First motorbike looking to pass CBT

Soldato
OP
Racked up 300miles in first week so had to limit outings until first service 15/06 no more than 620miles else lose 2yr warranty.
Every time I go for a ride I learn something or take a corner better. Picking up counter steering so push on left grip to turn left then lean rigid with the bike & not keep body upright which is what I was doing at first. Now learning to pre-load the gear by resting foot on shifter just before change which results in a smoother change. Blipping the throttle before a downshift is beyond me for now.
Sharp right corners are a bit daunting but getting better & more confident... Just taking it east :)

Soldato
OP
Put genuine round mirrors on & looks better. Kept her inside over winter & still went out to practice for tests.
Mod1 practice a week before mod1 below, only 5min stints to protect the clutch:

With a local bike school I passed mod1 2 weeks ago in Burton on Trent on a Kawasaki z650 -I found not a pleasant bike to ride bar power, a bit too low & vibrated lots with drop bars.
Passed mod2 yesterday on the z650 in Newcastle under Lyme, so a full 'A' license now :D

The Husqvarna 125 has 3500 miles & don't really want to ride it now even with no L plates. Glad I spent time learning on the Husky though, as cornering dramatically started improving after 6months.
Going give her a good detail & glad kept inside over winter. Looking to sell or part-ex for a Honda CB500X preferably 22 model year change. A new NX500 makes more sense for another £2-3k with TFT dash etc but the looks don't gel with me plus the cost atm.

Soldato
OP
The Confused website confused me. A 650 70hp V-Strom is cheaper to insure than a 500 45hp CB500X. Plus a V-Strom is a better size for me with being tall. Will have to sit on one but try not get emotional on the first bike I sit on :)

Associate
Maybe ownership demographics. Similar happens with cars right. Kids buy the fiesta and crash it, dads buy mondeos and don't. Clever kid buys Mondeo and saves money! :)

So... get a GS :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep, I did some quotes recently and a Triumph Speed Twin 1200 and Triumph Tiger 900 are both way cheaper than a Honda Transalp 750. It doesn't seem to have much to do with engine size.

Having said that, the CB500X is cheaper than almost everything else for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had a sit on a V-Strom today & can easily flat foot it with an upright riding position, so all good. There's a fairly large Triumph dealer nearby in Tunstall & the Tiger 900 looks cracking, though would take a long while save for.
Going save for 3 months then part-ex the Husky to get a 1 or 2yr old V-Strom 650 as they seem quite common. It will mean not riding the Husky to maintain its value which is a shame & I'll give her a good detail & probably a ride once a month to keep healthy.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Yep, I did some quotes recently and a Triumph Speed Twin 1200 and Triumph Tiger 900 are both way cheaper than a Honda Transalp 750. It doesn't seem to have much to do with engine size.

Having said that, the CB500X is cheaper than almost everything else for me.
A lot of it will be down to whats the most popular with the thieving scrotes atm, obviously there are other factors that come into play as well but if a certain model of bike is right at the top of the most likely to be stolen list, especialy in your neck of the woods, then that will come into play in the quotes your getting.

Soldato
OP
Will lose £1200 to part-ex the Svartpilen but that's the price you pay for convenience & will mean another 6weeks on beans & toast watching it rain lol. Only way sell before get 1yr no-claims in May so no interruption is if have understanding buyer & line up a V-Strom to switch over the same day, as in checkout / test ride & put down a deposit to carry a few days I guess prior to a certain sale of Svartpilen.

As the Svartpilen 125 was new from dealer I did not test ride it. If I got a 2yr old V-Strom (still in warranty) that looked & sounded good is it still wise or normal to test ride?

Soldato
OP
Going look at a CB500X tomorrow. 2021 £5k 2300 miles with crashbar, USB, Oxford heated grips & very good condition. This mileage is nothing for a Honda & may as well be new but do need watch rust so will be smelling sweet with ACF50 :cry:
Pity not 2022 model with improved forks, but it is a first proper bike after all & my skills won't get best out of handling yet.
Gotta sell my bike first but not £800 less than value to the WeBuy place.

Soldato
OP
Went local Honda dealer. Sat on CB500X for first time & even though same seat height as Svartpilen it felt higher as seat wider & feet just comfy flat footed.
The last CB500X remained in black, priced 6800 but advised its now 6200 then they could probably do a sub 6000 deal. Well, we appear to be in a buyers market :)

2022 model year inc NX have much improved SHOWA forks, so a new CB500X at 5900 makes the 2021 CB500X 2300miles at 5000 I was going look at today a poor deal, so I cancelled the viewing... Something is only worth what someone will pay for it!

Granted, the new CB500X I saw today is basic with no extras & my least favourite colour: black, but not quite enough for that today.
Going hang on a month or two & build up some more money & maybe sell Svartpilen in May when get NCB & don't need sell/buy same day.
Going give the Svartpilen a good clean & detail because you never know :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Went local Honda dealer. Sat on CB500X for first time & even though same seat height as Svartpilen it felt higher as seat wider & feet just comfy flat footed.
The last CB500X remained in black, priced 6800 but advised its now 6200 then they could probably do a sub 6000 deal. Well, we appear to be in a buyers market :)

2022 model year inc NX have much improved SHOWA forks, so a new CB500X at 5900 makes the 2021 CB500X 2300miles at 5000 I was going look at today a poor deal, so I cancelled the viewing... Something is only worth what someone will pay for it!

