First watercooling venture in Fractal R6.

Soldato
OP
Really appreciate the in depth reply and the link to the build, its very similar to what I want to do.

What sort of temperatures are you getting from your setup?

While I would like the system to be almost silent, I would be looking to reduce temperatures too. But if I'm honest with myself the main reason for wanting to do this is as a project.

In my setup I want to put a PE 360 in the front and a slim Magicool G2 / HW Labs 360 GTS / XSPC TX360 in the top (whichever I can get hold of soonest).

I would consider a 280GTS or similar in the front. At least then I could re use the fans I have for something. I could even perhaps use a slim 280mm rad in the top of the case which would leave more room for fittings.

Do you have any pics of your build?

Associate
To make it almost silent you're going to have to be willing to run hotter or you'll be wanting a bigger case / external radbox.

But with what I have I can have it running quietly enough that it doesn't bother me, and I'm sensitive to fan noise (this is very subjective, but I can't stand air cooled graphics cards anymore!) I think the most important thing is to have your fan curves set up so they remain at a constant speed after a certain temperature threshold rather than constantly ramping up and down. The change in pitch due to fluctuating rpm is far more noticeable than the actual fan noise itself (same with the pump).

Temperatures wise, I keep my water loop temperature at no more than 35 degrees, I could run it cooler but I don't want the fan noise either. It tends to sit at 32-33 in games (something like Assassins Creed Odyssey or The Witcher 3). It hits 34-35 under benchmarking/stress testing workloads.

My 9900k stays between 75-80 degrees max core temp under stress testing conditions. In games it never really goes over 60-65. However it is delidded but 2 of the cores still run about 5 degrees hotter than all the others. I'd have to lap my waterblock to improve that I think, but that's too much effort, it runs cool enough for a 5.0ghz overlock without an AVX offset.

My Vega64 hotspot temperature rarely if ever goes over 60, I don't monitor the rest of the temperatures well enough to tell you without spending time monitoring it and adding it to my hwinfo overlay! The other temperatures were all absolutely fine from what I remember though, HBM, VRM and such all staying under 50. This doesn't really translate to your 2080ti, but it's my long winded way of saying you'll have plenty of rad space.

Two 360 rads should be plenty of rad space for a single card and that 8086k though. You'd have slightly less rad space than me, but 2 less cores dumping heat into the loop. The 2080ti is also less power hungry, though my vega 64 is undervolted. I think you'd be looking at similar temperatures honestly, if not better. Lower temperatures on your CPU though.

You won't have the motherboard VRMs dumping their temperature into the loop either so that's something else.

Some pics in this gallery :).

https://imgur.com/a/Y3eUoCP

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, i've just placed my orders, hopefully i have enough fittings.

I've decided to try the 280 GTS in the roof of the case to see how i get on.

Associate
A 280 in the top is going to be very tight. I'd put it in the front. At the top you have the motherboard, ram and even vrm heatsink to potentially foul on the rad. Good luck though!

Associate
Fair enough, the Nemesis 280 is 10mm wider though if you're getting the normal one. You're in the position to know how much space you have of course, I just mention it because I know I'd have problems with my 280 xflow (once the fans are added).

Soldato
OP
Fingers and toes crossed!

I've just done a test fit with a pair of stacked 140mm fans and it fits with barely a gnats danglies to spare.

Not very scientific but it will be close.

Ideally I would have liked a 360 GTS or Magicool G2 Slim but neither are available anywhere and wont be in stock any time soon.

I may potentially order a TX360 in addition just in case.

Soldato
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. I've got all my water cooling kit on order for my first go at it but going the soft tubing route for my first go. I have the same case and GPU as you but an i7-9700K CPU.

I'm using Bykski kit though as it was significantly cheaper and reviews seemed to suggest the quality was as good as EK. I'm going for a 360 and a 240 rad. I don't have the parts yet so can't do a test fit but was considering either the 360 in the front and the 240 on top (pump/res -> GP -> CPU -> 240 -> 360) or the 360 on top and the 240 in the front (pump/res -> GPU -> 360 -> CPU -> 240). I did have Corsair Vengeance Pro ram but swapped that out for some G.Skill ram as it's lower profile and will hopefully give me more options for radiator placement.

I've even gone for the same coolant as you (although I also have some clear as I'm not 100% set on the pastel white).

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. I've got all my water cooling kit on order for my first go at it but going the soft tubing route for my first go. I have the same case and GPU as you but an i7-9700K CPU.

I'm using Bykski kit though as it was significantly cheaper and reviews seemed to suggest the quality was as good as EK. I'm going for a 360 and a 240 rad. I don't have the parts yet so can't do a test fit but was considering either the 360 in the front and the 240 on top (pump/res -> GP -> CPU -> 240 -> 360) or the 360 on top and the 240 in the front (pump/res -> GPU -> 360 -> CPU -> 240). I did have Corsair Vengeance Pro ram but swapped that out for some G.Skill ram as it's lower profile and will hopefully give me more options for radiator placement.

I've even gone for the same coolant as you (although I also have some clear as I'm not 100% set on the pastel white).

Which GPU block did you go for? Also do you have a list of fittings you ordered?

I've not made up my mind about fluid yet either so I've ordered clear and a pastel concentrate to see how I get on.

I'm planning on going Rump/Res>GPU>CPU>TX360 Rad>PE360 Rad> Pump/Res.

I'm hoping I have everything I need as if I'm missing any fittings I'll have to wait for more to be posted.

Soldato
Which GPU block did you go for? Also do you have a list of fittings you ordered?

I've not made up my mind about fluid yet either so I've ordered clear and a pastel concentrate to see how I get on.

I'm hoping I have everything I need as if I'm missing any fittings I'll have to wait for more to be posted.
Yeah that’s the hard bit, trying to plan in advance for what fittings you’ll need without ever having done it before.

I ran through the EK configurator and followed what it suggested. I then decided I wanted a 240 rad along with the 360 so ordered another 4 fittings, more tubing, etc.

I ordered;
  • Bykski CPU Block (FR-CU-RA-2018-V2)
  • Bykski GPU Block (N-MS2080TI TRIO-X)
  • Bykski 360mm (28mm) radiator (B-RD360-TN)
  • Bykski 240mm (28mm) radiaotr (B-RD240-TN)
  • Bykski D5 Pump/Res combo (B-NWD5-F60)
  • 4m 16/10 tubing
  • 12 x Bykski 16/10 soft tubing fittings
  • Bykski Drain Plug (B-DV-CEV2)
  • Bykski Temp Sensor (B-PD5-TMR)
  • Barrow 5mm extender
  • Barrow 10mm extender
  • Bykski 3 way splitter
  • 4 x BitsPower Touchaqua adapter 90 degrees
The last 4 items were "just in case" purchases.

Associate

My Mayhems Pastel White has been good for 2 years and it's still absolutely fine. I was obnoxiously picky about the rad prep before though. Letting plenty of hot water run through them and then letting the rads sit with alcohol in for awhile before flushing it with hot water, again, and then with distilled water.

I might just go for a plain clear fluid next time though. I wonder how long it will take me to flush all the left over suspended bits from the pastel fluid when I come to do some loop maintenance.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that’s the hard bit, trying to plan in advance for what fittings you’ll need without ever having done it before.

I ran through the EK configurator and followed what it suggested. I then decided I wanted a 240 rad along with the 360 so ordered another 4 fittings, more tubing, etc.

I ordered;
  • Bykski CPU Block (FR-CU-RA-2018-V2)
  • Bykski GPU Block (N-MS2080TI TRIO-X)
  • Bykski 360mm (28mm) radiator (B-RD360-TN)
  • Bykski 240mm (28mm) radiaotr (B-RD240-TN)
  • Bykski D5 Pump/Res combo (B-NWD5-F60)
  • 4m 16/10 tubing
  • 12 x Bykski 16/10 soft tubing fittings
  • Bykski Drain Plug (B-DV-CEV2)
  • Bykski Temp Sensor (B-PD5-TMR)
  • Barrow 5mm extender
  • Barrow 10mm extender
  • Bykski 3 way splitter
  • 4 x BitsPower Touchaqua adapter 90 degrees
The last 4 items were "just in case" purchases.

Very similar to my order, I have a feeling I might need a few more adapters though.

I had also completely forgotten about a temp sensor, will it connect direct to the motherboard?

Soldato
Very similar to my order, I have a feeling I might need a few more adapters though.

I had also completely forgotten about a temp sensor, will it connect direct to the motherboard?
Depends on your motherboard having a temp sensor header or not. It probably will. I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro and it has a 2 pin temp sensor header on it so I imagine your board will too but best to check the manual.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that was my first option for layout. My second was the out from the GPU going to the roof mounted rad, the out from that going to the CPU and then the out from the CPU going to the front mounted rad.

Let us know when your parts arrive, fingers crossed it will go smoothly for us both.

I did consider the route you mentioned but thought the one I drew would be neater.

Everything is now on order, just waiting for it to arrive.

Fingers crossed I haven't missed any fittings I may need, I'll return any I dont need :).

Soldato
Let us know when your parts arrive, fingers crossed it will go smoothly for us both.

I did consider the route you mentioned but thought the one I drew would be neater.

Everything is now on order, just waiting for it to arrive.

Fingers crossed I haven't missed any fittings I may need, I'll return any I dont need :).

Will do mate. Ordered a lot of mine from China and they've been arriving in dribs and drabs. I had ordered 4 extra Bykski fittings from a UK supplier which arrived today but I unfortunately ordered Black Nickel rather than just black! No one in the UK appears to have them and to order from China will take ages so I'll just try and use these for parts of the loop that are harder to see as they are still dark coloured, just not pure black!

Soldato
OP
Most of mine has now arrived, just waiting on the pump/res and the EK Rad.

I flushed out the XSPC TX360 earlier, I was shocked at how many fragments came out of it!

14bCN2J.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of mine has now arrived, just waiting on the pump/res and the EK Rad.

I flushed out the XSPC TX360 earlier, I was shocked at how many fragments came out of it!
Nice! I’m still waiting on the CPU and GPU waterblocks, the red/pump and some fittings. They’re in the country according to AliExpress but not sure how accurate their tracking is.

Soldato
OP
Nice! I’m still waiting on the CPU and GPU waterblocks, the red/pump and some fittings. They’re in the country according to AliExpress but not sure how accurate their tracking is.

Last box was scheduled for delivery this morning and has now arrived, so I gutted the PC in preparation last night.

Going to attempt to get up and running today.

Back
Top Bottom