First Home - Renovation Project

Associate
OP
New guttering install

The old guttering had seen better days, it had started discolouring and filled with debris quickly because there was zero fall. As mentioned above I went with 600mm centers for the brackets to prevent any warping or sagging from heat, snow or dirt and made sure there was a bracket close to any couplers or downpipe connectors (Most suppliers suggest a bracket should be within 150-300mm of a join). You'll be surprised how many fitters treat couplers as a bracket because there's a screw hole for it, overtime you will see both joins sag inwards to it slightly and fill with dirt.

How to:
I fitted one bracket inline with the square to half-round connector and the other the other end bracket 7mm lower (4 meter length) to get the fall right. Then simply tied builders string (nylon) both ends to get my level and drilled the brackets every 600mm off that.

kbbwb4.jpg

2n8z90.jpg

Square to Half-round converter - This was hard work to fit with the scaffolding.
dn0i9k.jpg

n6t9ms.jpg

Perfect fall :)
35bxnh5.jpg

I can't express enough how much I hate this ridge tile... It had to come off.
hsrl91.jpg

Associate
OP
Awesome standard of work. Nice spotting with that issue on the roof!!

There was further issues with the bay roof, the felt had perished and exposed the wall plate which started to rot. I started off changing the guttering, then ended up rebuilding the roof :p I'm just glad it fell on a bank holiday weekend...

24e7x1w.jpg

jjlmrb.jpg

The wall plate had rotten so bad on that corner it had come away from the beam and was relying on the rafter that was barely holding.
2vnjtw5.jpg

Please don't judge my makeshift repairs too harshly :p It was soild by the time I finished and we treated all the old timber with rot and insect treatment before re-felting.
2wqd8yg.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Roofing continued,

We fitted new felt, batten and felt support trays - The felt support trays were used to prevent sagging and protect the slightly exposed wall plate (Thanks to the poorly fitted fascia board). We replaced all the tiles too as some broke when taking off the old ridge tile and didn't want all different colours showing from the repair work.

1zp2pkx.jpg

nvxl5j.jpg

I got to the hip rafter (angled part) and realised I'm not a roofer and didn't have the tools to cut in new tiles... :o
2ika5wk.jpg

I bought a 9" angle grinder with a diamond core disc to cut through the tiles, big fan of Ryobi after using this - Bargain at £68.
2ur1i5s.jpg

4gkadw.jpg

2ppbyw7.jpg

Associate
OP
Satellite dish fitted - I didn't want the satellite dish installed in the front of the house because of the trees + I find they can ruin the look sometimes.

I went with a Triax 64 dish and Smart Titanium lnb because they were both white (to blend in with cloud better) and highly rated online for quality. The dish is corrosion resistant and the mount/anchors are galvanised or stainless steel as I really don't fancy rust staining the wall over time!

2a6ov86.jpg

8wb5zq.jpg

qsv3ow.jpg

CCTV reinstalled (1 at the rear, 1 at the side enterance, 1 at front steps and 1 at front door)
tah54y.jpg

I've ordered a Rain Shade for this one (DS-1250ZJ)
2nv9opd.jpg

An extra camera on the way...
dls1ts.jpg

1zdpy4n.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Satellite dish fitted - I didn't want the satellite dish installed in the front of the house because of the trees + I find they can ruin the look sometimes.

I went with a Triax 64 dish and Smart Titanium lnb because they were both white (to blend in with cloud better) and highly rated online for quality. The dish is corrosion resistant and the mount/anchors are galvanised or stainless steel as I really don't fancy rust staining the wall over time!

2a6ov86.jpg

8wb5zq.jpg

qsv3ow.jpg

CCTV reinstalled (1 at the rear, 1 at the side enterance, 1 at front steps and 1 at front door)
tah54y.jpg

I've ordered a Rain Shade for this one (DS-1250ZJ)
2nv9opd.jpg

An extra camera on the way...
dls1ts.jpg

1zdpy4n.jpg

Soldato
Great job, I've just looked through the entire thread! You've had some ups and downs but it really does look fantastic. I've taken away some ideas from the bathroom and also like the CCTV setup that you have!

If you don't mind me asking are you able to give a bit of a basic breakdown on the costs of the work so far? :) I don't think you have mentioned much about the financials (no problem is you don't want to).

Thanks!

Associate
OP
How come you added render to the external brickwork? It looked pretty good before the render was applied?

We had problems with water ingress and existing render was starting to fail on the gable end. More detail below:

Another message said:
You've done a great job on the house so far. Just a little disappointed you rendered over that beautiful stone. I'm sure you had your reasons, but living in an area where you get brick or render, I would love to have a house made of stone like yours.

I completely agree with you but it needed to be done unfortunately, the gable end had already been rendered so it could never have been restored to its former glory and there had been a lot of patch work around the kitchen window which was letting water in. The rear wall next to the garden gate had been poorly strap pointed and covered some of the stonework, so there was a high risk of damaging the stone during the restoration. The only part which we could have pointed was the adjoining wall but the builders used a lot of rubble stone and there was large gaps to fill - This is fine for traditional lime render which could rely on aggregates to support the right joint widths but concrete isn't so flexible and will eventually fail with heat, frost, weathering, movement etc. So in the end; we concluded it would be a lot of cost for what it was worth - we had to meet in the middle with costs, function & form by rendering the back and restoring the dress stone at the front.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks fantastic!
icon14.gif

What a difference the repointing, new render and paint has made. It looks really sharp and crisp, and gives a great finish :cool:

Associate
OP
Last few days on the roof, going to miss the views :)

j7xm4h.jpg

w9ivd2.jpg

Installed a couple of Ubbink air vents to prevent condensation in the attic. It wasn't something I had a problem with but I'll be building a fire wall between us and the neighbours soon which could have an impact on heat/ventilation. Knowing me I'll end up installing some Velex windows and converting the loft at the same time haha!

fkcntg.jpg

21m6u5d.jpg

I couldn't separate the vents any further a part because of the roof rafter spacing.

29gndaw.jpg

A Hikvision rain shade to shield the front camera from the elements:

2ijlzd2.jpg

2nu0osk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Great thread! Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I'd hate to be your neighbour though haha.

Just a quick question, is this going to be your "forever home"? Is there not a ceiling price on the road you're on? Will the amount of work you've done actually add enough value to the house for it all to be worthwhile?

Soldato
I hadn't read this thread for a while so started from the beginning - it's very inspiring to see it all taking shape.

How much more (%) do you have before it is move-in complete?

I may have to pick your brains again sometime about the cameras - they are hugely impressive.

Soldato
Sometimes its not about 'profit'.

+1 this.

Sometimes you just want to buy and do up a property how you like. Then live in and not worry about doing this and not doing that incase you don't recoup the costs back.

It doesn't really matter if you plan to live there for the foreseeable future.

Associate
OP
What DVR do you use with the cameras?

I recommend a NVR (Network Video Recorder), two suitable Hikvision models:
  • DS-7604NI-E1/4P - (Up to 4 cameras)
  • DS-7608NI-E2/8P - (Up to 8 cameras)
There are known compatibility issues with mixing regional products, don't risk the cheaper chinese hardware with a EU/UK NVR - make sure you stick to a matching set. I personally went with UK based sellers for the after sales support.

Associate
OP
Great thread! Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I'd hate to be your neighbour though haha.

Just a quick question, is this going to be your "forever home"? Is there not a ceiling price on the road you're on? Will the amount of work you've done actually add enough value to the house for it all to be worthwhile?

Haha I'm not that bad, will be nice and quiet once it's finished :rolleyes:

Sometimes its not about 'profit'.

+1 this.

Sometimes you just want to buy and do up a property how you like. Then live in and not worry about doing this and not doing that incase you don't recoup the costs back.

It doesn't really matter if you plan to live there for the foreseeable future.

It's not about profit but I'm still very aware about the equity - I bought the proper in 2013 before prices started catching up again, so I started off with a good price and competitive mortgage rate (over 20 years). Last year my bank informed me that the house value had gone up £10,000 when they checked the local/regional averages in their system, bare in mind they don't even know about all the work I've done to it yet. There's a house one street over which is nearly an identical semi-detached with a dated decor on the market for 135K, it doesn't include a front garden and is on a busy road.

Throughout this work I've been very aware of my spending, house values in the area and I'm confident there's equity in my property if I was to sell up.

Like others have said though, its not been about profit - I could have skimped on a lot of things if that was the case but I want to enjoy living in it too :)

If you don't mind me asking are you able to give a bit of a basic breakdown on the costs of the work so far? :) I don't think you have mentioned much about the financials (no problem is you don't want to).Thanks!

Most of the labouring/guttering just cost our time and basic material, the priciest jobs were electrics, plumbing, rendering and plastering. Here's a rough idea on some of the costs ;)

Paid:
  • Plumber - £2200 labour
  • Electrician - £1500 labour
  • Renderer - £7000 labour and material (included scaffolding + repointing)
Budgeted:
  • New kitchen - £4000 + appliances
  • Flooring - £2000 labour and materials

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom