***Food TV THREAD***

Soldato
The new series of Great British Menu has been on for a while and I still can't get onboard with the new presenter. Susan Calman is apparently a comedian but I don't find her funny at all. She never fails to refer to a pre dessert as a 'pre pudding pudding' as if nobody has ever had that thought before. Ugh.

Soldato
and I still can't get onboard with the new presenter. Susan Calman is apparently a comedian
but I don't like the female presenter.

Indeed, like gbbo, british menu have put in, these oddball personalities , after 10minutes I turned over (keep thinking I'm listeneing to nanny Sturgeon too, few other scots on english tv)
Kitchen cabinet on radio 4 , is about the only thing, on, currently, I can stand, Jay Rayners good for that (only)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hdbk

Soldato
She's incredibly tedious. Last night we watched the episode that aired on Wednesday evening. As soon as one the chefs said they were making fondue I said to my other half that she'll make some 'joke' along the lines of "I'm fond of fondue" and lo and beyond, she did.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dipped into an hour of the new GBBO - obviously milking it now making a 1.5 hour show, that'll be the last one, for me, this season
tick : full diversity of candidates reminded of excellent episode from weekend They Shrink into Micro World | Family Guy
The comedy/innuendo added by Matt Lucas , Noel - just Benny Hill'esque - meanwhile Sue Perkins doing a good job of just a minute

Soldato
Dipped into an hour of the new GBBO - obviously milking it now making a 1.5 hour show, that'll be the last one, for me, this season
tick : full diversity of candidates reminded of excellent episode from weekend They Shrink into Micro World | Family Guy
The comedy/innuendo added by Matt Lucas , Noel - just Benny Hill'esque - meanwhile Sue Perkins doing a good job of just a minute
TBH all that was true last year, and maybe even before. It's lost any semblance of originality to me.

Long show at start of series to accommodate huge number of contestants and at end to drag out the details/drama.

New hosts effectively comic relief - no history of food or cooking in their personal or professional life it would seem.

And the contestants seem to be a very intentional cross section of all possible walks of British life. Young/old, city/cottagey, professional/homey, white/non-white... There's several "types" they always have one of:

The fresh faced student type. The granny. The eccentric middle aged gentleman. The young professional trying to do everything. The nerd. The hipster out of their depth who won't last a week. The flustered mess with potential who keeps running late.

It's very formulaic and I don't know if I'm up for another series of watching other people **** up under pressure. The judging is even a bit cardboard cutout now.

Back
Top Bottom