Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Associate
Hi,

Thought I'd show my new stove. We moved into a new build in March and we always wanted a log burner. So yesterday and this morning, we had one fitted :)

I can't for the life of me work out how to upload an image on on these forums, so here's a link: https://ibb.co/Vp2pQTD

This is the TermaTech TT20, a fairly entry level stove I would say, on a teardrop shaped granite hearth.

There was a radiator on the wall immediately to the right of the stove, which the builders were meant to move, but didn't, so I had to remove the radiator, sort plumbing, plastering, painting, etc before installation. The installer said there was no need to move the sockets to the left and just not to use them. Plenty other sockets in the room so saved me a job.

The installer recommended UK Logs Direct - https://www.uklogsdirect.co.uk/kiln...k-logs-c3/kiln-dried-oak-logs-large-crate-p13

Does anyone have any experience of using that company and is £295 a good price for the size of the crate?

Just wish it was cold enough to use it. It's been mid-high 20s up here all week :D

Thanks,

FB..

Soldato
@DXP55 - who are you buying the part seasoned from? I've got an empty log store to fill at some point.

Chris.
Sorry if it's been a delay I haven't checked here for a while.
Here is the link https://www.ridgefuels.co.uk/product/logs/.
they are next to English Bridge in Shrewsbury and are great people - There was way more logs on that tipper than I expected after using the local Caravan company.

You can get kiln dried 2 cubic meters for £250 at Good Wood in Prees.

Everything wood related is now stupid money.

Soldato
As posted in the man job thread ...

On the hottest day of the year so far I couldn't help but think of winter and making sure my log stores were in order ....

Both the large (main) store and intermediate (medium) stores were smattered with last year's timber from felling trees around the garden ....

IMG-20210718-125330-01.jpg

IMG-20210718-125316-01.jpg

Chop sawed the side branches to make a shed load of kindling (part way through)

IMG-20210718-133815-01.jpg

And took the handsaw to the trunks and bigger pieces

IMG-20210718-142003-01.jpg

And after (main store ready for this winters delivery of seasoned timber)

IMG-20210718-151151-01.jpg

And all last year's spoils, seasoning for next year's burn (tidy!)

IMG-20210718-151214-01.jpg

Associate
Now finished the backroom and painted. The only thing that is left to be done is fix the cooking plate to the top of the stove as they need to drill and tap it, which the fitters didn't realise they have to do.

k7f5Fef.jpg

Associate
Had a large Cherry tree taken down a few weeks back - only cost £400 on the basis I sorted all the brush (tip) and logs (firewood!).

Took a couple days sorting and organising the brush, and then worked through trimming the branches and logs into splittable size using the chain saw. Splitting has commenced and making some progress...both log stores filled and already split the same again. Possible around 40-50% of the wood split so far...need more log stores :D

y4mnQrubTNV2tYh9gmPuhSeSyF7EQpx4woh42pyxGdSjCf6f54HLAcicTEHye6vyoatpEmQh4rzs_IzyNXxV8HUzG12UciJJeQMDnLfb_TTvOnQu9-2cayPu3ITM8s1lfMOOzGWVXmwlyMpAN3hd8VbuLffa8GJU1xLQUN5YJONZnxbyYrnsxvjvZ0XHFP9zRaW

y4maZVLpN0TscfAIEXv47G633XYCJ-t8HyDFRoxeomm9XyKexkhKHcuwNP9VN9v_awJGLIBXDIOMksRqEA3kl9yXBaLAVcHOAJkdL_15SBa3EqEOWpIGfNoSB8FmlZaeDoPWRgWAd6vsNHQJMDn17SyFXBPw6bc5Ax5An5zgEtD1qvHJ-rA8Z8hTZFd0U_UztMQ

y4mhq9DMCt0psTTYp8X2CjCroFkABSJs-gB75pH4t-3amVRIeAj9aiUE4WFWyUoM2SADHpPqIbHpiO8IV_JJGyML9cYZy-XEQmDoxH3HnMFlQE1NO1qxJbuRxP9_zozsj_lW8jyK0NW_MrZE42tSGxhfNs3SzhkA0H18_KanRpM2MqNuJn0iGV_HtTfAPhLVWjX

y4mjQameg9IATIBtN3hsXjB-_fV7iMnbBZcWFXUcAFiIFi9bK2b_htVCGTgtn3GjH8pbNdv0JHtwUercTJB1fyGf0ZVCIoFyr5XLUwJgyDarC08FGyA1DdnrVv0m575DKv2_DAIrCgK0YOjMjmOdBOog3IvXVXoe2PDzvJ8pcndpBEfGmgwONLUNinZGU3A0SdN

y4mEOcVwkHr4FALMsPj6mTC7HQiJGdyY-chwHUUCoP_GJP58leD7hnu6ONayRzTuvlyKfhfDU_NlfUnDCwP1R5DWY5y71bhBM4JbETzis_CvFmnohwjU6OdJZr1Zmo1XKCICfQPtSm7ihNRFYaeBfZoqfVpbxyRVdnqA5dKWiolB4JfbHW0sTGSRXNCS65_Z2Hm

y4mMBNJsA-qAWrQC3rH60Ar-OUi8-NTjNmw54pyZFOBNeyoWn-xoyf1NXLPHQuoo97brkxkwjxIqDlXlyaqElp8V1oHUN68PknZqHjCBE_k9_KIRnTLH4d0AgxCWR36Zpo7bV_U6IgGkfJXWz0nqbszVhl-eRKrTmWP5PjE2RJbbz8rzd7fqn_FaeIukSQK82Il

y4mdh00pYlcLOZ9CoZUoWvM4rpYb6hlnr-pba9_Cbenx5WgjbnlqI3adXlJY_RfM24lm5joWhI83FxwZ-N2I3HYOwVXE-qP-6tP7cOA3Ep2eFcKxqnP5-SSU65fnPNZv38VNS93QFVMoxWbLMcboaLvm48LcWwQYE-VkQVxyXXQci04AAir5HqqwPTu0IGucMGs

y4mHEqjXEerXeEkVb00-vH7B3EN1BaQqNLPE8yftss2YdvaUbjhi7cay0P4WIfBzncZcc9LKzcOxiXb5wNSLG73j2tN0CMMo1ftFzGe0M5_Kd2ZPSvCwpvRWHk5aymB-7O7H3s8vsorKl2LUnPP8GfTY_TWjC4y2qpG6hPCIjl7DUcMH5XiAd8fAnX4_Q7sp8qW

Associate
https://www.uklogsdirect.co.uk/kiln...k-logs-c3/kiln-dried-oak-logs-large-crate-p13

Does anyone have any experience of using that company and is £295 a good price for the size of the crate?

I went for this in the end. No one had an opinion to offer either way. I did look at a couple of local companies but these guys were slightly cheaper per kg/m3. I ordered on Monday morning and the crate arrived this morning. Can't fault that, free delivery too.
d50cX17

Quite happy with the crate. Tightly packed oak. Log sizes vary but all decent. Have lined both sides of my garage with them. Plus, I built a thing! Well two actually:
MEefEpD

I cannibalised the crate and made two, albeit primitive, log stores!

The rest of the crate didn't appear to be treated, so all nails removed and chopped up into kindling. Not a bit of the crate wasted.

Soldato
OP
£400 and they left you with all the hard work. Dread to think what I should be charging the in-laws for the amount of cherries I've dropped for them over the last 2 years!! At least 8x that, all done by axe and the cheeky bugger even burned some of it in his stove as well!

Associate
£400 and they left you with all the hard work. Dread to think what I should be charging the in-laws for the amount of cherries I've dropped for them over the last 2 years!! At least 8x that, all done by axe and the cheeky bugger even burned some of it in his stove as well!

To be fair, the tree was heavily overhanging the road and had to be taken down in a way to avoid taking out the electric cables intermingled within it and the dry stone wall it was growing up against.

Two guys, about 5 hours on a Saturday and did a great job tidying up. I chipped the brush and everything else will get burned!

Soldato
OP
To be fair, the tree was heavily overhanging the road and had to be taken down in a way to avoid taking out the electric cables intermingled within it and the dry stone wall it was growing up against.

Two guys, about 5 hours on a Saturday and did a great job tidying up. I chipped the brush and everything else will get burned!

Sounds like a standard PITA cherry. They look to lop over when they get any height even when they have plenty of space so always ends up being a drama with them if they are near anything structure wise. Can chuck pretty much any other tree twice the size in the same time it takes for some stupid little cherries! But they sure make up for it in dry wood, the stuff is a dream to burn :)

Soldato
Log cutting and splitting isn't a leisurely sunday afternoon job - It's soddin hard work.
If that is all you are going to saw up now and in the future then get a electric chainsaw from Aldi or Lidl and buy a few chains -I have a Lidl one and a few chains - chains were £9.99 - Just keep the chain oil tank full and don't force it - with a sharp blade it will almost take itself though a trunk.
I have a sledge hammer -logging maul and a granade and the best one is a electric splitter- been worth it's weight in gold.

Just bumping this thread as winter is coming :D

Cross / repeat post from a few other threads

Stacked our log delivery from

IMG-20210922-082608-01.jpg

To

IMG-20210922-190457.jpg

That should keep you going till New Years day :D

Soldato
OP
The last 2 years on the trot the stove has been burning on 5th September.
Still nowhere near this year thus far. Still seeing 18/19 during the day and nothing below 10 overnight.
Pretty nuts.

I have split and unsplit wood all over the place. Heaps still to cut as well. Need to get my finger out and deal with it/move it all.

Soldato
Nice. I’ve utterly failed to process any of the wood I’ve got felled so far, so I might just buy some from a neighbour.

Thanks and been holding off as it's been so mild.butbthen had a mild panic when my log man wasn't returning calls! Thankfully he was just busy ....

Moved into a house with some felled wood in the garden, decent size trunks so will need a chainsaw and then split them. Haven't got an axe but I have got a lump hammer. Is a 'grenade' like this any good? As it'll be cheaper to buy than a good axe and I don't plan on doing much splitting going forward

Rolson 10780 Wood Grenade Log Splitter : Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

As above get yoursf.an electric saw or chainsaw

The grenades are ok for the initial "split" but I'd get an axe instead / as well

Log cutting and splitting isn't a leisurely sunday afternoon job - It's soddin hard work.
If that is all you are going to saw up now and in the future then get a electric chainsaw from Aldi or Lidl and buy a few chains -I have a Lidl one and a few chains - chains were £9.99 - Just keep the chain oil tank full and don't force it - with a sharp blade it will almost take itself though a trunk.
I have a sledge hammer -logging maul and a granade and the best one is a electric splitter- been worth it's weight in gold.

That should keep you going till New Years day :D

It is bloody hard work :D

And I'm hoping it lasts a little last NYD !!

The last 2 years on the trot the stove has been burning on 5th September.
Still nowhere near this year thus far. Still seeing 18/19 during the day and nothing below 10 overnight.
Pretty nuts.

I have split and unsplit wood all over the place. Heaps still to cut as well. Need to get my finger out and deal with it/move it all.

Show us show us :D

Back
Top Bottom