Folding@home News 24th September - 1st October

Soldato
I can only imagen your watercooling alone cost more than my whole pc.

hopefully stan_lite and Ba get back into it some time in the future aswell.

Last edited:
Associate
Great works there Colin :cool:

I have an incoming order to block my 980 Ti's for the very minor-issue with throttling (down to 1320MHz) but shall be using parallel link to keep flow high throughout my existing dual pump loop. My link is the triple but using blocker to bypass the second for my boards 16/8/16 config.

Gotta be careful I get the o-rings right otherwise from what I've read people have had leaks. Will try and figure it out when I get them :eek:

Associate
I thought about parallel linking the cards, but didn't have enough of my old fittings to do this after adding the second cpu block. I had someone saying to me once my setup was wrong the way it is but I'm happy with 48 degs on the cards.
I actually need to have some fan profile setup as my bottom rad fan spin very slowly sometimes only two out of the four. Something to do with the Phanteks hub I assume, would be better if I could manually set them for a constant speed as this would lower my over temps I reckon.

My 780s seem to be running better than my 970s atm, must be the WUs

Associate
...I had someone saying to me once my setup was wrong the way it is but I'm happy with 48 degs on the cards.

I also once had my top GPU using the 45° angle fitting from the CPU and nothing was said and all was well. Otherwise how else do you go from the CPU to the GPU (using about 10cms of 1/2 ID tubing) that close without kinking.

From years of doing loops I normally go left GPU inlet port for single cards and dual parallel otherwise top right for dual serial. I'm no expert and simply follow the instructions based on the setup ;)

For dual socket you could have went dual loop route, normally only a consideration if with multiple GPUs the temps are high. Your case already looks tight and not really possible, ie cases with removable drive cages to fit dual rads.

When you use parallel the coolant flows through all GPU blocks together, diagram below. If all goes to plan I plan to use the top left inlet then come back out the top right using optional G1/4 extender. Using the normal bottom right outlet not an option as bottom rad inlet is on the left (other side near rear of case).

2Cpu6Glm.png.jpg

Out of curiosity, what is your CPU/GPU temps? Will let you know mine in due course, probably late next week with delivery being 3 days.

Associate
Hmm I just had to update to Win10 as my other version of Win7 was already in use so it was down as a illegal version. Decided to upgrade, however now its only recognising one cpu not both, any ideas?

My temps were 58 degs on cpus / 48 on gpus while folding and BONIC

Soldato
Hmm I just had to update to Win10 as my other version of Win7 was already in use so it was down as a illegal version. Decided to upgrade, however now its only recognising one cpu not both, any ideas?

I know with Windows 7 only professional, enterprise and ultimate recognise dual processors. Starter, home basic and home premium don't.

Edit: I've just looked at your denis@home machines, you used professional for Win 7 and "core edition" for win 10, I bet that's what it is.

Last edited:
Associate
I went and bought Win 10 Home, so I've made a big mistake?

So I need to use Win7 PRO or upgrade to 10 PRO? I want to swear right now..Wonder if my original win7 pro machine to win8.1 which I have I can then use the licence again for win7 pro on my dual cpu rig.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well perhaps caught fire was a little exaggerated. It started fizzing and popping and then the PC cut out, and the room was filled with that horrible electrical burning smell. :p

It has been a bit iffy for a while, occasionally making the PC cut out when under load (maybe once a week) - I had previously thought my PSU might have been on the way out. Evidently not, it was the GPU!

Only the second one I've had this happen to. The other one was a long time ago, and I think it was a Radeon 9800XT. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
what gpu do you expect to get in return?

I expect they would probably have a few 780TI Matrix Plats kicking about, so probably one the same.

Failing that I expect they would offer me a 970, perhaps a Strix OC one, though it would be nice if they offered a 980...... :D

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
I expect they would probably have a few 780TI Matrix Plats kicking about, so probably one the same.

Failing that I expect they would offer me a 970, perhaps a Strix OC one, though it would be nice if they offered a 980...... :D
My 780Ti was replaced with a 980 back in May :D

Soldato

a 970 is more like a 780. i think they would give you a 980 if they dont have any 780ti's.

Soldato
PDW - you really should push a few places higher on the folding stats :p although im guessing you have your gpus set on some boinc projects.

CADmunkey, didn't take you long to work your way up!, your nearly on page 1 of the EOC stats page were every body else currently resides :D

well , colin has just told me his PPD and lets just say ... hes just made number 1 PPD producer for the team lol

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom