Folding@Home News 26th November - 3rd December 2010

Soldato
My apologies :o

A stupid question - at least try and look suprised, i am using the fah gpu tracker can i "back it up" format and then re-install the tracker and before firing it up just copy and replace the previous folders?
Much h'appreciated :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
er.. should do as long as the tracker is self contained in its folder and doesn't spread its config files all over the shop

But fah folders are selfcontained if you are using the cli so they are eminently backup-and-restorable

Associate
My mind has been a wandering, whilst sat at work.......

Been considering setting up a server - similar to what others have already done.

Whilst in consideration - I thought what about the SR-2 with 4 x 580's.......

How would I power such a thing whilst overclocking?

Two PSU's would be the only option........but what case would suffice?

Then I found it........

The upcoming Silverstone TJ11 - why did nobody tell me?

Soldato
You will have to mod it to get an SR-2 in it. It is likely going to be silly expensive [$600+! :eek:] and it's absolutely fugly!

If only an RV02 or the new RV03 could fit an SR-2! :p

Soldato
Yeah the RV02 is excellent.

Take a look on eBay loudbob, there are a few decent custom SR-2 cases for £300ish. Not sure they can take 2 PSUs though but they look a darn sight better than the TJ11. They should have just updated the TJ07 tbh, lovely looking case!

Last edited:
Soldato
My mind has been a wandering, whilst sat at work.......

Been considering setting up a server - similar to what others have already done.

Whilst in consideration - I thought what about the SR-2 with 4 x 580's.......

How would I power such a thing whilst overclocking?

Two PSU's would be the only option........but what case would suffice?

Then I found it........

The upcoming Silverstone TJ11 - why did nobody tell me?

It must have slipped my mind Mr Loudbob sah, was to buisy configuring alittle gem of a mountain mods case 2 computers in 1 case sr-2 out of the box bosh done and no modding to needed :)

Associate
It must have slipped my mind Mr Loudbob sah, was to buisy configuring alittle gem of a mountain mods case 2 computers in 1 case sr-2 out of the box bosh done and no modding to needed :)

Mountain Mods Case - never really took a shine to them. Suppose they are ok if your gonna put it in the loft or something.

Soldato
Mountain Mods Case - never really took a shine to them. Suppose they are ok if your gonna put it in the loft or something.

Yeah same, although admittely my folding systems are in the loft lol. Still I find them pretty ugly, as I've said before.... good for borg cube mods and not much else! ;)

Man of Honour
I wouldn't bother with the 580's personally. I don't think they will give you anything and will rob crunching power from the CPU's and eat electricity with not much gain.

Thats what I worked out when planning the SR-2.

Yes quad 580's in an SR-2 would be a technological marvel, but perhaps not as much as an SR-2 with 8 GTX480s :D

erebuswmagma.jpg

No its not mine, and yes thats 6 GTX480's watercooled on the motherboard and two in an extension case with PCIe risers from the mainboard. :eek:

Soldato
Just wow what i..a errrr very nice set up yes it looks like a scene from metropolis only with colour :)

A question i would like to ask Mr Biffa or if any one has a thought on it too, at present i am using 2 x i7 930 6gb r3 + 4 x gtx470 times 2 would i be anywhere near correct in thinking that what with the extra processing threads on the sr2 set up i would probably get near enough the same output by just using 1 sr2 rig with 4x470. I guess the question would be in relation to folding and crunching, i know theres lots of variables just a rough idea...cheers peeps :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure Toxic. You may even get better results as the 24 threads available to a bigadv might net you 110K and the GPU's 55K giving you 165K overall.

I imagine that your probably getting around 70K on each i930+4xGTX470 are you?

Things to consider.

It took me a fair while to balance weebeastie to get max performance out of all the kit on it. Thats a 6 core,12 thread CPU and 4 x GTX470s. And that nets 97-100K PPD on a good day. But every part is not performing as well as it would on its own.

I'd say that each GPU is down about 4% on its max potential, and the CPU is down 20% or 5% for each GPU that its handling.

I'm chasing a bit of a dream with the SR-2, to hit the magical 160K PPD on CPU alone.

Not sure I'll make it, plus it needs to be solid and stable because of what the machine does. Plus what it does may have an effect on its performance folding. I won't know till its up and running. But I'm going to give it a good try. :)

Soldato
Thanks for that Mr Biffa, yes was getting around the 70 mark i shall add this to my "digest - transfer to brain - quick pitstop at wallet before i take the plunge.
So many factors and variables no wonder i cant sleep at night.

There's no such thing as a bit of a dream, you will either drag your butt around thinking of 160k ppd until your 98 and incapable of pressing your own pensioners alarm call button or you'll do it in the next few months.
You get your 160k ppd and i will get my Bioshock-ing case :)

Must dash for a bit...hot date with the c drive and a windows disc :(

Soldato
Balls!

My PC fell over just after I walked out the door at 7am this morning! Only spotted it about 30 minutes ago. 11 hours of not-on!

Some goodies haven't arrived yet and had a rubbish day at work. Not been a good day! :p

Back
Top Bottom