Folding@home News 20th - 27th August

I have a Corsair 650D with both 200MM fans going, 140mm rear.

Plenty air in the case as the room is cold at present.

Running the MSI Gaming R9 390X 8G

Used to have a H100i on the 4790k but moved to a Phantek TC14PE with dual fans due to the pump dying after a year :/

Strange thing is when gaming and all settings maxed the card will barely use the fans at all and will remain around 65c

Might look into MSI afterburner and set the limits so when it hits 70c it will throttle back etc. Will let this one finish and then run CPU only until I can find a happy medium for the GPU. I think this R9 390X is a hot card stock anyway as it will idle around 60c and thats with case temps in the mid teens.

60c idle? dam that's a hot card lol is that normal seems very high

I have a 300r,

2 x 140mm intake
1 rear 120mm exhaust
1 x 140mm top exhaust

just found this

MANY CARDS are equipped with a zero-state fan feature that completely turns the fan off as long as the temp is under 60c. This will cause idle temps to be very high, but it is completely safe. Also, even when the GPU does break 60c at idle (for example, another member mentioned their idle temp was 65c) the fans will only spin at a very low speed. This is done to maintain a silent experience at idle/general usage.

did you get your 980ti to fold? havinf same issue

hi muzz.

which drivers do you have?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28496724&postcount=13

check page 1 of this thread and you'll see whats needed & were to get the text from and were to put it

Last edited:

I have a 300r,

2 x 140mm intake
1 rear 120mm exhaust
1 x 140mm top exhaust

just found this

MANY CARDS are equipped with a zero-state fan feature that completely turns the fan off as long as the temp is under 60c. This will cause idle temps to be very high, but it is completely safe. Also, even when the GPU does break 60c at idle (for example, another member mentioned their idle temp was 65c) the fans will only spin at a very low speed. This is done to maintain a silent experience at idle/general usage.

hi muzz.

check page 1 of this thread and you'll see whats needed & were to get the text from and were to put it

It sits high as the card has the zero state fans so when under 60c they turn off so no noise hence the high idle, mine tend to kick in around 66c but you can't really hear them.

I could override the fan control and tell it to run with 20% fans which you can't hear and the temps will drop more.

Just the new house we are in doesn't have too much space so PC is in the back room next to the living room so noise has to be limited xD

what ppd are you getting from the card? I was going to pick one of those instead of the gtx 970 I got

Not too sure as this is the first one but this is what is showing in the web panel at present for the card (This is running 1100Mhz/1525mhz)

Folding390X.png

have you limited your GPU yet? I have a work unit 9704 like you there but im getting 290'000 PPD from it, I notice yours is showing 140'000 PPD. im getting twice the points and yours is a faster card,

Last edited:
have you limited your GPU yet? I have a work unit 9704 like you there but im getting 290'000 PPD from it, I notice yours is showing 140'000 PPD. im getting twice the points and yours is a faster card,

Not limited anything as yet, that is the card going full pelt so I assume something is a miss here!

Just checked the status and this is what I am getting, card is not limited as yet:

FAHGPUPPD.png

wow, 352k ppd from gpu. looking good ! :D

Thats at full pelt though and the fans going full tilt, don't think my sanity can take it though xD

Will have to see if I can limit the GPU for folding and run another profile for gaming so its not limited :)

I might run it here and there though as very rarely in and when home the PC is used for gaming and work most times.

Think this is the first day I have had to chill in months so was testing folding.

lol, no idea, in the end i uninstalled the client again, manually deleted every trace of it from explorer, rebooted, reinstalled, copied the gpu.txt file over, rebooted again and whoohoo ! Still on the old game stable drivers too.

I have a 300r,

2 x 140mm intake
1 rear 120mm exhaust
1 x 140mm top exhaust

just found this

hi muzz.

Hi mate, I managed to get it to work. I'm getting 480k ppd with 980ti and 5930k

after I found a 200gb harddrive on the flea market this morning for £2 I now have another basic set up with 3 pci slots , just need a wifi adaptor and some gpus :D

any type of adaptor that'll connect to the net lol, was going to stick it in my shed but its to far so might have to go in the boiler room upstairs

motherboard.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=z...uyZ-KvRxwIVwb8UCh0S6Qwe#imgrc=uBJreVOXBnWHiM:

found some warehouse near myn online that sells them for £3.29

Dynamode WL-700N-RXS 150Mbps, only needs to upload & download work units so even if its rubbish it should do for what I need

Last edited:
might have to go in the boiler room upstairs

a folding rig in a boiler room ?!! better buy a fire blanket to go with it :D

Just checked storage and found a tp-link pci 300mbps adapter that I got a long time ago and never used. It's boxed and here if you want it I will gladly post it to you, you'll just have to find a way to give me your address, is there a trust / private message system here? Can't find it.

Edit: Found it and was old email address from when I joined in 2011, can't change it as it sends a confirmation email to my old email that no longer exists :( Will post in CS section :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom