Folding@Home News 19th - 26th November 2010

Soldato
Team OcUK Folding@Home News 19th - 26th November 2010

Current Team Position: 40th
Current Team Score: 410,555,863
Crunched This Week: 5,486,880 (24hr avg. 774,166 (up 23,806 )

Change from Last Week: +234,368

Next on the stomping horizon

SAGoons - 1.3 Years
DSL Reports Team Helix - 1.1 Years
whoopass - 2.4 Months
Team Icrontic.com - 2.3 Months
2CPU.com Folding@Home - 1.1 Months

Teams stomped this week

none

Ones to keep an eye on

Ukraine - 1.4 Years
Bjorn3D.Com - 2.7 Years
Pleasuredome Community - 5.7 Years
guru3d - 10.2 Years
MozillaZine - 11.4 Years

We are currently 30th in team production

This Week's Top Crunchers

26week.jpg

The Team 10 Leaderboard - Top 100

26leader.jpg

This Week's Top Stompers

26stomps.jpg

Top 20 Producers (PPD)

ppd26th.png

Milestone Tiffys!!!

If you've got a tiffy show it off!

tiffy26.jpg

This Week's New Members

ryan111
dadoucool
Dane

A warm welcome to the team :)

Info for new people

Help on setting up folding@home:
OcUk F@H Sticky
Stanford Windows SMP Guide
Stanford GPU guide
OcUK SMP guide
Bigadv guide
F@H Monitoring Programs:
HFM.NET
FahMon
FahSpy
Folding Stats:
EOC Folding Stats
Stanford Stats
Kakao Stats
Stats sigs:
EOC Stats sigs
Fancy image sigs :cool:
Other:
Folding@home server status

------------------------------

Good rise in production this week, pity Poland have upped their game and are out producing us now as we are only a few mil behind them.

The tiffy list is a bit long as I forgot to do it last week and had nothing to compare it with, anyway hopefully it will all be done automagically soon.
How is the script doing SB? Did the EOC fella sort out the team 10 xml?

No real news from me personally on the folding front, I've stopped doing SMP on my everyday use rig as it wasn't on enough to get the bonus, but that's only about a 4K drop so not too bad.

Soldato
Thanks for the news dekez.

No change with the script at the moment as I haven't heard from Jason. I will send him another email now actually since I have been reminded. The script works, it's just untidy and not fully featured yet - I didn't want to work on it until I found out about the new XML file either way.

On the folding side I have moved my two i7s over to bigadv and upped the OC on one to 4GHz. HFM says I am folding at 60K PPD! :D

Man of Honour
Top news matey! *Phew* that was a busy week. Good to see some of the old boys discovering the trials and tribulations of bigadv crunching, should help the average a bit and catch those damn Poleskis :D

Interesting rumination, with the PPD I currently produce, if I was a team I would be in 287th place in the teams list and 98th place for PPD :eek:

Go team Biffa! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn you biffa! :p

Oh, is it normal for a 6900 WU to start slowing down? Over the last 6 or 7 hours, the TPF has gone from 32minutes up to 39. This has shaved off around 7K PPD! :eek:

My desktop isn't doing anything intensive, and has only been used to browse/email today. :/

Associate
Thanks for the news dekez:)

Had hoped to show these off later when up and running but ive just noticed they are not all the same:confused:

They are the actual items and coming from far far away so i need to know they will play together, seems they are all D1 stepping but im just not sure:confused:HELP:confused:

Nov24-2010-EBAY-6176-oojit.jpg

Associate
Thanks for the news dekez.
I have had some "not on problems" & got a few cuda units come through for SETI but not a bad week considering I'm up 3 place in prod. I think I've had a lot of 353 & 587 pointers to help me.

On the folding side I have moved my two i7s over to bigadv and upped the OC on one to 4GHz. HFM says I am folding at 60K PPD! :D
Hence the huge cloud of dust in my rearview thundering up with severe stompage about to take place:(

@ BaBa there is one that seems to be 1.125v rather than 1.15v

Soldato
OP
Anyone know if you can run HFM.net as a service?

I have it running on my whs for the folding website creation, but I have to have a session logged in and open and have it running, I'd rather it just ran in the background then if the server was restarted it would just restart as a service with it.

Soldato
Thanks for the news Mr dekez sah, did not want to trash Mr Biffas thread anymore than i have allready with more questions....so can i just check with you all here that this is definately correct for doing big adv and gpu using tracker....muchas gracias :)
At least once i know i have this right thats allmost all the major crunching projects i have tried and can move between them knowing what to and what not to do. :)

Associate
You may want to think about assigning the GPU's to a core or 2 and have the CPU using 6/7 cores. The GPU's will have an effect on the CPU. I'm sure Biffa will tell you exactly later but i think wee beastie has 1 'real' and 1 HT core for GPU's and the rest for CPU.

As you have it set it will work but may not be optimised fully ;)

Soldato
What OC is your CPU at?

If you end up sacrificing cores to help your GPU clients, your bigadv PPD may not be much higher than normal SMP WUs. Biffa is the expert though since he has been doing this a while! :p

On my server with just one GPU I am getting 20K PPD on a bigadv WU. That could be much worse if I had 4 GPUs! :eek:

Soldato
Aye carumba! Just when i thought i had a grip on it will keep plodding and call upon Mr Biffa when he's free of the dremmel....i just know he's carved it up allready :)
Thanks for the advice guys it is appreciated cpu is at 3.2 470's at 700 sh and fans 65% warmish but not hot at 70 degrees :)

Soldato
Just tweak it!

Give say a core to all your GPU clients [physical and HT] and see how you get on. In the previous week's news thread Biffa mentioned a program to force the CPU affinity of his clients.

Though of course the longer you wait the further ahead I can try and get! :D

Dumped my first bigadv WU at around 3am this morning. Nice hefty 10K PPD boost. 72K points'll do that! :D Have TWO bigadv WUs due on Monday!

Soldato
Modern CPUs like the i7 have 4 physical cores. With Hyper Threading they have 8 logical cores. Basically for the 4 GPU clients, you need to give them an entire physical core and its HT core too.

Soldato
:) I understand the principle its the implementation, am just not sure of the tracker interface, blimey i have to go to post office and it's been snowing here constantly all morning....ice cold TBag...my gpu's could save me :D

Man of Honour
Had hoped to show these off later when up and running but ive just noticed they are not all the same:confused:

They are the actual items and coming from far far away so i need to know they will play together, seems they are all D1 stepping but im just not sure:confused:HELP:confused:

Nov24-2010-EBAY-6176-oojit.jpg

OS6176YETCEGO - AMD Opteron 6176 SE, Magny-Cours, 12 Core, S G34, Clock speed 2.3GHz, 12MB L3 Cache, 105W, OEM :eek: :D

AFAIK there has only been one release:

Dodeca-core - Magny-Cours MCM (6164-6176)

Released March 29, 2010

* CPU-Steppings: D1
* L3-Cache: 2x6 MB, shared
* Clockrate: 1.7-2.3 GHz
* Four HyperTransport 3.1 links at 3.2 GHz (6.40 GT/sec)
* HT-Assist
* support for DDR3 1333 MHz memory
* Socket G34

Back
Top Bottom