Football Banter Thread

20220227-183110.jpg

How are we deciding this, trophies?

Different eras of football. Wenger never had to deal with a state owned club spending billions. I mean Liverpool didnt win a league title with 97 (Ninety seven) points (won a champions league though) whereas Arsene won one with 78, Liverpool are 9 points off that with 9 to go and are SECOND which is insane in itself. We could finish on 93 points and still not win the league this season for context thats 3 more points then the "invincibles". Fergie for eg regularly won the league with points in the 70s and 80s...he also never got to 97 points. That and Wenger is like 20 odd years older lmao.

Footballs changed massively since the Oilgarchs etc came in. You cant lose 5 games anymore and win a title. I think its a silly argument to be honest and its one that doesnt really need to happen.

Different eras of football. Wenger never had to deal with a state owned club spending billions. I mean Liverpool didnt win a league title with 97 (Ninety seven) points whereas Arsene won one with 78, Liverpool are 9 points off that with 9 to go and are SECOND which is insane in itself. We could finish on 93 points and still not win the league this season for context thats 3 more points then the "invincibles". Fergie for eg regularly won the league with points in the 70s and 80s...he also never got to 97 points.

Footballs changed massively since the Oilgarchs etc came in. You cant lose 5 games anymore and win a title. I think its a silly argument to be honest and its one that doesnt really need to happen.
Quite right, different eras no comparison. I think we can just settle on saying they are both 2 of the premier leagues greatest ever managers, along with Fergie. Pep maybe, but I’m not having Jose in that discussion.

Quite right, different eras no comparison. I think we can just settle on saying they are both 2 of the premier leagues greatest ever managers, along with Fergie. Pep maybe, but I’m not having Jose in that discussion.

Its what annoys me when people say Klopp has only won one trophy. Well correct he has...that in itself against City is a hell of an achievement. How anyone can keep up with them is an achievement in itself and to be honest, whilst no one ever wants Liverpool to win the league they are lucky its even competitive given their respective spend.
'
It wont matter next season though when City sign Haaland, a few dodgy commercial deals earning them 100mil more then United (im sure we agreed the biggest club in the PL) will sort his wages out on the books.

Its what annoys me when people say Klopp has only won one trophy. Well correct he has...that in itself against City is a hell of an achievement. How anyone can keep up with them is an achievement in itself and to be honest, whilst no one ever wants Liverpool to win the league they are lucky its even competitive given their respective spend.
'
It wont matter next season though when City sign Haaland, a few dodgy commercial deals earning them 100mil more then United (im sure we agreed the biggest club in the PL) will sort his wages out on the books.
Maybe one premier league, but Wenger, Jose and Pep never won a European cup with their clubs. Although we was 10 minutes away and it still hurts to this day :(

Different eras of football. Wenger never had to deal with a state owned club spending billions. I mean Liverpool didnt win a league title with 97 (Ninety seven) points (won a champions league though) whereas Arsene won one with 78, Liverpool are 9 points off that with 9 to go and are SECOND which is insane in itself. We could finish on 93 points and still not win the league this season for context thats 3 more points then the "invincibles". Fergie for eg regularly won the league with points in the 70s and 80s...he also never got to 97 points. That and Wenger is like 20 odd years older lmao.

You can put VAR into that context as well. Barcelona would have not won in 09 had VAR been about. They would have been beaten by Chelsea and we would have had another Chelsea/United final. Likewise Everton could have been multiple European champions had Liverpool not got everyone banned from Europe. Maybe even Arsenal as they won a couple of leagues in that period.

I think there is also a larger gap between the bottom teams and the top then there used to be. Middlesbrough were relegated in 96/97 but reached both domestic cup finals and had champions league winners in their squad.

Last edited:

That could also mean that the top teams are soo far ahead, there is no competition like in la liga and bundesleiga is….

That could also mean that the top teams are soo far ahead, there is no competition like in la liga and bundesleiga is….
Of course there’s competition. Any other league or back in the day Liverpool have already won the league. The fact they didn’t with 97 points suggests there’s competition and a good one at that.

Of course there’s competition. Any other league or back in the day Liverpool have already won the league. The fact they didn’t with 97 points suggests there’s competition and a good one at that.
How?

Look at city and Liverpool and then compare the rest.

City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone just like when real Madrid and Barcelona were in the past.

How?

City and Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone just like when real Madrid and Barcelona were in the past.
The gap is certainly getting wider, the teams at the top most notably city seem to be able to field two sides that wood win the league Man City B would definitely be pushing for the champions league!

How?

R Madrid are 10 points ahead in La Liga. Munich? 6.

How many teams have won the title in the Bundesliga in the last 10 years?

Munich.

Thats it. Thats not competition.

Back
Top Bottom