Final Fantasy XV

Soldato
He's probably a fan of the old school jrpg combat system as opposed to the action combat system of the newer games.

It wasn't that - it just hasn't been done very well in FFXV. Not awful, but not well. It's like a new developer that's never made an action/rpg fight system tried something for the first time. Not what i'd expect from such a massive franchise after 10 years of work!

Fortunately there's so much else to love here that it just about makes up for it.

Soldato
Bit disappointed with the summoning aspect of the game.

I've gotten two of them and only used one once which was compulsory as part of a story mission, since then I haven't had any and I pick fights at anything, even the little weak giraffes i'll have a pop at for no reason.

I look for the audio/visual cues but nope and I don't seem to be the only one, I've read from other forums that people have punched considerable amount of hours into this game and had only been able to summon as part of a compulsory part in the story.

Kinda sucks like the button mashing combat system.

Soldato
Just ordered this with my tesco vouchers, only cost me £20. I was a massive fan of FF10/x2 etc. Im hoping I get used to the new free flowing combat style as the turn based aspect of the original games is what I loved about FF.

Associate
Just ordered this with my tesco vouchers, only cost me £20. I was a massive fan of FF10/x2 etc. Im hoping I get used to the new free flowing combat style as the turn based aspect of the original games is what I loved about FF.

Well if you loved that aspect, you will hate the combat in FF XV..I personally think its terrible...very little skill involved and is just hold O or Square.....the rest of the game is pretty decent though.

Soldato

I started enjoying FFXV a bunch more when I stopped approaching it like a FF game. Treat it like an endearing, open world action/rpg with loads of FF references and stuff to do. Combat wise the active mode works considerably better than wait mode. The latter seemed to make more sense for a fan of the original games and is what I went for first, but it's jarring in the way it pauses time and breaks all flow, and just ends up giving you the worst of both worlds. It seems better at first, but the combat has clearly been built as fast flowing system and works better once you embrace that. It's all about getting used to locking on and off targets so you don't have to worry about tracking them with the thumb stick (despite this I recommend control method C from the offset as it lets you fight and track at the same time) - this lets you string attacks together while keeping an view of what's going on so you can dodge/parry in time and beam about. That's when the camera isn't doing weird things - when that happens all bets are off! tbh it's been a bit of a love/hate experience for me, but now things have settled down and the combat has lost much of the frustration i'm enjoying it. The atmosphere is genuinely chilled, the characters have chemistry, and it's good, epic fantasy fun.

Associate
not played a final fantasy since 8 on ps1, which i did like.

I just cant get into this game, i have played it until the end, but haven't killed the last boss yet i have gone back to the side quests to level a bit more as their are mobs even before i get to the boss which are 70+ and i am level 41.

I have found through out playing the game that a lot of stuff is 1 shotting me down to danger, and i am using like 10+ potions and elixirs for every fight. Not sure if i am just crap or what lol, level 44 1 shotting me down to danger in 1 hit etc.

The game itself i have found very boring, and have forced myself to play it since i spent money on it, the story is just not engaging me at all, pretty much the entire game has felt like a huge bore, and not really what i expected in a FF game, as the story is the main part of the game.

and the whole thing with gladiolous and ignis getting hurt and then not finding out what h append to them??? i know they are patching that stuff in later, but i will have completed the game by then and wont be going back to find out, as frankly i simply dont care.

Wheres the amazing epic CGI that i remember as a child from final fantasy 8? did they just decide they can do it using the game engine to save money?? so disappointed in this game :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Of all the possible criticisms, lack of cgi surprises me! Story teling through gameplay is nearly always better (see TLoU), and CGI was never something that added to the series in any way for me. Each to their own, though.

Associate
Bit disappointed with the summoning aspect of the game.

I've gotten two of them and only used one once which was compulsory as part of a story mission, since then I haven't had any and I pick fights at anything, even the little weak giraffes i'll have a pop at for no reason.

I look for the audio/visual cues but nope and I don't seem to be the only one, I've read from other forums that people have punched considerable amount of hours into this game and had only been able to summon as part of a compulsory part in the story.

Kinda sucks like the button mashing combat system.

Summoning requires certain conditions in battle to be met (any depends where you're fighting), you might want to look them up. I believe the idea is to keep them rare/epic (which they are); in return they absolutely destroy opponents. I'm in the end game now at around 60 hours playtime though, and I've probably had a good 40+ summons.

Associate
I looked away really quick but I think I might have seen a spoiler in there about people getting hurt? Might want to tag it for those of us who haven't got through the game yet.

didn't think it was a spoiler, due to the fact that they mentioned it themselves as they are planning on expanding this area of the game to tell us what happened.

how can i spoil something that you dont even found out about while playing the game! Unless the details are in the film? which i haven't watched.

Last edited:
Associate
Of all the possible criticisms, lack of cgi surprises me! Story teling through gameplay is nearly always better (see TLoU), and CGI was never something that added to the series in any way for me. Each to their own, though.

yes i agree i loved tlou, but the difference is unfortunately for me at least, the story in final fantasy 15 was boring

I was just looking forward to some beautiful cinematic that evolved the story somewhat, it is something that i loved about previous final fantasies

Associate
Just ordered this and the guide from the Rainforest site. Deal on the Day One Edition for 32.99.

I like the guides on huge games like this. For me, they add the scale and depth that I'd probably miss if just sticking to the linear missions. Worth having to flesh the game out IMO.

Shawrey

Soldato
Really don't want to buy this at the moment, but £32.99 is pretty good! Will go for that.
I liked the Piggyback guides for the FF XIII series, but think I'll go without for the moment.

Associate
yes i agree i loved tlou, but the difference is unfortunately for me at least, the story in final fantasy 15 was boring

I was just looking forward to some beautiful cinematic that evolved the story somewhat, it is something that i loved about previous final fantasies

They definitely have lost their story telling magic since Hironobu Sakaguchi left after FF10......while I find the overall story ok, the way its told certainly isn't done that well......and I found myself doing things in the story, without explanation of why im doing it....and if you haven't watched the film before playing, then it certainly will be very confusing.

Final Fantasy used to be my favorite gaming Franchise...but since the creator left, its been on shaky ground....and I directly compare this game to The Witcher 3 which does the whole package lot far better.

Its not a bad game....I do enjoy it...but looking back at everything up to 10 the franchise is losing its appeal for me.

Associate
I'm about to start playing this but I've heard there is a video that you need to watch to get more of an idea of what's going on. What video do I need to watch then before playing ?

Watch the movie Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive.....its not bad actually and sets the story rolling and finishes where the game starts.

Back
Top Bottom