Firefox 4.0 available to download. Official Release tomorrow

Trust me, installed both on an SSD and Chrome is more than 0.01 seconds quicker! A lot more. I agree chrome is pretty basic. Firefox is presented better as well, but it feels like how IE7 felt to Firefox a few years back. Chrome is just snappier and faster to load pages and images. Even on google search it's quicker.

I miss the extensions sometimes, but really not that often to care. Only other problem with chrome is these darn password issues. I know I'm not alone with that one.

I found/find Chrome 10 to load pages fast but the illusion of them loading that much faster than Firefox 4 is just that in general. Chrome renders pages inline, content is loaded as it's hit while the page renders, top down if you will, whereas Firefox appears to render the whole page at once. This gives the impression of Chrome loading pages a bit faster than the competition when in reality the whole page has rendered in near enough the same speed or at least a difference that isn't worth writing home about.

I recorded a quick video to show various pages loading one after the other with both browsers side by side.

I think the main thing to note is app launch times. I don't have an SSD but FF4 took slightly longer to cold load than Chrome did although there's not much in it. Maybe the time it took to load you could scratch "a" ball instead of both balls I don't know but you'd have to have some small balls :p

I found/find Chrome 10 to load pages fast but the illusion of them loading that much faster than Firefox 4 is just that in general. Chrome renders pages inline, content is loaded as it's hit while the page renders, top down if you will, whereas Firefox appears to render the whole page at once. This gives the impression of Chrome loading pages a bit faster than the competition when in reality the whole page has rendered in near enough the same speed or at least a difference that isn't worth writing home about.

I recorded a quick video to show various pages loading one after the other with both browsers side by side.

I think the main thing to note is app launch times. I don't have an SSD but FF4 took slightly longer to cold load than Chrome did although there's not much in it. Maybe the time it took to load you could scratch "a" ball instead of both balls I don't know but you'd have to have some small balls :p

That's a nice comparison. When you're browsing, particularly a site like OcUK, you really notice even little delays I find. Your point about about the way in which they render pages is probably fairly valid, though in this situation I'd have to plump for chrome as you're already looking at most of the page (especially if it's a long page where you'd have to scroll to read more anyway) at the top, before FF. This way you can already start to read the page, whether all images/flash has loaded or not. Again, for sites like Ocuk this is great as they're pretty much all text once the main images are cached.

Hmm on forums (except Neowin, for some reason that's the slowest loading forum EVAR! on both browsers :p) I find both browsers equally quick! Random image threads load fast as well and OcUK's image thread doesn't have a touch on Joe Rogan forum's one lol with images exceeding 3000 pixels wide but I can't compare that as many are NSFW/NSFF :p

Your point about about the way in which they render pages is probably fairly valid, though in this situation I'd have to plump for chrome as you're already looking at most of the page (especially if it's a long page where you'd have to scroll to read more anyway) at the top, before FF. This way you can already start to read the page, whether all images/flash has loaded or not.
You can modify this behaviour in Firefox by adding the value nglayout.initialpaint.delay in about:config, although I haven't tried it in FF4 and don't know if the default settings are the same as in previous versions.

I tried going over to Chrome and loved it at first but began having lots of problems with Flash. Back to FF now. I know it's daft but one thing I don't like is the Icon. :)

Thanks for the heads up BTW.

Is there a way to turn off the transparency in the toolbar area? I dont like it full screen and it looks like part of my screen is missing :(

Googling tells me its done in windows options but it will turn off in every thing.

edit didnt think at the time but now added an XP theme and its good :)

Last edited:
I have to say I dislike how they have arranged the bars at the top, ideally I want to be able to order them back to the way 3.6 had them :(

EDIT: found how to move the tabs, still not quiet there on the layout, this two tone is annoying. But getting there...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom