Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Ahh I started with Flyfishing - carbon rod, alloy reel, shoulder bag with second spool, fly box and couple of other nic-naks. No weight really..

Now the sea boat fishing is far more:
1x 40lb class rod, with heavy duty reel
1x 12-20lb class rod, with small reel
Tackle box - weights, built rigs, unbuilt rigs, lures etc...
Lunch.. etc..

Man of Honour
i used to have a couple of boat rods, a 30lb Abu Suveran and a 12-20lb Penn inxs,
i found that i used the Penn a lot more so i sold the Abu on ebay.. after ebay charges and £20+ postage charge i wish i hadnt of bothered, i think i ended up with less than £30
for a rod i payed over £100 for and only used a handfull of times :(

i got a nice toy to use from the beach though

SEVuhoU.jpg

ive also got a 12' 6" Penn vendetta beachcaster but thats been on its last legs for years, either needs a re-build or chucking in the bin :p

Last edited:
Soldato
i used to have a couple of boat rods, a 30lb Abu Suveran and a 12-20lb Penn inxs,
i found that i used the Penn a lot more so i sold the Abu on ebay.. after ebay charges and £20+ postage charge i wish i hadnt of bothered, i think i ended up with less than £30
for a rod i payed over £100 for and only used a handfull of times :(

Yup, I'm expecting the little uglystik to get more had time.. the big mofo is really for the larger wreck fishing we may do. Otherwise it's a bit of a static rig line.. such as putting a mackerel rig on and then letting the bobbing of the boat move the feathers!
Have to see.

Man of Honour
i think itl be another couple of months before they have stock of live ones, frozen ones are ok as they will have been blast frozen, but once thawed they need using as they turn to mush after re-freezing
cracking cod btw, any longer it'd be a Ling :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
just seen its £7 postage for orders under £60, might be worth just seeing what the tackle shop has in his freezer next time you go

Soldato
Although I'm not too fussed to what I catch.. I'd be happy with something other than a smooth hound or black bream.

Not flush with cash atm so the tackle will be simple stuff.. i.e. lures, mackerel or squid. However bait = fish.. so we'll have to see.

Thing is rays & cod = large amounts of bait..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
seems Pev bay is fishing really well atm, its getting on for a 200mi round trip for me though, ive decided if i get out this comming week im going to try Eastney (just to the east of southsea) for Plaice as thats only ~100mi round trip

Man of Honour
http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/brighton

Have you seen this and do you pay any attention to solar lunar activity etc?

yeah i use that site for long range tide forcasts, short range i just use the BBC site, i take no notice of their good/bad fishing forcasts though as it basically just tells you its better fishing on a spring tide than it is a neap tide, its a bit too generalised

good luck friday.. you fishing the evening? low water ~10:30pm :/

Man of Honour
Although I'm not too fussed to what I catch.. I'd be happy with something other than a smooth hound or black bream.

Not flush with cash atm so the tackle will be simple stuff.. i.e. lures, mackerel or squid. However bait = fish.. so we'll have to see.

Thing is rays & cod = large amounts of bait..

light tackle and some Rag worm should get you a few Plaice this time of year, and like you say, Ray & Cod on the bigger baits, probably whiting too
it'l be a few months yet untill the SH and bream are about

Last edited:
Man of Honour
having looked at the weather forcast for the week (mainly for wind strength) i think tomorrows going to be the best day for me, just phoned Solent Tackle and they have Rag and frozen black Lug, they also open at 06:30 so i can get down there nice and early to beat all the traffic, low tide 7am, high at 2pm
only trouble is though its going to be pretty cold, NE breeze with a high of 10c
i think il have a sort out of my tackle later on after work and make my mind up then...
im feeling a bit 50/50 about it atm

EDIT: still feeling 50/50 about it lol, have to make my mind up in the morning.. starting to feel like i should wait for some warmer weather though as i dont have a shelter of wind proof jacket

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom