***Food TV THREAD***

Man of Honour
Dont forget this starts tonight.
Its meant to be far more doable at home than his in search of perfection series

Upcoming episodes
COOKERY: How to Cook Like Heston
is showing on Channel 4 at 20:00, 25 January 2012
In this edition Heston challenges the way we cook chicken; the most popular meat in the world, but an old bird he believes is in need of a makeover. First up he attempts to revolutionise the way we roast a chicken by sharing his low and slow cooking technique. Then he gets to grips with the chicken's many delicious parts via an autopsy. At his village hall, Heston challenges the local hockey team to a blind stock tasting match before introducing his own super flavour-boosting stock - the secret of which is a sprinkling of milk powder to increase the levels of protein and sugar. Heston also reveals his guarded recipe for his dreamy chicken and ham pie, and demonstrates a shortcut for preparing a Michelin-star worthy chicken consomm?. For a final bit of theatre, Heston teaches viewers how they can use hot water, dry ice and essential lemon oils to flood our kitchens with chicken enhancing aromas.

COOKERY: The Fabulous Baker Brothers
is showing on Channel 4 at 20:30, 25 January 2012
Brothers Tom and Henry take viewers into the heat of the artisan kitchen and unlock the trade secrets of baking, taking viewers through their delicious recipes. This edition focuses on food that takes a long time to prepare. But don't let that put you off - the results are totally worth the wait. Tom and Henry make slow-cooked pulled pork served stuffed into homemade pitta bread, and Tom makes a sourdough loaf using the family's 56-year-old sourdough culture and tells viewers how to make their very own. There's also a traditional steamed pudding soaked in flaming booze and covered with a toffee sauce - a vintage classic. Henry's creeping into the lead in the weekly pie battle as the Pie Wars score board stands at 2 - 1. This week's judges are seven triathletes who are looking for a hearty pie to fuel them for their lengthy training. Tom and Henry make big, savoury pies for the endurance athletes to test run. But which brother will emerge victorious and which will flop?

Previous Episodes
COOKERY: How to Cook Like Heston
is showing on Channel 4 at 20:00, 18 January 2012
Culinary wizard Heston Blumenthal reveals how to perform magic in the kitchen by dispelling many culinary myths to revolutionise the way the nation cooks. This week, Heston challenges the way we cook chocolate. The secret to success with cooking this luxurious ingredient is gentle seduction - using indirect heat and keeping away from moisture. With these simple rules, Heston lifts the lid on his magical, popping candy, passion fruit gateaux with an exploding base, an amazing flowerpot tiramisu with edible chocolate soil, and he even manages to transform this sweet tooth favourite into a surprising savoury main dish..

COOKERY: The Fabulous Baker Brothers
is showing on Channel 4 at 20:30, 18 January 2012
This time the brothers are cooking up the food of love. There's a romantic breakfast in bed with eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise sauce and spinach muffins. The boys whip up a 'get out of trouble' chocolate cake, and some melt in the middle chocolate pots. They also make a slow cooked cassoulet with duck and sausages, the perfect dish for big family occasions when all loved ones are together. And with the Pie Wars standing at 1-1, there's everything to bake for, as Tom and Henry make sweet pies in an attempt to woo five glamorous hairdressers and secure their votes. But which brother will be crowned winner?

The Hungry Sailors
On: ITV1, ITV1 HD

Date: Monday 16 January 2012*

Duration 60 minutes

Brand new nautical culinary series in which father-and-son team Dick and James Strawbridge sail around Britain's coastline in search of good food and fine local ingredients to cook on-board their pilot cutter Amelie Rose. They begin their voyage in Cornwall then head for Plymouth in Devon, where they make pasties, mill flour, shear sheep and make a sausage-stuffer using a bicycle pump.

Rating: 3 Stars

Travel: Hugh's Three Hungry Boys Episode 1
On: Channel 4, Channel 4 HD

Date: Sunday 15 January 2012*

Duration 60 minutes

In this brand new series, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall challenges three best mates, Tim, Thom and Trevor, to the adventure of a lifetime. The boys have five weeks to travel from River Cottage in Axminster, Devon, to Lands' End in Cornwall, without any money at all. The boys must complete their five-week mission in a three-tonne, 1980s electric milk float with a top speed of 17mph. To survive they must hunt for food for themselves and renewable electricity for their milk float. Get it right, and they could eat like kings as they travel through some of the most beautiful and bountiful places in Britain.

Rating: 4 Stars

Editor's Choice, High Definition, Subtitles, Part 1 of 4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hughs-three-hungry-boys/4od

Cookery: How to Cook Like Heston Episode 2

Date: Wednesday 11 January 2012*

Duration 30 minutes

Culinary wizard Heston Blumenthal reveals how to perform magic in the kitchen by dispelling many culinary myths to revolutionise the way the nation cooks. This week Heston challenges the way we cook eggs - the most versatile ingredient in the kitchen. First up he reveals that the secret to a great boiled egg is simple - don't boil it! Instead, bring it to the boil, take it off the heat and let it stand for six minutes in hot water. After showcasing his special techniques for the perfect poached egg and challenging how his local Holyport Women's Institute scramble, Heston then runs through how to make his signature scotch egg - crunchy on the outside with a runny yolk in the middle. If you have a sweet tooth, there's a master class in how to achieve a perfect lemon custard tart every time without fail - by using a thermometer. And finally, with a bit of Heston magic, the Women's Institute are invited to sample his famous bacon and egg ice cream made with dry ice.

Part 2 of 6, High Definition, Subtitles, Audio Described

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/4od#3275737

Cookery: The Fabulous Baker Brothers Episode 2

Date: Wednesday 11 January 2012*

Duration 30 minutes

Viewers can beat the January gloom by immersing themselves in a delicious world of flour, fire and forearms with new series The Fabulous Baker Brothers. This week the brothers, Tom and Henry, are baking recipes that are fast and furious. There's soda bread and homemade butter, ready to eat within 30 minutes of even thinking of baking, then a race to make the speediest snack: pizza vs toastie - the ultimate bloke's battle. And want a curry in a hurry? Well, Henry's got a blinder, topped off with Tom's super quick chapattis. And in the weekly pie contest the brothers bake for five fearless fire fighters a pie they can eat on the go.

Part 2 of 6, High Definition, Subtitles

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-fabulous-baker-brothers/4od#3274924

How to Cook Like Heston(Cookery,2012) Episode1
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 on
Channel 4 from 8:00pm to 8:30pm

Heston Blumenthal takes off his chef whites and steps into a domestic kitchen, on a mission to show viewers how to inject a good dose of Heston-style magic into homemade food. The culinary wizard reveals how to perform magic in our own kitchens by confronting and dispelling old myths to revolutionise the way the nation cooks. After years of passionately seeking culinary perfection, Heston demonstrates not just how to cook, but why certain things do or don't work. Each episode concentrates on one everyday ingredient: eggs, chicken, beef, chocolate, cheese and spuds; and features recipes for big favourites such as roast chicken, the perfect steak, and how to pull off the ultimate chocolate cake.
(Editor's Choice, Subtitles, Part 1 of 6)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/4od#3275581

Cookery: The Fabulous Baker Brothers Episode 1

Tom demonstrates how to make the perfect white loaf, which also makes the perfect chip butty.

The brothers reveal the method behind their epic steak sandwich topped with wild mushrooms and crispy salad.

They also showcase their unique creation - chocolate 'sticky stick' donuts.

And for the weekly pie-making competition, the brothers go head-to-head in a battle to win over this week's judges - a group of hungry farmers. Henry chooses to make a meaty rabbit pie and Tom a hearty ploughman's lunch-inspired pasty. But which brother comes out on top?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-fabulous-baker-brothers/4od

Last edited:
Soldato
Some useful stuff, but I wish he'd spent some more time on things like salting steak! I guess that could be an entire program though. Good demo about resting meat, was trying to explain this to my impatient parents at the weekend

Man of Honour
OP
Some useful stuff, but I wish he'd spent some more time on things like salting steak! I guess that could be an entire program though. Good demo about resting meat, was trying to explain this to my impatient parents at the weekend

Yeah, it felt like it should have been an hour long. But then again hes trying to SK Pliny it for the masses. Not sure why though. Most normal people aren't going to stand and flip a steak every 15secs let alone some of the other stuff.

Soldato

i've noticed that these days, all cooking programs go from ingredients to then food on the table in about 20 seconds, skirting over details, quantities etc. I guess it is to incentivise buying the accompanying book, but makes watching the programmes fairly pointless imo.

Soldato
i've noticed that these days, all cooking programs go from ingredients to then food on the table in about 20 seconds, skirting over details, quantities etc. I guess it is to incentivise buying the accompanying book, but makes watching the programmes fairly pointless imo.

Yeah it happened throughout the program

"I'll pressure cook these tomatoes" (for how long??)

I doubt there will be a seperate book for this show though, those recipes tonight had been published before, the egg ones he's doing next are from heston @ home.

Soldato
It was really interesting. Some of his techniques and tips could be used in the normal kitchen for sure.

I agree that it did go too fast though. Could've been an hour long show with a few more techniques.

I'll be keeping my eye out for the future episodes.

Last edited:
Associate

All the full recipes are on the channel 4 website. It kind of goes without saying nowadays. No-one wants to hear someone talk down a long list of ingredients.

This baker brothers following Heston looks like its got potential as well.

The baker brothers show was proper weird. There were some definite odd homoerotic vibes going on. No brothers should be that close.

Back
Top Bottom