• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First build in 14-15 years... 6800xt or 3080?

Permabanned
In oct-nov or at worst dec I'll be building a new system for the first time since a q6600... (ran macbook pros since for what I use and consoles)

This will ONLY be used for gaming...

5800x, 32gb 3600 lpx, rm850, msi mortar b550m wifi/bt, sammy 980pro 2tb pcie4.0 m.2, lg 32gp850-b...
IF the 4xxx series turns out to be overhyped and rip off pricing as seems to be always the case I'd like a backup option gpu wise...

Which would you go for out of a 6800xt 16gb vs a 3080 10 or 12gb (as currently ocuk have a 3080 12gb for £830 which is what i was budgetting for a 3080 10gb) I'm more than happy to pay the £200ish extra for a 12gb 3080...

My MAIN thing is I want this to last happily at 1440p for as many years as possible at a locked 60fps on SP games at the highest possible settings then when it can't take it bang on dlss...
MP games aren't really an issue but if I want to play them I will have a 180hz 1440p monitor so that's fine at whatever settings to maintain 180hz...

I keep seeing mixed opinions on how a 6800xt is so much better for the extra vram? but crap at RT (which would be nice at 60fps 1440p for a year or however long modern games will allow me to play it with nice eye candy on with or without dlss) people say in the future the AMD cards will stomp nvidia for RT etc due to infinity cache? But all I see is many games not supporting it currently and horrific fps differences from a 3080... I know the 6800XT is a lot cheaper if bought from ocuk for example but the £1-200 or so difference isn't a factor I WILL pay it IF the 3080 IS better?

So would the extra vram of the 6800XT allow me to go nuts and max everything out for years to come excluding RT or is it a marketing thing like the 10gb vs 12gb arguments I see? As I also see nonsense about how a 4xxx card will want a minimum of a 5800x3d or the cpu will be a bottleneck which seems mad as no games are using that many cores let alone for a few years yet, surely?

I'm not biased in anyway I like and have had both brands so it'd be interesting to see what people say as I'm lost currently, ha!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've looked at both and bought neither. If you don't have to buy get next gen, for the sake of a few months it will be significantly faster.

Permabanned
OP
I've looked at both and bought neither. If you don't have to buy get next gen, for the sake of a few months it will be significantly faster.
yeah it's just a rough game plan as ideally they'll just release the 4xxx for either same 'ish' price as a 3080 now and the gains 'might' be worth going that route or option 2 my current planned setup just gets cheaper. either is fine I just have a strong feeling the new 4xxx range will NOT be cheaper and they'll scene tax the death out of the pricing as usual...
So if the latter is the case I will still need to know which I should go for regardless of the 3080 being around £200 more IF that is the route to go.

Soldato
yeah it's just a rough game plan as ideally they'll just release the 4xxx for either same 'ish' price as a 3080 now and the gains 'might' be worth going that route or option 2 my current planned setup just gets cheaper. either is fine I just have a strong feeling the new 4xxx range will NOT be cheaper and they'll scene tax the death out of the pricing as usual...
Just a matter of which you prefer, possible buyers remorse or having to fork out a little more. Of course if you're happy with 3080 performance get a 4070, save a few quid and get the newer GPU.

Permabanned
OP
Just a matter of which you prefer, possible buyers remorse or having to fork out a little more. Of course if you're happy with 3080 performance get a 4070, save a few quid and get the newer GPU.
I literally have no bias nor preference it's purely based on future proofing it and to not have to replace it/run it at rubbish settings in a couple years due to lack of ram IF that really becomes a thing. that thread on here showing problems with RE2/3 was quite worrying for example on a 30XX and so is the fps difference in a lot of games with 6800xt vs 3080... as I say i don't want to compromise if I can pay the extra £200 to be worth it in the longhaul I happily will... It'd be nice if a 4070/80 is in the 3080 price range but I'd bet my budget it isn't ha!
I just need to see some proof of real world non biased usage of which is genuinely better. vs bandwagon little bitches taking sides which is all I see online.

Soldato
I literally have no bias nor preference it's purely based on future proofing it and to not have to replace it/run it at rubbish settings in a couple years due to lack of ram IF that really becomes a thing. that thread on here showing problems with RE2/3 was quite worrying for example on a 30XX and so is the fps difference in a lot of games with 6800xt vs 3080... as I say i don't want to compromise if I can pay the extra £200 to be worth it in the longhaul I happily will... It'd be nice if a 4070/80 is in the 3080 price range but I'd bet my budget it isn't ha!
I just need to see some proof of real world non biased usage of which is genuinely better. vs bandwagon little bitches taking sides which is all I see online.
I'm just going for 7XXX series AMD, they put plenty of RAM on their cards and I don't need Cuda, Open GL performance has greatly improved too. FSR2 looks good enough should I need it and apparently RT performance is improved, not that that's a selling point for me. Should last a good few years at 1440p.

Permabanned
OP
I'm just going for 7XXX series AMD, they put plenty of RAM on their cards and I don't need Cuda, Open GL performance has greatly improved too. FSR2 looks good enough should I need it and apparently RT performance is improved, not that that's a selling point for me. Should last a good few years at 1440p.
so say they become silly pricing when they come out would you in my situation just get the 6800xt for the vram then or the 3080?

Permabanned
OP
You should bang on DLSS anyway, it's a brilliant feature - and in most games I find it very difficult to distinguish any difference in image quality.
Nice. I'm open to whatever allows me the nicest eye candy for a few years with a stable 60+ fps at 1440p. it's mainly for SP as I say. any MP I'll just dull the settings down as required to make use of my 1440p 180hz moni.

Associate
My first instinct is ...whichever is cheaper.

On OCUK currently, the cheapest 6800xt is £689 vs the cheapest RTX 3080 at £740.
So I would go for the 6800XT.

We can all speculate about whether better Ray-Tracing performance or more VRAM will give either card more longevity, but that's all it will be............speculation.
Money in your pocket now is money in your pocket now.

Just how long are you intending to keep it anyway ?
Over the long term, the most cost effective strategy is often to buy mid/ upper & upgrade after 3 years or so, selling the old card to take the edge off the price of the new. Same applies to CPUs.
Splurging loads of cash on the most premium item & hanging onto it until it's completely obsolete is normally a less good choice.

If you're genuinely intending to run the card for 5 years, then I can only recommend you to wait for the next gen, although you may be waiting some months after launch until pricing & availability hit a point you're happy with.

For the record, I run a 6800 (non XT) at home & a 3090 (Non Ti) at work.

Associate
You should bang on DLSS anyway, it's a brilliant feature - and in most games I find it very difficult to distinguish any difference in image quality.
Of course Upscaling can be useful, but with FSR 1.0, FSR 2.0, Unreal 5's Upscaler, Intel's Upscaler & probably more options incoming, you're not going to be short of an Upscaler in the next few years, whichever you buy.

Permabanned
OP
My first instinct is ...whichever is cheaper.

On OCUK currently, the cheapest 6800xt is £689 vs the cheapest RTX 3080 at £740.
So I would go for the 6800XT.

We can all speculate about whether better Ray-Tracing performance or more VRAM will give either card more longevity, but that's all it will be............speculation.
Money in your pocket now is money in your pocket now.

Just how long are you intending to keep it anyway ?
Over the long term, the most cost effective strategy is often to buy mid/ upper & upgrade after 3 years or so, selling the old card to take the edge off the price of the new. Same applies to CPUs.
Splurging loads of cash on the most premium item & hanging onto it until it's completely obsolete is normally a less good choice.

If you're genuinely intending to run the card for 5 years, then I can only recommend you to wait for the next gen, although you may be waiting some months after launch until pricing & availability hit a point you're happy with.

For the record, I run a 6800 (non XT) at home & a 3090 (Non Ti) at work.
I was hoping considering considering how long last gen lasted people and even 1080s etc on 1080p that say a 1440p dlss setup and a 5800x would give me 5 years - 3 years at nice settings then 2 years bumping the settings down then getting a new graphics card if an 8core really is a bottleneck at that point. ram and psu I don't mind obviously upgrading with a graphics card in 5 years. just seems mad considering the cpus people have held onto up until this point and how games barely use the amount of cores modern cpus offer then I read nonsense saying a 4XXX would want a 5800x3d or it could be bottlenecked. just speculative nonsense. if they were both the same price which would you choose out of a 6800/3070 or 80vs xt?

Associate
I was hoping considering considering how long last gen lasted people and even 1080s etc on 1080p that say a 1440p dlss setup and a 5800x would give me 5 years - 3 years at nice settings then 2 years bumping the settings down then getting a new graphics card if an 8core really is a bottleneck at that point. ram and psu I don't mind obviously upgrading with a graphics card in 5 years. just seems mad considering the cpus people have held onto up until this point and how games barely use the amount of cores modern cpus offer then I read nonsense saying a 4XXX would want a 5800x3d or it could be bottlenecked. just speculative nonsense. if they were both the same price which would you choose out of a 6800/3070 or 80vs xt?
If they were all the same price, my choice would be 6800XT == 3080 > 6800 > 3070.

The point I was trying to make is that I'm not sure that deciding to hang onto it for 5 years is the best idea.

But I would rule out the 3070/ 3070ti. And maybe bring the 12GB 3080 into contention, as the cheapest on OCUK is £830. Perhaps that's a sweet spot of VRAM vs RT performance. But the next generation looms ever closer & the higher you go up the price scale, the more argument there is for waiting it out. You've chosen an interesting time to pose the question.

Permabanned
OP
If they were all the same price, my choice would be 6800XT == 3080 > 6800 > 3070.

The point I was trying to make is that I'm not sure that deciding to hang onto it for 5 years is the best idea.

But I would rule out the 3070/ 3070ti. And maybe bring the 12GB 3080 into contention, as the cheapest on OCUK is £830. Perhaps that's a sweet spot. But he next generation looms ever closer & the higher you go up the price scale, the more argument there is for waiting it out. You've chosen an interesting time to pose the question.
I did say in my original post I'd be choosing to buy it around Christmas. so this just my fallback graphics card option should they sting us as usual on new card pricing...

I wasn't aware you could get a 12gb for £830 as i cant see any on there? I was going to spend that on a 10gb!
I would definitely go that route vs the 10gb then. the 5 year thing was more hoping based on previous generation stuff I could get away with lower settings in the last 2 years with dlss on and obviously no RT etc...?
but as I say I would consider a new card around 4 years if the 5800x would still be good enough based on how long we got out of the older intels etc?

Associate
I did say in my original post I'd be choosing to buy it around Christmas. so this just my fallback graphics card option should they sting us as usual on new card pricing... I was aware you could get a 12gb for £830! I was going to spend that on a 10gb! I would definitely go that route vs the 10gb then. the 5 year thing was more hoping based on previous generation stuff I could get away with lower settings in the last 2 years with dlss on and obviously no RT etc...? but as I say I would consider a new card around 4 years if the 5800x would still be good enough based on how long we got out of the older intels etc?
If your focus is gaming, you can hang onto a CPU longer. When I said it's like with CPUs, that was perhaps my own interest showing through, as I do some multi-core intensive stuff & rate the CPU as high as the GPU. For gaming it's not so important in general.
Yes, I would keep an eye on prices of all the cards you are intersted in, in the run-up to the next gen releases. Some might go down in price further & no-one really knows how good/ expensive/ available the new gen cards will be when they come out.
From what you've said so far, 6800 16gb, 6800xt 16gb, 3080 10gb & 3080 12gb, seem like the most suitable current - gen cards.

Permabanned
OP
If your focus is gaming, you can hang onto a CPU longer. When I said it's like with CPUs, that was perhaps my own interest showing through, as I do some multi-core intensive stuff & rate the CPU as high as the GPU. For gaming it's not so important in general.
Yes, I would keep an eye on prices of all the cards you are intersted in, in the run-up to the next gen releases. Some might go down in price further & no-one really knows how good/ expensive/ available the new gen cards will be when they come out.
From what you've said so far, 6800 16gb, 6800xt 16gb, 3080 10gb & 3080 12gb, seem like the most suitable current - gen cards.
yes mate, it literally is only going to be used for gaming and mainly SP. so as long as I get a locked 60fps then I'm happy for years to come. MP I can just dial back the eye candy and make use of the 180hz monitor.
yeah as I say I just want a solid choice for if they stitch us up on the pricing of the next gen which is my strong opinion that as usual they will or they'll be overhyped and not much better vs the cost increase.
I can't see any 12gb 3080 for £830 mate? did you mean to type 10gb?

Permabanned
OP
Sorry, I realise I didn't answer your question about the 12GB 3080.
Here it is, £830 & in stock:

crazy I put in a max of £900 and this didn't come up just now ha! Well yeah I'd definitely buy that at that price as I was going to pay that for a msi 3080 10gb elsewhere... so is the 12gb still not worth it in your opinion vs a 16gb 6800xt?

Back
Top Bottom