First motorbike looking to pass CBT

Soldato
Hi folks, for the first time ever I'm interested in motorbikes. No idea why, Ive had fast cars in past but now happy with a 3cyl diesel. Maybe because just turned 50 & stopped taking social media so see green symbols everywhere :p. Thing is, 2 days ago I knew nothing about motorbikes.
Been watching Itchy Boots on YouTube & her adventures are awesome.

Passed car test 1990 & still use the paper license so don't know if needs updating for class A?
I've driven all sorts of cars/vans up to 7.5t & an avid gravel cyclist taking camera everywhere at 30miles per meal.
Off road motorbiking does not appeal to me unless it's in Timbuktu. More being one with the World like on a cycle -but with greater range :cry:

Someone said do the CBT to see if I like it before getting a bike -where hopefully they throw in the gear/bike.
As far as getting a bike, I've been advised go Japanese. I'd guess something not too big/fast at first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
I would guess we are about the same age as I passed my test in ‘92. I’ve done the CBT 3 times and had 125cc scooters and bikes previously. They are great fun but you soon tire of L plates and no more than 70mph performance. That said, no better way to confirm your interest! Enjoy.

Soldato
Hi folks, for the first time ever I'm interested in motorbikes. No idea why, Ive had fast cars in past but now happy with a 3cyl diesel. Maybe because just turned 50 & stopped taking social media so see green symbols everywhere :p. Thing is, 2 days ago I knew nothing about motorbikes.

Passed car test 1990 & still use the paper license so don't know if needs updating for class A?
I've driven all sorts of cars/vans up to 7.5t & an avid gravel cyclist taking camera everywhere at 30miles per meal.
Off road motorbiking does not appeal to me unless it's in Timbuktu. More being one with the World like on a cycle -but with greater range :cry:

Someone said do the CBT to see if I like it before getting a bike -where hopefully they throw in the gear/bike.
As far as getting a bike, I've been advised go Japanese. I'd guess something not too big/fast at first.

I'm taking my cbt in just over a week and have a kawasaki ninja 125 waiting for me. I've ditched the car for commuting and gone 2 wheels.
Dont really need 2 cars in the family and will save a chunk of cash, even with buying a brand new bike.

Soldato

Hi, I’m also 50. Passed my test 2018.
I quite like the Honda City Fly as a first bike, depends on how tall you are really.
I had a Honda Varadero 125

Associate
My first bike and I've had 3 of them in the past is the Honda CG 125.

I only use a 125s to get to work, I currently have the Honda CB125R neo café sports in matte grey.

Good luck and have fun.

Associate
Used to ride bikes when I lived in London as it was the best way to get around. Started off with an Aprilia RS125, great fun but soon get tired of the restriction and 2-stroke noise. Did my Direct Access and went straight onto a green Ninja ZX6R which opened up a whole new world of biking, including the great community. Got tired of it carbing up in winter so moved onto a fuel injected Suzuki GSXR600 and loved that bike. Had a shot of an R1 but was mental fast for our roads.

Had a car hit me in each bike and each impact progressively worse with the last one ripping all the tendons in my ankles even with boots on. Gave up after that because every time a car appears at a junction in front I would tense up and stress out thinking that they haven't seen me and will pull out. The fun was lost. But then it was mainly commuting so the worse times and also in London where drivers would go through roundabouts in the wrong direction. I still get annoyed to this day when people don't use their indicators as it doesn't give bikers much of a chance.

I still miss it though, would probably do touring type riding now rather than supersports bikes, but the roads are so busy now and the standard of driving so poor that I would be hesitant.

Soldato
OP
The CBT then a 125 looks the way to go, not keen on a 2stroke & adding oil but hey. The roads aren’t too bad in Stoke on Trent. Didn’t think height came into biking but I’m 6ft tall. I’ll keep cycling & running an Audi A2, not like it will go rusty.
As far as an eventual bike, a dream is travel world like Itchy Boots, dream being key word.

Man of Honour
Congrats on the best decision of your life. Also do yourself a favour and watch Ed March's C90 Adventures :D

I would recommend an old used Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CBF 125. You will get your money back when selling and they are reliable. I learned on a YBR and loved it. I made a small profit on the YBR when selling it, which was nice.

Put money aside for full kit (helmet, armoured jacket, armoured trousers, armoured boots and armoured gloves). Also money for security (chain, disk lock, maybe a cover).

Lastly, don't let my recent broken leg, broken hand, nerve issues and lung clot put you off :eek: :D. But seriously, do put money aside for full gear. It saved my life.

Soldato
OP
Thanks yeah full gear is a priority. Enquiring about a CBT as have 2 days off next week. I did think about going straight into a full 'A' class but have never ridden a motorbike so better learn on a 125 as I'm not bothered about speed.
Doing some research on which 125 & saving hard.
I'm used to cycling up to 30mph in a t-shirt :rolleyes: but walked past a bike shop yesterday & they looked a bit scary :eek:

Man of Honour
sportsbikeshop is a good place to look for gear. They have shops but also a massive online store.

I did my CBT then rode my 125 for a few months followed by several consecutive days training for my full license and test. You will also need a motorcycle theory test before you can take the full license. There was a massive backlog for everything including the theory test when I did mine. So you might want to get that booked in.

Associate
My grandfather taught me to ride a 125 when i was 14 (on private land). I had an old Honda CM125. After that i didn't touch a bike again until last year (I'm now 36) when i decided to do my Direct Access. I'd 100% recommend doing your CBT then riding a 125 for a few months to get used to how a bike handles before doing your full licence and moving onto the bigger bikes.

Get used to cancelling indicators after a turn as they're not automatic on a bike. Positioning on the road. Clutch control / Slipping clutch when approaching or leaving a junction etc. These are all skills that you will be taught during your lessons but like they say, practice makes perfect..

Associate
Definitely get all the gear; the week before my third and final accident where my tendons were all ripped I had been wearing just an office suit, shoes and helmet because it was so hot. Decided to put all my bike gear back on the following week and glad I did because according to the paramedics I would have lost both my feet without the armoured boots.

Associate
on your license you can ride a 50cc moped but will need to get a CBT for a 125, also to go full A license addition you will end up getting a photo license back.

Also consider going for a DAS course to be able to riding any bike then make your choice of which cc you want, this will mean that you skip A1/A2 and saves yourself a couple of tests :)

Soldato
on your license you can ride a 50cc moped but will need to get a CBT for a 125, also to go full A license addition you will end up getting a photo license back.

Also consider going for a DAS course to be able to riding any bike then make your choice of which cc you want, this will mean that you skip A1/A2 and saves yourself a couple of tests :)
A1-A2 is only if you’re under 24, if you’re over 24 you automatically get put through category A anyway. :)

Caporegime
Congrats on the best decision of your life. Also do yourself a favour and watch Ed March's C90 Adventures :D

I would recommend an old used Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CBF 125. You will get your money back when selling and they are reliable. I learned on a YBR and loved it. I made a small profit on the YBR when selling it, which was nice.

Put money aside for full kit (helmet, armoured jacket, armoured trousers, armoured boots and armoured gloves). Also money for security (chain, disk lock, maybe a cover).

Lastly, don't let my recent broken leg, broken hand, nerve issues and lung clot put you off :eek: :D. But seriously, do put money aside for full gear. It saved my life.

Some excellent advice here.

I'll add that gear and locks can all be used on any bike, you'll never not need it so get the best you can afford.

If you're committed to this, then buy your own gear for the CBT. The gear provided by the trainers tends to be manky as they ride in all conditions, and wet gear that isn't dried properly will stink like hell.

Soldato
OP
Can't believe the encouragement & advice here :D
My parents always steered me away from bikes & not allowed bring one home. As father had a head on bike crash+2 weak coma before I was born... Got a car & forgot about bikes. Else I'd have done a bike test decades ago as always loved cycling.

Man of Honour
Forgot to mention; go to a proper shop to get the helmet fitted. Different brands and models are made for different shaped heads. Some fit different people better than others. Because you're new you won't know what a good fit feels like.

Back
Top Bottom