First build in 13 years. Would appreciate some advice!

Man of Honour
The RMx (or the newer SHIFT, if your case is compatible) are fine, in my opinion and they're technically higher tier PSUs with double the warranty length of the GL. I'd be happy to spec the G.

Associate
OP
Not quite. The reason is that the Corsair PSU you picked out is not an ATX V3 PSU.
The MSI PSU that I picked out, is.
When more GPUs swap over to the new standard then you won't need to rely on an adapter as the MSI already has it by default.
(Yes I know you can buy the cable but that's an extra £20)
If you're spending that much on a PSU, at least get one with the latest spec lol :cry:
Fair point. I found something called the PSU tier list (I know, I'm getting in too deep!!) and I did find that corsair listed at a high level so Im tempted to stick with it although the PSU is one of those things that is hard to pick because they are basically all meant to be providing the exact same thing and either work or dont...

Of all things, it's the cooler I'm stuck on!! The one thing I wasnt even going to buy because I thought the one that comes with the cpu would be sufficient.
Having looked at a load of review channels on you tube, I am currently persuaded to go with an air cooler (Thermalright phantom spirit) which are apparently up there and are just simple items with fewer failure points than the elaborate water coolers. Having said that I might move up to the Deepcool LT520 as a liquid cooler if I find the air one not up to scratch.

I honestly would have ordered my whole set up by now if not for these PSU and cooler questions!! :)

Associate
OP
I have a question on the RAM.
Does it matter??? I was specced corsair which is fine, Ive heard of them, then the G.Skill Trident and recently the TeamGroup... I've never heard of the last two. Are they respectable makes?

Is the Mhz the key factor here? What about the

Kingston FURY Beast EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit (KF560C36BBEK2-32)

Which also has the 6000mhz?

Reason I ask is I quite like the smaller size of some of these...

I really do appreciate you all giving me this help...

It's all coming in at £1,800 now so if that blue SSD would be better as the black one, please say. Is there a difference in actual use?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think I will be going with that Corsair (I think you're agreeing?)
i would get this instead: Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850W 80+ Platinum Rated Fully Modular ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 Power Supply
if you google around it's actually pretty cheap and better than the rmx

Having looked at a load of review channels on you tube, I am currently persuaded to go with an air cooler (Thermalright phantom spirit) which are apparently up there and are just simple items with fewer failure points than the elaborate water coolers. Having said that I might move up to the Deepcool LT520 as a liquid cooler if I find the air one not up to scratch.
you won't go wrong with the phantom spirit
i wouldn't recommend something i wouldn't use myself lol
personally using it's cheaper sibling (assassin king 120) in my 5800x3d build and in a few builds for my friends/kids

I've never heard of the last two. Are they respectable makes?
yes they are.
i'm currently using gskill in my computer, and have used teamgroup in another couple of builds (as above wouldn't spec something i wouldn't use)

you can, it's c36 vs the teamgroup's c38, but for a 7800x3d chip...of little consequence...just £20 more expensive

Man of Honour
oh and @Ineedhelpplease , one more thing
i would swap back the ssd from the wd sn580 to the msi spatium 480 pro (i only specced the sn580 to get the build into budget with a monitor)
the spatium 480 pro may not be in stock at ocuk, but it is readily available elsewhere for about the same price ~£130

Associate
OP
oh and @Ineedhelpplease , one more thing
i would swap back the ssd from the wd sn580 to the msi spatium 480 pro (i only specced the sn580 to get the build into budget with a monitor)
the spatium 480 pro may not be in stock at ocuk, but it is readily available elsewhere for about the same price ~£130
Is the WD Blue unreliable? I can only find the 1TB or 4 TB versions of that MSI one elsewhere.

If the Blue is no good, perhaps there's another decent one in stock on OCUK?

Last edited:
Associate
I Just put a WD black 770 2tb Nvme drive in my PC last week for £107. Faster than the blue 580 quoted here and cheaper. On on of the major online sellers that sells everything.

Also I don't think just 2tb is enough for a new PC. With OS on it too that's not much room for newer games that often hit close to 100gigs. I now have 2tb nvme and 2.5tb Ssd. Still not enough for me for a truly large installed games library.

Associate
OP
I Just put a WD black 770 2tb Nvme drive in my PC last week for £107. Faster than the blue 580 quoted here and cheaper. On on of the major online sellers that sells everything.

Also I don't think just 2tb is enough for a new PC. With OS on it too that's not much room for newer games that often hit close to 100gigs. I now have 2tb nvme and 2.5tb Ssd. Still not enough for me for a truly large installed games library.
Thank you. I do already have an SSD in my current PC whixh is only 500gb but I plan to move that over as well. I might go with the WD black then...

Associate
OP
No it's a good drive but the msi is better/faster

Are you trying to purchase all your parts from One place?
Not necessarily. Am already getting my cooler (the phantom spirit) from another place.

Silly question maybe but I am assuming the case i have needs those longer thinner SSDs rather than the more squarish ones?

Thinking of this one for £117? What do you think? > WD_BLACK SN770 2TB M.2 2280 Game Drive PCIe Gen4 NVMe up to 5150 MB/s

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not necessarily. Am already getting my cooler (the phantom spirit) from another place.

Silly question maybe but I am assuming the case i have needs those longer thinner SSDs rather than the more squarish ones?

Thinking of this one for £117? What do you think? > WD_BLACK SN770 2TB M.2 2280 Game Drive PCIe Gen4 NVMe up to 5150 MB/s

Good choice but take a look at the

ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB M.2 can be had for £115 that's what I would get.​

Associate
OP

ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB M.2 can be had for £115 that's what I would get​

ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 2TB M.2 can be had for £115 that's what I would get.​

I wasnt able to find that one but I did find the WD black even cheaper at £109 so I've gone with that

Associate
OP
If not going for water-cooling I would get the thermalright phantom spirit for £35 (not sold at Ocuk).
You will need a shorter ram set though.
I abandoned that Kingston Fury RAM as a review on OCUK said it doesnt work well with AMD and wont achieve the 6000 speed. So looked at this one and there is another version with an a at the end of the Vulcon which is for AMD (this one is for intel apparently). Sadly not in stock.

Any suggestions for one that's in stock ?

Associate
OP

I could do with a hand on the RAM!!​

This one claims to be certified for intel and AMD

Kingston FURY Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C40 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit​

This one is a bit cheaper but says it is "optimised for amd"

Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit​

Actually this might be the one. Specifically says it is designed for AMD

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C30 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit - B​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core 5.00GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Retail - £349.99

SKU
: CP-3DT-AM

1 X Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £169.99

SKU
: MB-6K0-AS

1 X Phanteks XT Pro Ultra ATX Case Tempered Glass Window, Black - £66.95

SKU
: CAS-PHK-01443

1 X Corsair RMx Series RM850x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (CP-9020200-UK) - £119.99

SKU
: CA-267-CS

1 X Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Pulse 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card - £899.99

SKU
: GX-3A5-SP

1 X G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C30 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit - B - £128.99

SKU
: MEM-GSK-01360

Grand Total: £1,747.88

This looks to be the final order as well as the WD black SSD and phantom spirit cooler which I ordered elsewhere.
Unless anyone alerts me to something being incompatible I think I'll be confirming the order after work.

I want to say big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help me with this. I appreciate it. These things havent got any simpler since my last build!!

Cheers!

Man of Honour
I abandoned that Kingston Fury RAM as a review on OCUK said it doesnt work well with AMD and wont achieve the 6000 speed. So looked at this one and there is another version with an a at the end of the Vulcon which is for AMD (this one is for intel apparently). Sadly not in stock.

Any suggestions for one that's in stock ?
Eh? I don't think I've recommended any Kingston fury ram?
Either way I would just get the team group ram I linked above. I EXPO ram is optimised for AMD.
Don't pay any attention to marketing bs.

Man of Honour

1 X G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C30 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit - B - £128.99
You can go for this ram if you want. It's good but not really required as the x3d cpu is not as sensitive to latency as the non-x3d AMD CPUs. It's also £30 dearer and slightly taller.
The reason why I suggested shorter profile ram is that with the CPU cooler, the front fan will have to be offset upwards to accommodate the ram height.

Back
Top Bottom