Firmware update for the Samsung 840 EVO drives out tomorrow

Before I was getting the same as everyone else BUT after its gone mental !

:eek:

Additional: Panic over its because I have Rapid Mode enabled. If I disable it I get the same after results as everyone else : phew!

2cxxdkx.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I was suspicious of it adding a drive amount of wear to your drive.

Technically to fix this issue then samsung are causing unecessary wear to the drive.

While I'm happy that they fix it I think it's a bit naughty that they are reducing the life of my drive to fix their problem.

Probably being too picky... but TLC nand doesn't last as long as MLC in the first place.

In my case I got an RMA drive so I don't have much to moan about but everyone should be aware there drive will get significant wear.

Hopefully this total re-write will not effect write performance casued by massive re-writes to the drive. I'm guessing samsung thought of that... but you do wonder.

The lifespan on SSD drives is a lot longer than you think...

You'll looking more towards 25 years on an average for a general consumers use from what I've read...

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/417...-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

If its a one off then I would agree, however I haven't seen an explanation yet of how the firmware update prevents the problem reoccurring.

If the update repeats the process in the background monthly for example then it is significant.

To a certain extent I agree, if that's what is going to happen, and I don't think it will (but that's just an educated guess).

Having said that, if your 250GB EVO has 200GB of data on it, you're only adding 1TB of writes every 5 months. For the majority of users, that's not really an issue.

The lifespan on SSD drives is a lot longer than you think...

You'll looking more towards 25 years on an average for a general consumers use from what I've read...

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/417...-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

No I did know that and I said I am just being picky but however you slice it - Due to a software error not caused by you and by having to fix the drive to restore it you are adding wear to your drive thus decreasing the life span of your drive.

Now don't get me wrong I am just happy they fixed it. I was merely suggesting that I believe people would have a perfect right to RMA their drive to samsung and recieve a new one which has already been updated in return.

You get the best of both worlds then :D

Just updated my Raid drives. I had to un-raid and format them to NTFS, so total data loss, then re-build the raid and restore from backup.

The raid is a data drive. Windows is on an M2 drive.

I have emailed the guys at Samsung in Korea who gave me the software for testing about the issues on Raid and also what the firmware will do to the drive over time. I am trying to get these questions answered for you.

As I get some answers I will post them in here.

is there any way of doing this without a windows installation? My laptop runs linux, having to run this from a windows install will be a bit of a pain!

Back
Top Bottom