First upgrade in years!

Associate
EDIT 22nd Feb 2019:
See post 58 (Sorry I don't how to put link down to post)

I have been doing some research over the past few days and have come up with the below spec.
I think it maybe slightly over the top so please correct where needed.
I wanted it to be future proof but I don't think there is such a thing, just maybe a life span of 2-3 years running max settings.

Usage:
Oculus Rift (Purchased last week)
I like a variety of games, mostly single player but some multiplayer. Racing, FPS and pretty much anything else at times.
I really wanted 4K but after reading here today it looks like 144 is the better option for a while till monitors improve.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,868.52
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Last edited:
Associate
A nice build with a few niggles- if you're going for a 3000 pound machine, get an M.2 NVME SSD like a Samsung 960 EVO. It's faster, you can afford it, your system will appreciate it.
Also, 5400RPM hard drives are slow as snails. Get at least a 7200RPM drive.

Also, the G3 powersupplies are out from EVGA and have some improvements over G2. You might as well buy the latest IMO.

Other than that it should be a very powerful gaming PC. I have that monitor. It's nice.

BTW you can get away with 4Ghz on a much lesser motherboard like a Strix B350 F. It'll get the job done. Handsome board as well.

Soldato
Soldato

if you want to keep the price down, go 1700 over the 1700x and overclock it like in the 8-Pack bundles
also worth checking out the Pure base 600 with its full glass panel over the 800. Its based on the Pro 900 more then the Silent 600 and is more modular and looks nicer and can pack in as much fans :)

Associate
OP

Associate
Does that case have provision for a 3.5" front panel device? I'm not familiar with it.
Build looks very solid to me. The only niggle I have at this point is that CX power supply. Corsair doesn't even recommend it for midrange gaming builds, let alone higher end stuff like what you're building here.
Protect your investment with a high quality power supply, which that CX is not. Maybe look at an EVGA G3 powersupply in your desired wattage (No such thing as an overkill powersupply as putting less load on it will increase lifespan and keep PSU temps down. Though at a certain point you're just wasting money)

And always plug your PC into a quality surge protector, or if you can afford it, a Sine wave UPS in the appropriate capacity.

Soldato
Are you doing any content creation such as video editing/rendering or twitch streaming ? If not then a 6 core R5 1600 would be plenty for the cpu.

I would swap out the WD Black for a Seagate Barracuda (Green label).

You will be fine with a 550W psu for a single gpu. The Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be my choice.

An NVMe SSD won't make a huge difference over a regular SATA. No harm in keeping it though if it fits in your budget.

An IPS panel would give you better colour reproduction than a TN. This AOC G-Sync 1440p is cheaper.

Total: £611.09
(includes shipping: £11.10)

As mention by mistersprinkles that case doesn't have a 3.5" bay. You can buy converters such as the one below. Not sure if it is suitable for that case so maybe best to ask ocuk first.

Total: £22.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
OP
Ok I spent all last night reading up and I think I have it pretty much sorted now.
The monitor posted above does seem like the best option at present.
I changed the CPU to the 1600X because from what I have read, it is more than enough for just gaming (will it be ok for 4K gaming when a decent monitor comes along?) & VR but please correct me if I am wrong.
EVGA G3 PSU added back in and I am not completely convinced the M.2 drive makes a massive difference over a standard SSD, but I might as well give it a go.

Total: £2,570.09
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Soldato
Ok I spent all last night reading up and I think I have it pretty much sorted now.
The monitor posted above does seem like the best option at present.
I changed the CPU to the 1600X because from what I have read, it is more than enough for just gaming (will it be ok for 4K gaming when a decent monitor comes along?) & VR but please correct me if I am wrong.
EVGA G3 PSU added back in and I am not completely convinced the M.2 drive makes a massive difference over a standard SSD, but I might as well give it a go.

Total: £2,570.09
(includes shipping: £15.30)

looks good dude! might be worth ditching the 1600x to the 1600 version!
I hit 3.9Ghz with mine - but was on 3000hz ram

ZJH8J0T.jpg

might also want to switch to silent loop 360
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-silent-loop-superior-liquid-cpu-cooler-360mm-hs-01a-bq.html

same price- extra bit more room for cooling and should run quieter but you loose the flashy RGB and not sure how CAM software is now- other might be able to comment
would fit nicely at the top of the 600 with cool air from the front fans :D

5as6vhO.jpg
went a bit over board with push pull haha

Last edited:
Soldato

nope, i got mine from OCUK / Caseking UK last week. basically alphacool have made their kit pretty much universal , only the Intel 11** chips sets need the supplied backing plate. This one bolted straight into the stock backplate! but had to tape it down at the back to make life easier lol

Just see the stock back plate bolt
lIRLaB0.jpg
not going to lie, alpha made the intel backplate a mission and is a pain to install but AMD version does away with it

Soldato
@{{INX}}
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-1-gramm-th-020-tg.html !!!!

tube you got is quite a lot of applications ! that small one should be good for 3/4 mounts - used it on the Aorus build for Ryzen core and the two Aorus RX cards :)

might be worth @8 Pack input on the ram- i know his version is Samsung B Die- not sure one ones you've selected and if he's ran hes hit on your board. I know his 3200 kit can run to 3333hz on some ryzen boards/chips - Only thing i can think of - bar the 500GB drive, is that just OS or will over programs go on it ? I use 256GB for just OS drives on a few builds - if its a gaming drive then fair play - even if OS and you've got the cash- can never turn down to much storage haha

Associate
OP
Thanks 8 Pack, I just clicked order on previous basket just before you posted. Is it possible to amend my order to your suggested memory?

Soldato
I have tried my B Dies on that Board and working fine. Thpse Dark Pro are Hynix so 3200 Is for sure not a given.

Take these mems instead for 3200+ no issues just enable DOCP.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

Thanks 8 Pack, I just clicked order on previous basket just before you posted. Is it possible to amend my order to your suggested memory?

thought id ask the guy big for reviews and seems was worth it.
Give OCUK a call and should be able to change it for you. but be quick as they tend to get stuff together fast haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxKAxtj8LY
29 secs in and you see the 360 AIO mounted to it

Soldato
Cheers mate will give them a call in a minute

http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_series/purebase600/purebase600_mn_en.pdf

just double checking the 360 rad up top will be tight with the 5.3" bay- although they didn't state this to well other wise. From reviews and images looks like 360 would sit inside it

not sure if they would be able to double check

from video have 280 infront of the case with tubing taking up the bottom bay. again any reviews doesn't show it the unit can fit nicely between the Cage unit

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at this Kitguru review it seems you might have issues with that 360mm AIO. The review states that it clashed with G.Skill Trident Z Ram which I would imagine isn't any taller than the Team Group Ram. As for putting it in the front it seems you would have to remove the 5.25" bay so you would have nowhere to put your USB panel.

Quote from the link below:

We have one major complaint about the nature of the Pure Base 600 which is that it theoretically supports up to a 360mm radiator in the roof or a 280mm/360mm in the front.

Well yes, up to a point. The Pure Base 600 needs to be taller for one thing, ideally 10mm or so. This would have allowed us to install a be quiet! Silent Loop All In One in the roof but instead it clashed with our chosen G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 memory. You can take it from us the TridentZ is not especially tall so we lay the blame at be quiet!’s door.

You could indeed install a liquid cooler at the front of the case, provided you remove the optical bays and the installed front fan. That seems unlikely as you are throwing away two of the features that come as part of your budget package.

To summarise: cooler in the front – yes, theoretically. Cooler in the roof – perhaps, but not in our experience.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/leo-waldock/be-quiet-pure-base-600-chassis-review/

Back
Top Bottom