• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First build in 14-15 years... 6800xt or 3080?

Associate
crazy I put in a max of £900 and this didn't come up just now ha! Well yeah I'd definitely buy that at that price as I was going to pay that for a msi 3080 10gb elsewhere... so is the 12gb still not worth it in your opinion vs a 16gb 6800xt?
I just can't answer it, as I can't see the future. Both are great cards & I think you'll have a lot of fun gaming for a long time on either.
Especially if you stop following the graphics card market as soon as you buy & just enjoy turning all games up to (near) max.
If I were buying today at £639 for the 6800xt vs £830 for 3080 12GB, for strictly gaming, I think I'd take the 6800XT & keep the change.
But the 3080 12GB wouldn't be a BAD buy, if I was comfortable spending the money.

Permabanned
OP
I just can't answer it, as I can't see the future. Both are great cards & I think you'll have a lot of fun gaming for a long time on either.
Especially if you stop following the graphics card market as soon as you buy & just enjoy turning all games up to (near) max.
If I were buying today at £639 for the 6800xt vs £830 for 3080 12GB, for strictly gaming, I think I'd take the 6800XT & keep the change.
But the 3080 12GB wouldn't be a BAD buy, if I was comfortable spending the money.
yeah that's fair enough. the only issue I currently have is whether dlss with fade out and for will win where its supported on both brands but currently the fsr2.0 support is nearly non existent vs dlss.
thanks for your input I am tempted by the 6800xt now but it becomes harder to justify for the little price difference for the 16gb vram gain vs dlss support on the 3080...
also the slower memory bandwidth of the 6xxx vs the 3xxx worries me a bit too.

Soldato
yeah that's fair enough. the only issue I currently have is whether dlss with fade out and for will win where its supported on both brands but currently the fsr2.0 support is nearly non existent vs dlss.
thanks for your input I am tempted by the 6800xt now but it becomes harder to justify for the little price difference for the 16gb vram gain vs dlss support on the 3080...
also the slower memory bandwidth of the 6xxx vs the 3xxx worries me a bit too.

I'll keep it simple.

If you want RT (with good performance) get the 3080.

Associate
Again, personal opinion, but if I were to choose 3080 12GB over 6800XT, it wouldn't be for DLSS. It would be for better Ray-Tracing Performance.
Because other Upscalers support & quality will improve, even just this year, & you said you're looking for a long-term solution. I expect DLSS to be pretty un-important in 1 year (I'm guessing)

The better Ray-Tracing performance, on the other hand, doesn't depend on software, the NVidia card is actually faster for this work, in general.

The reasons why I'm personally not too arsed about this for games are:
- The PS5 & XBox series X both have inferior ray-tracing performance to the 6800xt, so it's unlikely most multi-platform developers (which is to say most developers) will cripple performance with demanding mandatory RT features
- Even if you have a high-end NVidia card, turning off Ray-Tracing is a great way to get a massive performance boost & in many games, the visual difference is tiny

It's kinda funny, because at work, we use ray-tracing rendering all the time (usually not realtime) & I wouldn't be without it. But for gaming, today ? I can take it or leave it.

Associate
I'll keep it simple.

If you want RT (with good performance) get the 3080.
I'd say: If you want (basic) RT with (Mediocre) performance, get the 3080.
The 6800xt will get you (basic) RT with (Poor) performance.
But I'm not sure it matters that much.

Permabanned
OP
Again, personal opinion, but if I were to choose 3080 12GB over 6800XT, it wouldn't be for DLSS. It would be for better Ray-Tracing Performance.
Because other Upscalers support & quality will improve, even just this year, & you said you're looking for a long-term solution. I expect DLSS to be pretty un-important in 1 year (I'm guessing)

The better Ray-Tracing performance, on the other hand, doesn't depend on software, the NVidia card is actually faster for this work, in general.

The reasons why I'm personally not too arsed about this for games are:
- The PS5 & XBox series X both have inferior ray-tracing performance to the 6800xt, so it's unlikely most multi-platform developers (which is to say most developers) will cripple performance with demanding mandatory RT features
- Even if you have a high-end NVidia card, turning off Ray-Tracing is a great way to get a massive performance boost & in many games, the visual difference is tiny

It's kinda funny, because at work, we use ray-tracing rendering all the time (usually not realtime) & I wouldn't b without it. But for gaming, today ? I can taake it or leave it.
yeah sorry i did mean the idea of having both really does sell me the 3080 for the extra money but regarding dlss it's the fact it's a good fallback when you can no longer run as high settings in the future without it? that's more what I intended previously so I thought it would give me a longer lifespan before knocking back settings and then pair that with as you say decent RT out of the box its definitely worth the extra cost imho.
it's just so hard to know what to believe for the future as some say fsr will win due to working on both brands and others say the opposite. and after all both opinions are just silly speculation so mean nothing.
I originally felt like I'd be mad not to go for the nvidia due to having rt and dlss clearly currently better and more polished. but then the vram was always worrying me for the future few years but then you found me that 12gb so I'm very very close to thinking just stick with the 3080 now which was my original idea.

Associate
yeah sorry i did mean the idea of having both really does sell me the 3080 for the extra money but regarding dlss it's the fact it's a good fallback when you can no longer run as high settings in the future without it? that's more what I intended previously so I thought it would give me a longer lifespan before knocking back settings and then pair that with as you say decent RT out of the box its definitely worth the extra cost imho.
it's just so hard to know what to believe for the future as some say fsr will win due to working on both brands and others say the opposite. and after all both opinions are just silly speculation so mean nothing.
I originally felt like I'd be mad not to go for the nvidia due to having rt and dlss clearly currently better and more polished. but then the vram was always worrying me for the future few years but then you found me that 12gb so I'm very very close to thinking just stick with the 3080 now which was my original idea.
As far as the future goes, we're all guessing, of course. I've kind of said my piece. For what it's worth, I think you could happily decide this by flipping a coin.
What I'd say, overall, is keep an eye on the prices of all the cards you're interested in, as well as the upcoming ones, from both AMD & NVidia.
As you get closer to the time when you're buying, post your question again, especially if there is info/ reviews/ availability of the next-gen cards at that point. You've got a decent survey of the landscape as it stands now.

Permabanned
OP
As far as the future goes, we're all guessing, of course. I've kind of said my piece. For what it's worth, I think you could happily decide this by flipping a coin.
What I'd say, overall, is keep an eye on the prices of all the cards you're interested in, as well as the upcoming ones, from both AMD & NVidia.
As you get closer to the time when you're buying, post your question again, especially if there is info/ reviews/ availability of the next-gen cards at that point. You've got a decent survey of the landscape as it stands now.
yeah literally am pretty sold on the 12gb 3080 at £830 from ocuk now as my backup should prices not drop/4xxx be a let down or rip off.
If I hadn't posted this thread I wouldn't of been aware of the 12gb for so cheap!
Thanks for your input.

Soldato
If you aren't buying until December, there is zero point in looking at the prices of anything now.

Also, if you only buy once every five to ten years, then there is zero point in looking at any of this generations cards.

Wait until you are closer to actually buying, then get the best performing card of the new releases that's within your budget.

Associate
yeah literally am pretty sold on the 12gb 3080 at £830 from ocuk now as my backup should prices not drop/4xxx be a let down or rip off.
If I hadn't posted this thread I wouldn't of been aware of the 12gb for so cheap!
Thanks for your input.
You're very welcome. I think you'll have a good gaming experience whichever option you go for.
Maybe those next-gen cards will be cheap, fast & readliy available. Stranger things have happened, & mining looks screwed for now. Whatever some denialists say, that was by far the main cause of inflated prices.

Permabanned
OP
If you aren't buying until December, there is zero point in looking at the prices of anything now.

Also, if you only buy once every five to ten years, then there is zero point in looking at any of this generations cards.

Wait until you are closer to actually buying, then get the best performing card of the new releases that's within your budget.
I know the prices will vary it's just to give me a rough idea what to go for should we get shafted on next gen prices/performance/availability.
I mainly want the gpu to last 3 years with eye candy and then default to using dlss to keep it as pretty as possible upto the 4 or 5 year mark where I replace the gpu but hopefully retain the cpu and motherboard as it'll only be for gaming, no streaming no rendering etc.

Permabanned
OP
You're very welcome. I think you'll have a good gaming experience whichever option you go for.
Maybe those next-gen cards will be cheap, fast & readliy available. Stranger things have happened, & mining looks screwed for now. Whatever some denialists say, that was by far the main cause of inflated prices.
Thanks mate, it'd be real nice if I could spend the current budget in oct-dec and get next gen and gain some decent performance and if they shaft us on pricing and availability, then enjoy hopefully a decent reduction on this fallback option.

Soldato
I've owned both, currently have a 3080 in my sons system. Given the choice between the two I'd pick the 6800XT for the extra vram and better image quality out of the box ( I've often got to play about with the filters on the 3080). It's also faster on the majority of games I play.

Both great cards though.

Soldato
As mentioned earlier, both cards have pros and cons. For me personally, I'd go for the 6800xt (or 7000 series equivalent) as I reckon the 16gb of vram would be more useful (future proof?). I also prefer the AMD software as the Nvidia version looks like something from the 90s. FSR and RSR cannot be ignored as well, I use these all the time and work very for me. But, the nvidia offerings have DLSS and hardware RT capabilities which cannot be ignored in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom