Folding@Home News - Attention Single-Machine Crunchers

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Well how's it doing, Iso? Have you diagnosed it as normal or have you given up? ;)
think we scared him off with our desperate need for new victims... err i mean crunchers :o

well if SSE is on and the core is taking 99% then it's working - even in the rare event that the log stops recording the progress WUs have been known to carry on quite happily until complete

it's a shame they don't release a few of the old 0.6 point WUs these days as you could watch that thing fold right before your eyes with the power/optimisations available these days :cool:

with WUs that take up to an hour and more per frame on a pretty decent machine it's easy to see how someone could think that it's not doing anything - at least he should have landed a whopper first time out!! :D

Soldato
I run two rigs, but at least 90% of my points come from the one. I'm tempted to stick my second one on a separate account so I can sign this one up for the single-cruncher stats. If that's allowed? :)

Soldato
OP
Mattus said:
I run two rigs, but at least 90% of my points come from the one. I'm tempted to stick my second one on a separate account so I can sign this one up for the single-cruncher stats. If that's allowed? :)
err that wasn't really the idea - but yes I guess as long as it's a single machine that'd be alright

starting to wonder if this was such a good idea :p :D
ah well i guess it'll promote a bit more competition on a more level playing field - that can only be a good thing :)

Soldato
I could do. But Rich may be right in that it's not the idea - it's a bit against the spirit of the whole thing. Don't wanna start something which could screw up the stats.

Also a question that could come up - what is a single cruncher? Are we talking strictly a single logical CPU? Or is an X2 a single cruncher? If so, is a dual-core quad Opteron still a single cruncher? :p

Soldato
OP
at the moment that's still undecided - given the right work an uber-clocked X2 could give out about as many points as my whole mini-farm :eek:

basically it's up to each person to decide if it's really fair on everyone else, if someone games a fair bit or cannot sleep with their machine on then an X2 wouldn't really make everyone else's contributions look too bad

however the whole thing has given me a good idea for a short race - most points in a week from a single logical core, not sure if we'd have to set up seperate accounts or if we could just get people to list what WUs that core has done - from the reaction so far from those with powerful machines it could be worth thinking about as a little competition for everyone
we could even have different classes for different types of CPU :p

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Well how's it doing, Iso? Have you diagnosed it as normal or have you given up? ;)

High guys! Sorry I have just tried again and the console says completed 0 of 500000 steps. Its only been going 10 mins so I will leave it and see what happens. The CPU is currently working at 99 for the core.

EDIT: It's working!

Just one question: I cant keep my comp on overnight. If I quit the console in the middle of a WU will I be able to resume the next morning where I left off or will I have to start the WU again?

Soldato
You can get rid of the console window without restarting. Close it and go to services.msc to restart F@H. Or make a batch file, as per the guide in the forum sticky.

Soldato
I'm not gonna be involved but I'm actually looking forward to this. I love the sense of team spirit created by these competitions. It sums up what DC projects are about IMO.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm gonna have to exclude Concorde_Rules from the single machine stakes this week

Not only is he showing as having 3 active CPUs (presumably his X2 and a rogue mac) but his 24hr average is actually 1 point higher than mine with 5 machines running 24/7 :eek: :p

So Conc - congratulations on an insanely high output mainly from one machine but I'm afraid you'll have to be measured along with the power borgers and insane IT admin folk :D

It's not final yet - I'll see how out of place it looks first but I really don't think it's fair on everyone else, cheques are to be made payable to rich99million's personal bribing account of course ;)

Back
Top Bottom