Football Banter Thread

I didn’t say I was fine with it but you’re going to need to tell us what you’re including in your definition of abuse. Nobody posting here has said that directly messaging celebrities hate is okay.
Multiple people have said they're fine with it, because he scored an own goal for example. The person who posted it originally seems to think being abused is absolutely fine.

Might want to quote all these posters that are saying celebrities receiving direct messages of hate is okay then.

I'm sure you can read the thread mate. The first response was literally saying he should score less own goals if he wants to not be abused. You don't think that is condoning it? Hell your response was to suggest I must be his mum because who else would suggest abuse might be wrong?

You'd think with the number of footballers that have come out with struggling with mental health over the last few years people might be a bit more aware of this kind of thing. it'll probably take someone to actually kill themselves before people take it seriously.

Last edited:
I'm sure you can read the thread mate. The first response was literally saying he should score less own goals if he wants to not be abused. You don't think that is condoning it? Hell your response was to suggest I must be his mum because who else would suggest abuse might be wrong?

I’ve read the thread and nobody is saying the specific example you gave after Rob’s reply to you is okay.

Again, you’re going to need to be more specific of what this abuse consists of as pretending it means everyone is okay with him receiving direct hate messages is a massive reach.

I’ve read the thread and nobody is saying the specific example you gave after Rob’s reply to you is okay.

Again, you’re going to need to be more specific of what this abuse consists of as pretending it means everyone is okay with him receiving direct hate messages is a massive reach.
I asked if he saw it as a problem that he was one of if not the most abused players on the planet and he said no. How more obvious could it get :confused:

I think the pile on has been excessive personally and I couldn’t help feel sorry for him when that goal went it. What doesn’t help his cause was the digging his heels in over money when there was a move on the cards. The boy needs a fresh start,but hes made his bed now.

Not really, multiple people immediately joked about it. You were one of them. I must have missed your serious response.

The joke wasn’t about abuse and you’ve still failed to tell us what constitutes abuse outside of a specific example you threw in later on.

If anyone here genuinely believes it’s okay to message him with death threats on insta etc then I’m sure they’ll let you know. For everyone else, I think they’re on about him being a meme and having a few laughs at his expense.

Last edited:
Maguire is being "abused" because he's a high paid, high status, footballer playing for one of the most hated teams in England, that's had a long streak of poor form. People can see that and have issue with him being selected by Southgate. He's the easier target for all.

Ten Hag can see it. Why can't Southgate?

Maguire is being "abused" because he's a high paid, high status, footballer playing for one of the most hated teams in England, that's had a long streak of poor form. People can see that and have issue with him being selected by Southgate. He's the easier target for all.

Ten Hag can see it. Why can't Southgate?
He's being 'abused' by the fans of the team he plays for primarly. Maybe the man utd fans should take a look at themselves before casting any stones.

Has anyone watched him play for United? He's a liability. There's only so many times you can put things down to bad luck. Poor under pressure, clumsy, slow... would Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea be happy with him? No they wouldn't, so why should Man Utd fans shut up and put up with a **** poor CB?

I was indifferent following his signing, he'd been immense for England and did pretty well under Jose, but under no circumstances should he be starting for England or Man United when other options are available currently. West Ham was the perfect chance for him to regain form away from the pressure, now he's just predictably become a circus.

Edit: ha, he didn't even play under mourinho. :O
That was the last time I remember our defense looking half decent. Wasn't even part of that.

Last edited:
Has anyone watched him play for United? He's a liability. There's only so many times you can put things down to bad luck. Poor under pressure, clumsy, slow... would Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea be happy with him? No they wouldn't, so why should Man Utd fans shut up and put up with a **** poor CB?

I was indifferent following his signing, he'd been immense for England and did pretty well under Jose, but under no circumstances should he be starting for England or Man United when other options are available currently. West Ham was the perfect chance for him to regain form away from the pressure, now he's just predictably become a circus.
He's never played for Jose, I think you mean Ole.

Back
Top Bottom