Football Manager 2018

Soldato
What are the main issues? I bought this a few weeks ago to keep up with tradition for having every FM in my steam lib, I have played it a lot, I don't really see much different to that last, like every year but it was cheap.

I only really enjoyed FM 09 and that was because I was playing online with a friend but I'm very anti FM now as they've ruined the series in my opinion so I stick to CM 01/02 until they win me back.

Soldato
This one is a little frustrating, there feels like there's less cause and effect to your actions as a manager in each match which is a little disappointing.

Still also can't work out the corner kick system, my blackburn team always send the corner to the free man on the edge of the box to send it wide or over, even if chucking it into the penalty area would actually be a good idea.

Man of Honour
I haven't played in a while unfortunately due to a lack of immersion. I just can't get into it, plus the games (to me) can feel such random affairs it all feels a bit inconsistent. I've also stumbled across the corner system not working as it should. To me, it happens when I use a particular downloadable tactic. If you create your own tactic, and then create your own set of corner instructions it works a treat. But using a downloadable tactic seems to overwrite this. It may be that the tactic controls aspects of the corner system too, but I've also tried ammeding and even deleting the corner instructions completely to no avail.

Soldato
Some games where I drop points i'm incensed that my team would throw away goals in the 95th minute through stupid mistakes.

This one, is a simple, straight faced, 'nope, not having it' and exiting the game.
9e38f5f6fe7859a9d8f6c30ef813dcc6.png

at 4-0 up conceding one is annoying because i love a clean sheet. Conceding another in the next minute and I know exactly what's about to happen. I think we all do.

Soldato
If you change your setup that can be avoided when the tide goes against you, every now and then thr computer goes into overload so I either go more attacking if I'm by far the stronger team or if I'm inferior go control, back 5, fullbacks on defend duty, dlp/leave a couple up front for countering them then a few other tweaks depending on the other teams setup.

My initial reaction used to be THIS IS BS!!! But these results do happen sometimes

Soldato
I know it's not too busy in here, but I like writing out anyway.
At the end of the previous season with Salford we got to the play-offs again but unfortunately lost over 2 legs. I'd had lots of job offers, none of which i was remotely interested in as I wanted to take Salford all the way up through the leagues. Anywho, I'd allowed my Chief Scout to set up scouting assignments, and went into my scouting centre to start looking at signings for next season to try and squeeze is into the automatic spots into league 1. After seeing that my entire scouting team (6 scouts) had scouted 6 players over the previous year (and even those had 42% knowledge or less) I was pretty annoyed, as the team that I had shouldn't have been anywhere near the top of league 2.

A few days later and I get another interview invitation, this time from Portsmouth who had just been relegated down to League 1. Now, in the past Portsmouth has had a bit of a 'take a fallen hero back to the top' feel about it, but seeing as I moved from Manchester to Fareham(just outside Southampton) in September last year this appealed to me. My new postcode is PO, for example :p

So, anyway, i attended the interview and took over and inherited a strong squad. Generally sat between 1-3 throughout the season and was 3 points clear with 3 games left. Naturally, we choked and drew 1 and lost 1, dropping us to 2nd. Final day needing to win and Scunthorpe holding Sheffield United to a draw or beating them. This happened and as a result we now go up into the Championship as champions :)

Also, Sunderland won the championship with 101 points; one of their players was worth £49m and was earning 115k p/w :O

Associate
Have they changed the moaning players bit? I was getting fed up on FM16 when my reserve players were moaning about not being included in the PL/CL squads when they didn't needed to be registered as being U20-players or just plain *****.
Or when players about moaning about not getting a chance in the first team even though they started 8 of the last 10 games etc.

And anyone else noticed about coaches disappearing from the club even though you did sign several new ones? I had once 31 coaches out of the allowed 40, signed 5-6 new ones. No one left for another club but when I started the game again the day after I was back down to 32 coaches. Just some very random stuff I noticed.

Man of Honour
I can't say I've noticed any changes in that respect. Providing you keep your players in their correct category - like hot prospect, backup etc, they are usually fairly happy. But that of course depends on their hidden stats too.

I can't say I've ever seen a club with 40 coaches! Is that realistic in the big clubs?

Associate
On my FM16 I'm at the season 34/35 with Man Utd and been focusing on bringing in youngsters to train them up and therefor opted to spend a bit more on coaches when being given the option. I can have 42 coaches in the senior squad, 11 in the U21 and 8 in the U18 lol.

Soldato
But of an update, just finished our second season in the championship with Portsmouth. 1st season the goal was to avoid relegation, we finished 10 points ahead and a comfortable 18th. Now, over the 2 summer transfers windows I made 4 signings, 2 or them were free transfers and the other 2 cost me a combined 200k or something ridiculous.

Anywho, of the 4 signings, 2 are worth close to £10m and the other I think £2m or £3m and in our second season we finished in the top 10(i’m Away from the pc at the minute but I think 9th) we were actually fighting for the playoffs all season.

Not really found any free transfer gems yet but still early in the transfer window. Hoping to reach the playoffs next season and I think with 1/2, maybe 3 new players I can see us avoiding relegation from PL, hopefully.

Soldato
Well, a week on from my last post and i have one game left in the season, but have already secured the title :) It's a good job too; last match day of the season is against 2nd which could've been nerve-wracking. Board expectation was mid-table and season preview expected finished was 13th :)

What I'm also very happy about is the fact that we've gone up as champions while our salary per annum has been 23rd all season; spending around £6m per annum. Some teams are spending £55m, £48m and £45m, finishing 6th, 16th and 3rd respectively. Also, our attendance percentage is 99% on average, having had 18/23 sell outs :) Plans in place to expand the stadium at the end of the season.

Made 1 loan signing in January but other than that, stuck with the squad. My 2 strikers (1 free, 1 for £92k) are both worth £10m as i say in previous post, between them they've had 72 starts, and have scored 55 goals with 32 assists, average ratings of 7.52 and 7.36.

2 players have already( we won the league 3 days ago n-game) asked for stupid contracts. Moving from £6k p/w to £20k p/w, and the other moving from £12k p/w to £30k p/w. I've rejected them both for now but I'll see how the budget's get set.

I also have a right back who is a bit of a gem for this level, IMO, see screenshot.
a74d91b093e6d919b2182823d8533d05.png

We had 5 games left of the season and were leading the league. BAH made an offer (Brazilian Bahia State Championship..?) and he was mad because he 'wanted to test himself in a better league', 5 games before we likely move to the premier league.. Anywho, it didn't give me the option to tell him 'we move to the best league in the game soon. you're staying, idiot.' so they made another offer for just over £1m and I accepted. Picked him up on for £64k :) Good attributes, but average rating of 6.67 so a shame, but more fool him.

I'll edit this post once I've advanced enough into the off-season. We were being given around £5.25m per year for competing in the Championship and we'd end each season just about in the red; I'm looking forward to this TV money and even though I expect us to drop straight back down, if we finished 20th let's say, we'd still be given close to £60m in parachute payments over the next 2 years, and that's before we consider said tv money.

I'm so excited! Now it's a case of sticking to our cheap/free transfer philosophy and trying to keep our players on small contracts; I generally remove and exclude the 'top division promotion' clause in contracts, or allow 10% at the most. Oh, and get this stadium expanded :) This is the first time I've taken a team through the Championship successfully; can you tell :p

Update: We're earning just over £93m TV money in our first season. I was given £40m transfer budget but didn't want to go nuts so I've spent a total of £9m bringing in 5 players, and an additional 4 on loan. Lots of players have been given bigger contracts, the largest in the Championship was 15k and now in the PL it's 24k so I'm happy at how low we've kept it. A couple of players I went for were asking for upwards of 40k so as much as I'd have loved to bring them in I had to decline. Our salary per annum is now £14.18m per year. Next is Fulham, who spend £49m. :eek:

We've just played our first match of the season, away at Anfield. We actually took the lead only to concede 2 before pulling ourselves back level at 2-2 for Full time :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got Boreham Wood into League 1, and was comfortably on top, when Brexit happened. It was a hard Brexit and every European player needed a permit. I basically shelved the save at that point. I might go back to it at some point, if I feel like chewing my face off.

I've now started a fresh save with Charlton. i am in 3rd spot towards the end of the season but I am struggling with injuries. I've got a key player with Cruciate injuries, out for 10 months; a key player with a broken leg, out for 5 months, and numerous others. I've also got about 8 loans playing in my first team, as I am struggling so much with injuries.

Soldato
We're earning just over £93m TV money in our first season. I was given £40m transfer budget but didn't want to go nuts so I've spent a total of £9m bringing in 5 players, and an additional 4 on loan. Lots of players have been given bigger contracts, the largest in the Championship was 15k and now in the PL it's 24k so I'm happy at how low we've kept it. A couple of players I went for were asking for upwards of 40k so as much as I'd have loved to bring them in I had to decline. Our salary per annum is now £14.18m per year. Next is Fulham, who spend £49m. :eek:

We've just played our first match of the season, away at Anfield. We actually took the lead only to concede 2 before pulling ourselves back level at 2-2 for Full time :)

I've had a 'soft' Brexit, where it hasn't really had an effect to be honest :)

Edit: And we've just played our second match against Newcastle(11th last season) and came away with a 2-1 win :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You're doing well. Soft Brexit makes things easier; is that where UK and European players remain the same as they are, but worldwide players need permits? I like it where you can have anybody in your squad providing you don't go over the 17 foreign player limit.

I got into the playoffs in my first season, to get beaten in the final by Shrewsbury. I finished 5th.

Soldato
You're doing well. Soft Brexit makes things easier; is that where UK and European players remain the same as they are, but worldwide players need permits? I like it where you can have anybody in your squad providing you don't go over the 17 foreign player limit.

I got into the playoffs in my first season, to get beaten in the final by Shrewsbury. I finished 5th.

Yeah something along those lines, 17 foreign players shouldn't ever be a problem :)

Soldato
Well, it could be going better. You join me on March 12. We've just recorded a win against Sunderland who're 6th. 2 goals in the last 2 minutes of the game, the second of which was an own goal. The relevance? Our last win was 2nd October, 23 games ago. :( Needless to say we're down in 19th, currently 7 points from safety with 8 games remaining. Our desparation meant I did kinda break the bank in January to sign the gentleman below. He cost £22m which to be fair, I think is a bargain, and as you can see is on £54k a week which is double anybody else. When i signed him i was expecting him give us a big boost in staying up but hasn't turned up yet. Yes, scored 6 in 10, but 4 were in one game (a 5-5 draw)

Correction, that's 10 points from safety, still 8 games remaining. We do play, 17th 18th and 15th, along with 1st 2nd and 3rd. Fully expect us to go down but job is still very secure. I suppose the price you pay for over-achieving the year before :p

EDIT: and my only goalkeeper in the squad is now injured for 5 weeks.
7390896fb20a7bc685bb79b7da892221.png

Further edit:

Anyone seen this before? Not only 7 goals, but all in the first half!
59c5e8203299c1afe6e865ba697bfca3.png

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've hated on this game for nearly a decade but after trawling through all the mods I think I've found one that will get me into this game 'All Player free Agents Mod'

Now what I ask of you guys what would your first signings be as Chelsea or a club with a large wage budget?

Would you buy aged players who would win you league straight away or would you think more towards the future and long term?

Back
Top Bottom