• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First build in 14-15 years... 6800xt or 3080?

Permabanned
OP
I've owned both, currently have a 3080 in my sons system. Given the choice between the two I'd pick the 6800XT for the extra vram and better image quality out of the box ( I've often got to play about with the filters on the 3080). It's also faster on the majority of games I play.

Both great cards though.
Interesting... I don't like the weird washed out look I've seen 6800xt's run on the same games - watched a review showing that and thought it was rather strange? I'm sure you could tweak the settings to balance it out but was rather weird imho.
As mentioned earlier, both cards have pros and cons. For me personally, I'd go for the 6800xt (or 7000 series equivalent) as I reckon the 16gb of vram would be more useful (future proof?). I also prefer the AMD software as the Nvidia version looks like something from the 90s. FSR and RSR cannot be ignored as well, I use these all the time and work very for me. But, the nvidia offerings have DLSS and hardware RT capabilities which cannot be ignored in this day and age.
Yeah the 16gb was what original had sold me future proofing wise, but I really do like the RT at 60fps in 1440p/4k (on the less demanding games) the idea of DLSS for in a couple years when the 3080 requires it to hold 60-70 fps with eye candy on in SP games (as MP i'll just bang the settings down low to maintain 180hz with my 1440p monitor and tbf I'll probs be only playing old games by then MP wise if I'm bothered that much)
I hear bad things about the amd software that it's very hit or miss? which is a shame as I do prefer amd over intel for example and always had more ati cards than nvidia back in the day...

Soldato
I think the stories about amd software are long over with, a bit like saying Skoda are crap cars (might have been 20 years ago but not now) same with amd software, people always seem to fall back on that one, whereas, other than an issue with rx5700 drivers a while back, which was sorted fairly quickly, theres been no probs reported that I know of with amd drivers recently, and I personally have never had a problem, in fact I'd go as far as to say that that amd drivers the same , if not better than nvidia's (that last comment might open a can of worms :)

Permabanned
OP
If the games you play have ray-tracing and/or DLSS then the 3080, if not then the cheaper of the two, which i'm fairly sure would be the 6800XT.
yeah I'm pretty sure 3080 12gb at £839.99 off ocuk is the backup plan should my personal belief we'll get screwed on the 4070-80 series pricing and availability come November or December. as by then I'll have waited another six months so I'm not waiting any longer after that haha

Soldato
yeah I'm pretty sure 3080 12gb at £839.99 off ocuk is the backup plan should my personal belief we'll get screwed on the 4070-80 series pricing and availability come November or December. as by then I'll have waited another six months so I'm not waiting any longer after that haha
If that happens there's every chance people will be scrambling for the last of the old cards so there's no guarantee that card/price will still be available.

Permabanned
OP
As always, timing is everything ;)
Yeah what with the worry of a predicted 450w tdp of the 4070-80 I might just say sod it and stick to my guns and get a 3080 12gb whilst they're available, either the £830 one on ocuk or direct from nvidia should one pop up again, then undervolt it and lock the fps to 60-100 for SP then unlock for MP when I cba to play it online and take advatange of my 180hz 1440p monitor that I plan on getting!

Soldato
Yeah what with the worry of a predicted 450w tdp of the 4070-80 I might just say sod it and stick to my guns and get a 3080 12gb whilst they're available, either the £830 one on ocuk or direct from nvidia should one pop up again, then undervolt it and lock the fps to 60-100 for SP then unlock for MP when I cba to play it online and take advatange of my 180hz 1440p monitor that I plan on getting!
I'm fairly sure that the 4000 series will be powerhogs.. however, as long as pricing doesn't go nuts you could always get a new gen gpu and undervolt/underclock it and still get more performance and the same power draw. Goes for both team green and red. Current gen, while perfectly fine gaming gpus, are getting a bit old and unless the deal is really good I wouldn't buy new right now. Just my personal opinion.

Permabanned
OP
I'm fairly sure that the 4000 series will be powerhogs.. however, as long as pricing doesn't go nuts you could always get a new gen gpu and undervolt/underclock it and still get more performance and the same power draw. Goes for both team green and red. Current gen, while perfectly fine gaming gpus, are getting a bit old and unless the deal is really good I wouldn't buy new right now. Just my personal opinion.
yeah I'd rather next gen but I'm genuinely worried even undervolted its still gonna be around 3-350w tdp and costing me stupid money a month if I wanna play 4-8 hours or an eve or whole weekends etc.

Soldato
yeah I'd rather next gen but I'm genuinely worried even undervolted its still gonna be around 3-350w tdp and costing me stupid money a month if I wanna play 4-8 hours or an eve or whole weekends etc.
Sure if you only undervolt and nothing else you might pull a 450 watt card down to 400.. but if you include some underclocking as well you can basicly make it as low as you want. Remember that the reason for these new GPUs to be likely powerhogs is because they are pushed way past their sweetspot. So lets say you ease the clocks back 20% while undervolting also I wouldn't be surprised if the power savings would be in the 40% ballpark and if thats the case you would see a 450 watt card running at around 270watts with only a 20% performance loss. 270 watts is not bad.. heck 300watts wouldn't be bad either for that much performance. If you stick to the x70 or x60 class gpu the numbers would be even smaller by a fair margin.

Permabanned
OP
Sure if you only undervolt and nothing else you might pull a 450 watt card down to 400.. but if you include some underclocking as well you can basicly make it as low as you want. Remember that the reason for these new GPUs to be likely powerhogs is because they are pushed way past their sweetspot. So lets say you ease the clocks back 20% while undervolting also I wouldn't be surprised if the power savings would be in the 40% ballpark and if thats the case you would see a 450 watt card running at around 270watts with only a 20% performance loss. 270 watts is not bad.. heck 300watts wouldn't be bad either for that much performance. If you stick to the x70 or x60 class gpu the numbers would be even smaller by a fair margin.
yeah we'll see what the availability/reviews/pricing is like come end of nov when I have the dollar.

Caporegime
or just use msi after burner and put a power % limit which will restrict the max clock the card can reach anyway.

I'm playing world of warships right now which is'nt a demanding game to say the least but with afterburner power limit set to 54% and NVDA drivers set to maximum power saving my cards pulling 27watts in menu screens and 40 watts in the actual battles.
downclocked itself all the way to 600mhz with no performance loss

Back
Top Bottom