Football and the Coronavirus

Caporegime
Postponed for a few weeks at first and then a few months once they realise it's out of control. They might have to cancel it after that but I'd be surprised if we watch any sport until the summer.

Don
They'll suspend things tomorrow, we'll hear that the Euros have been suspended soon too and they'll just cram everything into the summer.

Soldato
You can see their argument though. A relegation rival playing an opponent who has some of their best players unavailable due to corona is hardly fair.

Sure i can, i also think they are on the bring of relegation and are using this as a get out of jail free card. We are weeks away from finishing a season, you cannot possibly make this season null and void. The lawsuits involved would be astronomical.

Postpone for 4-6 weeks and see where we are. If any season gets cancelled it should be 2020-2021.

Soldato
Sure i can, i also think they are on the bring of relegation and are using this as a get out of jail free card. We are weeks away from finishing a season, you cannot possibly make this season null and void. The lawsuits involved would be astronomical.

Postpone for 4-6 weeks and see where we are. If any season gets cancelled it should be 2020-2021.

That is never going to happen. You want clubs to wait months and then the following season is cancelled so that this one can be finished? Clubs will go under if that happens. They will suspend this season but there will have to be a cut off date. So if we aren't playing again by the end of say June then it will get cancelled and be null and void. Bad for some clubs yes but the only fair thing to do under the circumstances.

Caporegime
So hang on, they were going ahead as normal then one manager is announced as having it and now they're having an emergency meeting? Are they trying to make themselves look as stupid as possible?

Don
They won't cancel next season but equally they're not going to cancel this one either. They will find a way to fit in the remaining games, whenever that be. Assuming TV revenue isn't paid for missed games, on top of lost gate money, PL clubs would stand to lose around 1/4 of their revenue and lower League clubs even more but all their costs would remain. This alone would be enough to send a lot of clubs under.

Caporegime
So hang on, they were going ahead as normal then one manager is announced as having it and now they're having an emergency meeting? Are they trying to make themselves look as stupid as possible?
The fact is they now know for sure they have a team who can’t play for at least the next two weeks, and if one other person on another team tests positive, that’s another team gone, it will just snowball.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm honestly not sure what you can do.

Voiding the season has huge implications, but so does indefinitely postponing it, or continuing on with the current pandemic situation. One way or another, some people aren't going to be happy.

We are weeks away from the peak - which could be months if everyone is successful in the 'delay' phase.

Caporegime
I think suspending it + playing remainder of games when next available is the only way you can reasonably please everyone i.e. playing a full season, I can't see how that should be contested unless this goes on well into Autumn in which case its a tougher decision.

It has certainly spoiled the ending of an immensely enjoyable season though regardless if it gets played / awarded / voided.

Soldato
I think Baz is right, the common sense approach is to postpone for a month or two and then take stock of the situation at that point. It might be that by then the worst of it is over, much like things seem to be on the wane in China, or we might be experiencing the worst of it by then, who knows. Either way, I think the Euros will be postponed until 2021, which will give the club competitions a chance to finish if things have improved. They'll still have to cram things in like crazy, playing at least two games per week, and I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the FA Cup this season to give the PL and CL a chance to conclude.

I've no idea what they'll do if they don't manage to finish the games by about July/August. The players will still need some sort of break in the summer before next season starts, and whatever approach they take there are going to be teams and fans that are annoyed. If they void this season then Liverpool and their fans will be livid, as will all the teams chasing promotion in each league, but if they just call things based on current league positions then that disadvantages teams who had a nice run-in and gives an unfair advantage to those teams who had a horrible run of fixtures to end the season. Playoffs for relegation and European places have the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom