Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO drives out tomorrow

Associate
Well this isn't picking up my 2*840 EVO mSATA's that are raid 0'd (stripped) in the Bios. So the hardware thinks that instead of being Samsungs they are Intel drives.

So looks like if I want this update I'll have to delete everything, reconfigure into a mirror configuration and try again after reinstalling everything. Only over a days work. :(

Fish

Soldato
Well this isn't picking up my 2*840 EVO mSATA's that are raid 0'd (stripped) in the Bios. So the hardware thinks that instead of being Samsungs they are Intel drives.

So looks like if I want this update I'll have to delete everything, reconfigure into a mirror configuration and try again after reinstalling everything. Only over a days work. :(

Fish

I've just had to wipe my PS4 drive and start again.

Annoying.

Associate
I've just purchased an 840 evo the other day. Will it already be updated to the latest firmware? or will I have to do it manually and is there a way to check what firmware it is on.

Associate

Fish

You have not read the whole thread. I had to un-raid my 2 Evos apply the update to each drive then re-raid.

Associate
Mick, yes you would be correct in that I didn't read all 5 pages previous to my post.

I work in a heavy server environment doing firmware updates on raided systems all the time, so I fail to see why Samsung cannot correctly write the code to do the job.

Guess they just don't give a monkeys

Soulwings, it would be worth checking as the firmware is new, so might not be on a box that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Fish

Associate
Anyone tell me why Samsung magition is saying my firmware is the latest when i know its not?

New Firmware version: EXT0CB6Q
My current Firmware: EXT0BB6Q

I don't think Samsung Magician has updated to include the new firmware as yet. They will likely update Magician when they are ready to release the Linux and Mac firmware I suspect

Soldato
Amazed there are not multiple posts of members' SDDs losing data after the firmware update, although I'm sure that is no comfort for those that suffer issues.

I've never updated the firmware of a HDD/SDD, but the prospect of doing an update on a drive containing live data sounds risky business!

Take a system image backup first for sure.

Back
Top Bottom