Folding@home News 20th - 27th August

Associate
currob, UPDATE your drivers ;)

Then no GPU folding for me on this machine. I've had problems after problems with nvidia drivers when gaming to the point of almost selling the vga card and buying a console. This version is the first one in soooooo long that actually works for me so no way I'm updating it ! :D

No worries, will just continue with my 780ti in other pc, would be nice to get the 980ti folding but not risking anything now I've got stable gaming again :)

Thanks for the advice though :)

Soldato
Recently just started folding again on a 4790k but I am doing this via the web page version.

I have a R9 390X GPU, is it worth folding on that or the CPU? I gather running the command line app will produce better returns than using the webpage version?

ye don't forget your passkey aswell

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

your gpu will do very well at folding , just download the latest folding client aswell

Then no GPU folding for me on this machine. I've had problems after problems with nvidia drivers when gaming to the point of almost selling the vga card and buying a console. This version is the first one in soooooo long that actually works for me so no way I'm updating it ! :D

No worries, will just continue with my 780ti in other pc, would be nice to get the 980ti folding but not risking anything now I've got stable gaming again :)

Thanks for the advice though :)

just looking around and them drivers should work, how many time did you try adding the gpu to the client? I had to try a few times with my 970 before it was detected

uninstall folding client and delete the folder to it in your program files, reinstall a freshcopy, open the text file and save all that text into it and save.
run your folding client and then add your gpu, it should add it

Last edited:
Associate
reinstalled x 3 and tried probably twice each time, just tried 10 times now and it's given up with the error message, just adds the gpu slot then it disappears when I click save - uploading video.....will link in a second or two

Last edited:
Soldato

is this the folder you copied all the text into

you probably cant be bothered BUT, if you are bored you could update drivers and see if that was the problem , then just re install the 353.49 driver again, just to see if this is the problem

the 980 definitely should work on your drivers though as theres one even older than yours that works

from the folding forum I see " OS win7 driver is 353.3 . "

Last edited:
Associate
Just testing this on the laptop to check out the full client, does the GPU settings appear in the default folding client or do you have to install further programs to get this working?

Just using the laptop as a test so I can get the main machine folding off the bat without messing about for GPU folding.

Soldato
Yep, and you can see the 980ti in there: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AEhDXgCXHlcXEOc&v=3&ithint=photo,png

Here is video of attempts to create a gpu folding slot: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...572&authkey=!AIIpsySZdlT3zrk&ithint=video,mp4

Hmmm, maybe I should get a camera with the anti-shake feature !!

what does the log say after you try and add it?

if you open the webcontrol is your power slider set to full? don't know if this will affect the gpu but worth a look

Just testing this on the laptop to check out the full client, does the GPU settings appear in the default folding client or do you have to install further programs to get this working?

Just using the laptop as a test so I can get the main machine folding off the bat without messing about for GPU folding.

Your gpu will fold aslong as your have it added to the client, I think the CPU has to be set to " full " but you can then still set how many core you wish for the cpu to use

Last edited:
Associate
Your gpu will fold aslong as your have it added to the client, I think the CPU has to be set to " full " but you can then still set how many core you wish for the cpu to use

Ah ok, got it, you have to add it to the slots :)

Will have a play about when I get home and see what the temps are like on the R9, won't be folding all the time, bits and bobs here and there when I can :)

Soldato
it'll do very well, my 290 temps are quite good aswell but then myn is the TRI X cooler.

right now its saying 290k ppd

currob - I don't know why but im still looking at why it wouldnt add you gpu lol.

Last edited:
Associate
currob - I don't know why but im still looking at why it wouldnt add you gpu lol.

Thanks mate, been busy last hour or two, dusted off a test bench and took my folding rig out of the air240 case, temps loads loads better on open test bench:

Zkw2lRc.jpg

Lqyz8BW.jpg

Should be able to fold at 100% now on that 780ti, was getting far too toasty in a case :)

Soldato
size of that motherboard & gpu ratio lol , monster gpu !

really cant find any set answers as to why your 980 wont work, most things was solved by a gpu text update. if your ever bored try what I suggested before and try newer drivers just to see if that gets to the bottom of the problem, then re-install the drivers you want

Associate
Thanks for the update :)

Getting back into things and folding for 4 days nightly yet gets to #7 dumpage, we need more people helping out.

Anyway, have 980 Ti's using different cores with first using x18 and the other is x17 meaning total PPD is down 50k. CPU is only a4 getting a pathetic 25k PPD running 10 threads. I know this is likely a thanks to those cheating with some lovely Xeon V2/V3's ;)

Soldato
Thanks for the update :)

Getting back into things and folding for 4 days nightly yet gets to #7 dumpage, we need more people helping out.

Anyway, have 980 Ti's using different cores with first using x18 and the other is x17 meaning total PPD is down 50k. CPU is only a4 getting a pathetic 25k PPD running 10 threads. I know this is likely a thanks to those cheating with some lovely Xeon V2/V3's ;)

yep I agree we need some past members to get the bug again.

I didn't think running cpu was worth it but I decided to try running on 2 cores and it didn't add any extra heat to the gpus so might aswell have the extra 6k ppd lol

just noticed also that jumper made the 100 million mark

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure how long I will be folding on the GPU, the 80% fan noise to keep the card around 84c is a little too loud on this rig xD

CPU fans are quiet enough though.

I use msi afterburner and/or precisionX and set the temp and/or power limit to a lower setting, the card will run cooler and quieter, won't get max PPD but worth it.

My 780ti has a max temp limit set at 70C and a custom 1:1 fan profile and a power limit of 80% - It is running at 64 to 66C and is very quiet but still gets around 220k PPD. Set it as a profile and easy switch back and forth to default settings when needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
which gpu brand is it? my 290 doesn't go above 65 - 70c most of the time, the fan goes to 60% ish at most. What case are you using ? you have enough airflow? remove your side panel and see how much your temps drop

Associate
which gpu brand is it? my 290 doesn't go above 65 - 70c most of the time, the fan goes to 60% ish at most. What case are you using ? you have enough airflow? remove your side panel and see how much your temps drop

I have a Corsair 650D with both 200MM fans going, 140mm rear.

Plenty air in the case as the room is cold at present.

Running the MSI Gaming R9 390X 8G

Used to have a H100i on the 4790k but moved to a Phantek TC14PE with dual fans due to the pump dying after a year :/

Strange thing is when gaming and all settings maxed the card will barely use the fans at all and will remain around 65c

Might look into MSI afterburner and set the limits so when it hits 70c it will throttle back etc. Will let this one finish and then run CPU only until I can find a happy medium for the GPU. I think this R9 390X is a hot card stock anyway as it will idle around 60c and thats with case temps in the mid teens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom