheese strategy then.

Back
Top Bottom