Granted, the new CB500X I saw today is basic with no extras & my least favourite colour: black, but not quite enough for that today.
Going hang on a month or two & build up some more money & maybe sell Svartpilen in May when get NCB & don't need sell/buy same day.
Going give the Svartpilen a good clean & detail because you never know :D
I'm increasingly tempted to get back into biking. The bikes I've been looking at are a used Triumph Tiger 900 (which I've just about ruled out due to reducing my budget and I don't need such a capable bike), possibly a used Triumph Speed Twin 1200 (which is just a faster more modern looking version of the Bonneville T120 I had) or a used Honda CB500X. Although the CB500X on paper simply doesn't compare to the other two, I keep coming back to the fact I think it would be a great all round bike for a cracking price. I think you'll love the CB500X. Set a budget and stick to it. It's always tempting to allow the price to creep up to get the newer model with the better forks or brakes etc. But try to stick to the budget and allow some money for good quality gear. Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tiger 900 does look the business & my instructor had one so they must be reliable. The Speed Twin sounds awesome, just the lack of a fly screen for long journeys.

I started looking at the CB500X months ago as a first bike which sounds like ItchyBoots bike as watch her vlogs every week. It does review as a great all rounder & just doing 70 all day may be an effort, though I'll probably only need do 70 for a hour or two once in a blue moon. A 22+ CB500X is my target atm, but could be May.

Soldato
OP
Picking up a CB500X in a week. Could have waited a month & got the NX500 but after seeing in person it did not look right... The stubby nose didn't suit it, unlike the larger Transalp. NX500 dash is better though with turn by turn navigation & BT voice/music etc. though a bit dumb compared to the Transalp.

Research now commences using money saved not getting a NX :D
*Which tank bag, do they all have a strap for carrying or can they be locked to bike. Already have a rear strap on bag for locks, waterproof leggings, first aid.
*Which crash guard, already learned to reduce vibration the engine needs to run a few minutes before tightening the bolts.
*I have a Beeline but for longer trips a satnav is probably better, so use phone on fly flyscreen rail or tablet (IP67) or dedicated satnav. Can a tablet be used as a dash-cam to auto-record at engine start then load navigation (ahh ADB).
*Which pannier bags or top box for long trips in summer.
*Didn't have a choice of colour & it's matt black. Which extra running lights presumably mounted on crash guard.
*How to fit a connector for heated grips, running lights & USB (before crash guard install).
*Build a side gate to make it harder for the local bike thieves. Maybe get a shed.

Man of Honour
@juno_first Congrats. Exciting times. The NX really is just a facelift CB so no real point paying the extra unless you strongly prefer the NX looks (which you say you don't). So it sounds like the right decision.

For bolts that vibrate loose then try some thread lock.

As for the extra electronics on the NX I am going to make a suggestion. It was what I will be doing when I get a new bike eventually if I need to take a long trip... Take a look at:

Tablet - Any Android phone but I will suggest a used 8 inch Samsung Tab Active 3 (IP68, waterproof, dustproof, vibration proof, designed for use with gloves, some physical buttons).
Launcher: Drive Mode 2 (DMD2). This only works on Android but is designed as a launcher for motorcycle riding apps.
Mount: A Brodit locking cradle for the Samsung Tab Active 3. Lockable so you can leave it on the bike while at the petrol station etc.
Controller: This is a nice to have but not essential. You can get waterproof bluetooth controllers for DMD2 which mount on the handlebars and can be used without the tablet touchscreen (e.g. Carpe Iter controllers get good reviews).
ODB2: If you add a bluetooth ODB2 controller you may be able to find an app to record various engine events.
Comms: Add whatever bluetooth comms you want to you helmet and it will integrate in to the above.
Satnav: Whichever one(s) you want that run on Android.

Basically the DMD2 launcher brings it all together and makes it feel more coherent. But you can add whatever you want to it. If you want to take a look before buying anything then install it on your phone if you have Android. Or there are various youtube videos about it. If I ended up with a Tiger 900 I was going to install this permanently. If I get the Speed Twin then it probably won't suit the aesthetic but would still be useful I think. But it would add a lot to the CB500X when on long journeys.

Brodit passive holder with key lock (some people report issues with the actively powered version in dust and rain so I suggest the passive one and a waterproof USB cable):

Handlebar controllers:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
May go the Brodie / Tab way in future but for now I'm using the common Quad Lock as much simpler get going straight away. Already have Copilot for iPhone, Android & Windows Mobile (remember that).

*Puig Engine Guard £121 -2 bolts on engine each side so less vibration than full wrap around bar
*Exhaust Protector Cover £12 -Engine Guard not protect exhaust

*Running lights mounted on Engine Guards -by switch to power under seat

*Quad Lock Motorcycle Handlebar Mount £38
*Quad Lock Wireless Charging Head £65 -wire or USB, how best connect to power under seat considering running lights & future Tablet?
*Quad Lock MAG Case for iPhone 12 mini £33 -if phone damaged by vibration it needs replacing anyway

*bobbins £15

*Tank bag -pending research

*side panniers & or top box -pending research

Soldato
OP
Shopping list is evolving as research is done for each item esp crash bar.

*SW-Motech Crash bar Honda CB500X (16-) Black -connect in front of radiator

*radiator guard

*handlebar grip guards -Barkbuster S7?

*Zumo XT2 -check can mount on navigation rail or need adapter / power

*Tank bag -magnetic or fuel-cap, carry strap or lock

*Running lights mounted on a beak rail - switched yellow/white? / power-relay

*headlight guard -stick on

*bobbins

Soldato
OP
Research is time consuming but expect good results. Reckon you're right Hades about the Brodit way. Just got a s/h Samsung Active Tab 3 £150 & found Brodit active charge/lock mount & trying figure out which Brodit pipe mount for navigation rail but only 2 bolts so wondering if 4 bolt SW-Motech is better (if Brodit mount is visa 75).
Beauty about the Tab 3 is no battery option so should boot up when turn on ignition & power off with bike, so no need set the boot loader to power up if that was possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom