Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into getting a similar winch when I run into a heavy leaner near something I don’t want getting broken.

Tirfor's are incredibly versatile things to have. So, so handy!
Have a look on eBay as there is a few sellers on their who refurb and sell them. They're very pricey new.

Soldato
Some awesome work there @xdcx. I've got some trees that either need crowning, trimmed or felled but I'll have to get someone in, they're massive and too many. Not sure what the going rate is for tree surgery.

Soldato
Had the tree surgeon round earlier - he was meant to be felling two trees and removing their and none further two stumps next week.

He knocked on and asked if he could make a start on the two trees to be felled - I said crack on !

Before

IMG-20201128-123128.jpg

After

IMG-20201211-143152.jpg

And he kindly stripped the main trunk sections and cut into logs for me to season over the coming year

IMG-20201211-143109.jpg

Soldato
OP
Some awesome work there @xdcx. I've got some trees that either need crowning, trimmed or felled but I'll have to get someone in, they're massive and too many. Not sure what the going rate is for tree surgery.

Thanks man :)

What size are we talking and what are they?
It will depend on a lot of things. Size of job primarily but if they can be dropped easy and you'd be happy with that then it'll be not too expensive for a couple of groundies to crack at it.
If you need someone to climb them to crown or even if they'll need climbed to be felled then it'll be a bigger job really and more expensive. So really depends on situation.

Soldato
@{SAS}TB nice tidy job.
Did you just want them out to protect the lines coming through your garden?

A few reasons really.

Yes, they were getting close to the telephone/power cables, we also wanted to open up the view and you may notice one was somewhat "dead" on one side after having a storage container day on it for almost nine months.

He's coming back to shift nine other stumps / roots of trees I've removed over the 3 or so years we've been in here - will make a massive difference to the back garden in particular

Will, of course, post before and after pics!

Soldato
A few reasons really.

Yes, they were getting close to the telephone/power cables, we also wanted to open up the view and you may notice one was somewhat "dead" on one side after having a storage container day on it for almost nine months.

He's coming back to shift nine other stumps / roots of trees I've removed over the 3 or so years we've been in here - will make a massive difference to the back garden in particular

Will, of course, post before and after pics!
It’s a pity you can’t cut down that huge tree on the other side of the road and open up that view of the hills and fields.......

looks like you have a great place to live there

Soldato
It’s a pity you can’t cut down that huge tree on the other side of the road and open up that view of the hills and fields.......

looks like you have a great place to live there

Thank you, yes we are very lucky to live here :)

I do like trees :p so quite happy for the big one to stay although I'd love first dibs on the logs from it if it ever did come down !

Soldato
Moved the logs he left up onto the drive earlier

IMG-20201212-133522.jpg

Then into the large log store

IMG-20201212-134657.jpg

IMG-20201212-134702.jpg

Only really moved them to stop them getting any wetter for now

Will split them down then move into the smaller log store round the back to season for 12 months or so

I'll take some moisture readings when I split them then again in a few months time

Last edited:
Associate
The stove fan arrived. The lounge was colder as I've had the door open all day but it seemed to warm up quicker. It'll help to get heat arohnd the room and maybe push some into the hallway.

Also oiled the slate hearth the other day but it's dusty as I've been taking the hallway floor up.

20201212-191850.jpg

Soldato
OP
@Danm54 - Nice :) Did you go for the Valiant?

3 hours cutting cookies from big pine yesterday. The 2.5ton we got from estate cut is more like 5 ton.

Then 4 silver birch down today, couple of willows and taking my time on a beautiful little oak that will be pride of place in a new garden.

550XP I seem to have nothing but bad luck with that saw. I fitted new clutch drum and sprocket and within 20mins of first cuts the other week I hit some ninja embedded blue rope. Nightmare clearing out a brand new sprocket.
Then yesterday I cut through some of that piled pine and there was grit all over one end I didn't notice.... wondered why the thing was bogging down and running like **** so had to re-sharpen a freshly sharpened chain.
Thankfully today it was running a dream. Another 2 tanks through the thing and it finally feels like a decent saw to run.

Soldato
Some beautiful burners here, and some beautiful houses too!

I was looking to get some advice - we're currently in the process of having a new house built, and my wife really wants to install a burner. We have a decent sized forest area as part of the land, and the neighboring landowners would be happy to let me cut down trees on their land whenever I want. I already have a chainsaw too.

However, I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle - I guess the logs have to be dry stored for quite a while before they're usable, and I assume the burner has to be cleaned and given maintenance fairly regularly? I'm also not sure about how much heat it would actually produce - we'd be using it to heat the bottom half of the house which is around 110m2 and if it can't do that then there wouldn't be much point in having it. We also only have around 2 months of cold weather per year, so most of the time it would be sitting unused.

What would people do in my situation? They're not very common in my location so I can't get much advice locally.

Soldato
OP
Some beautiful burners here, and some beautiful houses too!

I was looking to get some advice - we're currently in the process of having a new house built, and my wife really wants to install a burner. We have a decent sized forest area as part of the land, and the neighboring landowners would be happy to let me cut down trees on their land whenever I want. I already have a chainsaw too.

However, I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle - I guess the logs have to be dry stored for quite a while before they're usable, and I assume the burner has to be cleaned and given maintenance fairly regularly? I'm also not sure about how much heat it would actually produce - we'd be using it to heat the bottom half of the house which is around 110m2 and if it can't do that then there wouldn't be much point in having it. We also only have around 2 months of cold weather per year, so most of the time it would be sitting unused.

What would people do in my situation? They're not very common in my location so I can't get much advice locally.

Depends on what type of tree's as to how long it will take to dry out and be useable in a stove.

Wood burning stove is very little maintenance. Sweep out and clean the glass is about as much as I do with any sort of regularity. Get the chimney swept once per year which is less than an hours job for a pro with the kit and costs £60 here in the UK. Once a year if burning decent wood is actually major overkill but it keeps up compliance for house insurance purposes.

Will depend on layout of your ground floor. Is it open plan quite a lot from where you would have the stove?
My house is not as large as yours ground floor wise and is not open plan.... still got 20 degree's average temps in the furthest away parts of rear of house and that's during Scottish winter temps and using no central heating at all, only the stove burning 24/7 in the front of the house.

Soldato
Depends on what type of tree's as to how long it will take to dry out and be useable in a stove.

Wood burning stove is very little maintenance. Sweep out and clean the glass is about as much as I do with any sort of regularity. Get the chimney swept once per year which is less than an hours job for a pro with the kit and costs £60 here in the UK. Once a year if burning decent wood is actually major overkill but it keeps up compliance for house insurance purposes.

Will depend on layout of your ground floor. Is it open plan quite a lot from where you would have the stove?
My house is not as large as yours ground floor wise and is not open plan.... still got 20 degree's average temps in the furthest away parts of rear of house and that's during Scottish winter temps and using no central heating at all, only the stove burning 24/7 in the front of the house.

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what type of trees they are tbh, but it's good to know that the stoves don't require as much maintenance as I thought.

The ground floor is indeed open plan, barring a small downstairs bathroom and laundry room, which aren't a priority heating-wise anyway. The amount of heat yours generates is very impressive - I didn't know they were capable of that. The coldest it will get for us is probably around -2, which I'd imagine is still a fair bit warmer than a Scottish winter.

Associate
The amount of heat yours generates is very impressive - I didn't know they were capable of that.

You can get some pretty serious stoves. Generally when you have someone come to quote for fitting one they will recommend what size you need. I guess they would be able to do the same when you are building a house from scratch. Not sure how it works in Mexico though in terms of you options of companies available that would come to install and types of manufacturers etc they will have access to but I guess they should be able to provide you with a stove big enough to heat your room up. There are various calculators online where you can put in the dimensions of your room and it will tell you how many kW you need to heat it up, you can then use that to get an idea on suitable stoves. In terms of the "hassle" element all you'd need to do is cut and split the logs and stack them for a while till they dry out. The stove takes care of itself other than the annual sweep and clearing the ashes out every so often. Its not a major hassle really just depends if you can be bothered. Nothing beats the heat from a real fire in the house though!

Soldato
You can get some pretty serious stoves. Generally when you have someone come to quote for fitting one they will recommend what size you need. I guess they would be able to do the same when you are building a house from scratch. Not sure how it works in Mexico though in terms of you options of companies available that would come to install and types of manufacturers etc they will have access to but I guess they should be able to provide you with a stove big enough to heat your room up. There are various calculators online where you can put in the dimensions of your room and it will tell you how many kW you need to heat it up, you can then use that to get an idea on suitable stoves. In terms of the "hassle" element all you'd need to do is cut and split the logs and stack them for a while till they dry out. The stove takes care of itself other than the annual sweep and clearing the ashes out every so often. Its not a major hassle really just depends if you can be bothered. Nothing beats the heat from a real fire in the house though!

There are very few companies here who build them, but I'm not far from the border with Texas, so bringing one back once the border is open again isn't much of an issue. I never thought to check to see if there were online calculators - I just had a look at one on a site called Charnwood stoves which seems pretty good so thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom