Football 5th-6th Feb 2011 **SPOILERS**

Soldato
Well maybe playing **** and not getting away with it might finally shock us into changing...although I feel I might be a tad optimistic there.

I'm hoping that Scholes hangs up his boots at the end of the season (he's been an amazing servant for us but he can't be relied on for consistent good performances) and Carrick moves on, hopefully taking Gibson with him.

Hopefully it'd force us into the transfer market for a world class attacking midfielder.

And what the hell is the deal with Owen Hargreaves these days? Is he going to be a regular again or not? The time is up for him, he either needs to sort himself out or pack it all in.

Man of Honour
And what the hell is the deal with Owen Hargreaves these days? Is he going to be a regular again or not? The time is up for him, he either needs to sort himself out or pack it all in.

Out for ages with injury time and time again. Made his 'big comeback' earlier in the season only to get injured inside of 5 minutes. Glue factory.

Soldato
Different injury or same tendonitis problem? I think really he's broken mentally. Watching him on the pitch was painful, he's so scared to just get involved in the match like he used to.

I just wondered if there's any chance for him, otherwise we should be getting him off the books ideally.

Associate
Balance of play counts for nothing though.
Well aware of that mate, it's not like the game is decided by a tally from judges. ;)

Stretch, just stick him on ignore as everyone else has.
DM gets a lot of **** on these forums but most of it is from glass houses to be honest.

Well maybe playing **** and not getting away with it might finally shock us into changing...although I feel I might be a tad optimistic there.
Ferguson thought Wolves were "lucky ****s" to get the win so that doesn't exactly set the tone for the kind of soul-searching you're looking for. :(

I'm hoping that Scholes hangs up his boots at the end of the season (he's been an amazing servant for us but he can't be relied on for consistent good performances) and Carrick moves on, hopefully taking Gibson with him.

Hopefully it'd force us into the transfer market for a world class attacking midfielder.

Scholes pops up and now and again with game-winning performances, obviously he's being phased out at the moment but I don't see why we should push him out the door as it's hardly like he's keeping world-class midfielders on the bench. Must be handy to have him around on the training ground for the youngsters' sake too.

And I thought Owen Hargreaves' time was up... :confused:

Man of Honour
Different injury or same tendonitis problem? I think really he's broken mentally. Watching him on the pitch was painful, he's so scared to just get involved in the match like he used to.

I just wondered if there's any chance for him, otherwise we should be getting him off the books ideally.

It was a different injury I believe, but either way I think he's a lost cause now :(

Soldato
Scholes pops up and now and again with game-winning performances, obviously he's being phased out at the moment but I don't see why we should push him out the door as it's hardly like he's keeping world-class midfielders on the bench. Must be handy to have him around on the training ground for the youngsters' sake too.

Well that's just it - "now and again". He can play well but can't be relied on to. Plus he can easily take on a coaching role at United without using up first team wages.

I mean, if we did get in a world class midfielder who could put in top performances in the majority of games, would any of the current bunch even get a look-in? Maybe Anderson, and the DMs like Fletcher, but Scholes would be used only in the event of an injury or suspension I think.

It was a different injury I believe, but either way I think he's a lost cause now :(

Shame.

Associate
Are we relying on him to now?

He's not a regular starter and isn't our worst midfielder by far; the two candidates you mentioned are frontrunners for that honour.

I'd concentrate on doing something about those two before shoving old-timers out the door.

Soldato
Good result for Newcastle at the weekend. As I said in the transfer thread, at least we've kept our best player this window. ;)

I don't get all the moaning regarding Barton's tackle tbh. Barton has suffered worse against him this season which have gone unpunished.

If everyone wants a moan at refereeing decisions in the game maybe they should look at Best's goal which was wrongly ruled offside.

Soldato
Are we relying on him to now?

He's not a regular starter and isn't our worst midfielder by far; the two candidates you mentioned are frontrunners for that honour.

I'd concentrate on doing something about those two before shoving old-timers out the door.

Agreed but apart from Anderson (and even then he's prone to a poor performance) who can be relied on to play well in the attacking midfield role?

Giggs seems to be turning in good performances more often than Scholes, and is a player i'd be happier keeping in the first team.

But we really should be looking to spend on a good player in that position.

Caporegime
I'm afraid I am just going to have to disagree with you there. I checked 14 different football pundits articles and blogs this week, not one, not a single one of them said Liverpool could win. Only 3 even said they could draw. Every other pundit had it as a chelsea win, one by 3-0 and two even by 4-0. Even on here, amongst the armchair pundits the massive general consensus was that it was going to be a slaughter by Chelsea.

It was Torres return, on paper the chelsea squad is multiple times better than liverpools. It was away and liverpools away form has been dire. It was against undoubtedly the best frontline in the league on paper. It was a game which I suspect could have done huge psychological damage to the Liverpool players if lost. Almost nobody gave Liverpool a hope of getting a draw , let alone a win. Imho, in that situation, Dalglish was very sensible in the choice of tactics and playing for a draw made perfect sense.

Sorry but that is indeed all rubbish.

Have you actually seen Chelsea play in the past two months, they've managed a single "good" performance against Sunderland, Ipswich, and looked crap since what mid October inbetween. Chelsea were improved against Bolton but only because Bolton just let them walk through.

THe way Chelsea played today was EXACTLY the way they've played against everyone not in the bottom 3 for the past what 3 months, excluding Sunderland, and even then they shipped 2 goals despite having a normally semi solid defence.

Chelsea have been rubbish, Liverpool aren't "there" yet and shouldn't be expected to be. But much of the difference between winning and losing is attitude. Most of the reason Chelsea lost today, while scoring 4 goals against Sunderland was attitude. Essien a year ago would get the ball and drive forwards, today he was timid, he passed sideways, or backwards. The whole team would barely move, Lampard waiting for the ball with no runs into the box, Drogba not moving much, Essien just standing and waiting for a pass.

That lack of movement makes it hard to get the fullbacks involved, or space for passing, or take advantage of counter attacks.

But this is EXACTLY who Liverpool should have expected to find, because thats who Chelsea are.

Mikel is rubbish, Malouda is balls, Torres has never played a game with them, playing a new formation, while Bosingwa, Essien, Drogba, Malouda, etc are all playing the worst football of their career.

They were there for the taking, and just because a few pundits go around going, oh Chelsea won, they are back to their best....... literally means nothing, pundits are almost always wrong, thast what they do best.

This is all ignoring the fact you played a rubbish Chelsea, and just scrapped a win after not conceding a stonewall penalty.

Hell, Denilson and Diaby are all playing better than Essien at the moment, thats just how rubbish they are at the moment.

Anyway, the point is, Liverpool want to get back in the top four, they need to have top four attitude, and that attitude is there is no game you can't win, none, not least against the least in form top 4 team. Thats what separates the champions from the non champions. Come on, Chelsea haven't been this bad for almost a decade, when are you going to take the game to them if not now, next year when they are back on form?

You can start that attitude/belief against anyone.

As for no long ball, how many times did a long ball go up to Kuyt(of all people a midget, may aswell have started Soto up there) just for Kuyt to foul a CB/Cole. I was mostly poking fun at the Liverpool fans who the second Hodgson left ignored every single long ball in a game and claimed the game style had totally changed.

Don
The irony is that at times today we could have done with putting our foot through the ball. The only times Chelsea looked like opening us up was when we over played at the back.

Permabanned
_51124631_torres2_466x260getty.jpg

epic debut

Hes gone to a team with money, more chance of winning something than Liverpool this year or the next, shame he had to leave the north west but players come and go.

Associate
Anyway, the point is, Liverpool want to get back in the top four, they need to have top four attitude, and that attitude is there is no game you can't win, none, not least against the least in form top 4 team. .

Well thats quite ironic. Liverpool are 2nd by one point to Arsenal in the form guide over the past 6 games.:confused:

I say their atitude is extremely positive at the moment.

Man of Honour
Sorry but that is indeed all rubbish.

Snip Waffle.....

Sorry DM, but I tend to believe pundits assessments , most of whom were professional footballers, over the protracted warblings of an internet nobody.

Also sorry DM but I adhere to the belief that you do not, contrary to what you might believe, know everything. Like I say, I simply disagree with your opinion. I , at least, am more polite than to suggest that what you wrote was "rubbish". Might want to come down off your infallible high horse a touch there. I simply disagree with your opinion. Seems to be a common theme on the forum that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom