***Food TV THREAD***

Soldato
This is probably more suited to the console forum but does anyone know why it's available on 4od (on the web), but isn't appearing on XBL? :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Oh man, just saw the advert for HFW new program, looks awesome.

http://www.TVGuide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=113142698
Hugh's Three Hungry Boys
Season 1 Episode 1 of 4
New series. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall challenges three best friends, Tim, Thom and Trevor, to travel from Axminster, Devon to Land's End, Cornwall in five weeks. With no money and an electrically powered milk-float as their only mode of transport, they must complete the task by living off the land and sea, foraging for food and managing to secure renewable energy for their vehicle. Their journey begins in the hills of Dartmoor

Perhaps this should be turned into general food tv thread.

Soldato
I watched his meat one, haven't had a chance to catch the other one yet. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I think Heston's great but in this he's just appealing to the lowest common denominator a bit too much. It's overly simplified and just doesn't seem to be very 'Heston'.

I'm going to try the chilli at some point (mainly because my brother has agreed to buy me a kitchen blowtorch if I make him it) but I'm not expecting great things. I make phenomenal chilli so it'll be see if it is better than mine and my secret ingredients (marmite, coffee and sugar).

Soldato
I cooked a chilli last night with beef steak and some awesome smoked pancetta. I also pride myself on a friggin spanking chilli, so I question his :p I've got mine for tonight. It was packing a great punch last night, but a good one.

I follow 3HB on twitter, so should be good to see on TV if I can download it!

Associate
I'm generally not impressed by Heston's cookery; I think its a bit of a gimmick and novelty for the sake of itself. I have no doubt that he's a good chef (I also have a couple of his books) and has creative ideas but conversely he pushes his 'unreachable' cookery brand perpetrating a fallacious notion that one can only reach the apex of cookery by using sodium alginate, liquid nitrogen and centrifuges. I also think that his assertion that 'this is the best way to make a chilli, and heres the unverified science...' is also a bit of a gimmick.

One of the 'courses' on his dinner party program was a seagull defecating horseradish sauce onto people wearing old-school yellow raincoats. Another was levitating homemade Maltesers. Sorry to be negative, but I'd much rather someone like HFW or Nigel Slater (yes he is very dull) throw together something intrinsically magical,rustic,homely etc rather than relying on showy novelty. /rant over :)

Edit: After the rant I read the OP :)P) - I think his 'home cooking' branch-out is probably in response to similar criticism Ive just been dishing out and is to target a wider market where people want to cook real food, as opposed to silliness.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps this should be turned into general food tv thread.
I really wish it hadn't been.

It's much easier to keep discussion about a certain show within said show's dedicated topic than to have a myriad of programs being discussed within one larger all-encompassing topic.

If people want to discuss How To Cook like Heston then a single dedicated thread is useful. Mixing that with discussion about other shows is just confusing.

We've got our own food section now; let's make the most of it.

Soldato
I'm generally not impressed by Heston's cookery; I think its a bit of a gimmick and novelty for the sake of itself. I have no doubt that he's a good chef (I also have a couple of his books) and has creative ideas but conversely he pushes his 'unreachable' cookery brand perpetrating a fallacious notion that one can only reach the apex of cookery by using sodium alginate, liquid nitrogen and centrifuges. I also think that his assertion that 'this is the best way to make a chilli, and heres the unverified science...' is also a bit of a gimmick.

One of the 'courses' on his dinner party program was a seagull defecating horseradish sauce onto people wearing old-school yellow raincoats. Another was levitating homemade Maltesers. Sorry to be negative, but I'd much rather someone like HFW or Nigel Slater (yes he is very dull) throw together something intrinsically magical,rustic,homely etc rather than relying on showy novelty. /rant over :)

Edit: After the rant I read the OP :)P) - I think his 'home cooking' branch-out is probably in response to similar criticism Ive just been dishing out and is to target a wider market where people want to cook real food, as opposed to silliness.

I know I'm being a massive pedant here, but I don't think I've seen a single Heston recipe use sodium alginate or the spherification technique, unless it's been on one of his feasts :p

Actually I'm not being pedantic because it does form part of a bigger point I would like to make about Heston's cooking in general.

Away from the TV stuff, I don't think he's one to use technique where it's not needed at all. Looking at the food at the fat duck, when you get away from some of the odd-sounding names of dishes, the combinations of flavours and textures are not really that odd, and compared to other chefs at that level he doesn't tend to use crazy techniques or dozens of hydrocolloids to achieve the result.

Compare Noma to the Fat Duck - most people recognise Noma as a restaurant that serves modern scandinavian food emphasising the natural environment the food came in and keeping the number of components to the dish fairly low to not overload the palate. The Fat Duck is often thought of as some kind of crazy mad-science type place, but in terms of technique and complexity I don't think there's a lot in it - just have a look through each of the cook books, both feature a huge amount of work to create perfection on the plate.

Erm, anyway, back to the TV show - looking forward to tonight's episode!

Man of Honour
OP
That's it, I want to do scotch eggs for starter, his ox tail pudding for main and that lemon tart for pud. God do those three dishes look amazing.

Man of Honour
OP
NOOO it's all mine, mine I tell you mine.

Whypt the **** isn't this an hour long and go into more detail. Normal people are not going to make his recipes grrr. I know why he's doing it like that but no, just no.

Still see what these gay brothers come up with, I actually liked the look of the dishes and pretty sure I've got some onglet steak on the way.
Omg that intro is gayer than I remember.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom