Football Manager 2018

Associate
Indeed. I think they know that people will buy the game regardless so know they don't have to necessarily change much visibly each year. This new dynamics feature looks like something they've spent ages on when they could have spent the time making changes that've been asked for.

There are loads of changes that are requested every year that go unanswered. I appreciate they started in a bedroom but they are a fairly large company now with a lot of employees and testers. Even little things like being able to announce you are leaving at the end of the season instead of the abrupt either you take a new job or stay approach. I know last year they changed the architecture to make better use of Windows and that's fine and time consuming as it needed to happen but every year there's a 'new' feature that eventually becomes tedious after 1 season.

I suppose I can't overly complain when they keep rolling out 25% discounts each year on pre order but I don't think they listen to their fan base as much as they make out.

Soldato
If I'm not a massive football fan would I still be able to enjoy this game? I like the idea of a management / simulation game to play. I mean in an ideal world there would be a game in a similar vein for Cricket but I'd be happy to try out this one.

What do you think? Should I give it a miss or is it easy to get into? Is there a tutorial at all?

Associate
If I'm not a massive football fan would I still be able to enjoy this game? I like the idea of a management / simulation game to play. I mean in an ideal world there would be a game in a similar vein for Cricket but I'd be happy to try out this one.

What do you think? Should I give it a miss or is it easy to get into? Is there a tutorial at all?

It's difficult to say, I've played it for over 20 years in its various guises so there's never anything really new to take in.

In terms of gameplay FM18 won't vary much from FM17. Might be worth trying FM17 first for a couple of days? Not sure how much it is on steam but if you buy from there you have 2 hours of gameplay before the window for a refund shuts. Also CDKeys have it for around 8 quid I think. An hour or two on it would give you a better feel for it and the amount of data that is searchable / useable.

Soldato
It's difficult to say, I've played it for over 20 years in its various guises so there's never anything really new to take in.

In terms of gameplay FM18 won't vary much from FM17. Might be worth trying FM17 first for a couple of days? Not sure how much it is on steam but if you buy from there you have 2 hours of gameplay before the window for a refund shuts. Also CDKeys have it for around 8 quid I think. An hour or two on it would give you a better feel for it and the amount of data that is searchable / useable.

That is a good idea. I'll see if FM17 fits the bill. Thanks.

Cricket Captain 2017. Childish Things. ;)

Wow. Didn't know that existed. That might give me something to geek out to while I wait for the Ashes :D. Thanks.

Soldato
FM classic mode for me, i skipped last year's update as reviews were poor.

will be interesting to see how they have updated the financial model for this season considering the huge money transfers and potential fair play rules violations last window.

will be great to start a season with birmingham city fc without having a crippling wage bill and a young team. but i am not sure how much scorched earth redknapp has left behind.

Associate
Last one I bought was 14, i jelly stop felt like it started to become like FIFA a bit with the lack of real changes and each game just felt like dlc with teams etc just getting updates. I may buy 18 as it’s been a massive gap for me but I will wait to see first reviews as the last one sounded pretty bad

Soldato
Brexit will 100% be in, probably still random on hard/soft exit..... Would be nice if it had a small chance of being overruled but unlikely!

As for the financial aspects, new TV deal in place, so I imagine most clubs will be flush with cash in the EPL..... Selling clubs will no doubt ask for more money from you though.

Associate
Brexit will 100% be in, probably still random on hard/soft exit..... Would be nice if it had a small chance of being overruled but unlikely!

As for the financial aspects, new TV deal in place, so I imagine most clubs will be flush with cash in the EPL..... Selling clubs will no doubt ask for more money from you though.

Don't really see big transfer budgets in the first window outside of the EPL on FM, usually see the money come through at the end of the first season. I produced the starting budgets on FMScout for the find a club part and the only real surprises were Everton, Southampton and Swansea. Looking forward to seeing their take on PSG finances though!!

Soldato
Well it's only the EPL that's going to have the massive starting budgets, la liga should be a bit more balanced. Bundesliga should see an increase across all top divisions but nowhere near EPL levels.

As you say, we will have to see if that's included in the first window or if the clubs just choose to keep a healthy balance.

Those videos are awful.

Associate
Thanks to whoever posted about CM 01/02 - Going to download that tomorrow.

I wasted many hours on 01/02 back in the day. 5 seasons unbeaten in all competitions! Scoring 100+ and conceding around 15-20 usually (league). No cheats, no hacks, just a weird formation which crushed everyone.

Formation went

GK
CD CD
RW LW
DM
CM CM
AMC
ST ST

Wide, fast, high pressure with attacking wing backs. Only works if you start with a decent team though.

To stay on topic, I won't be buying FM18. As pointed out, it takes far too long to play a season now. Back in the CM days, a season could last as little as a day. Having downloaded the FM17 demo last year, it took me 8 hours just to get out of pre-season/do some scouting.

edit - it appears it won't post the formation properly.

Caporegime
Ironically Brexit makes for a better experience in my opinion. It means you can find those 15 year old wonderkids and get them at 17 without the need to send them to remote feeders for 5 years.

That's not how it plays out?
You can have it where you've managed to get a Spanish wonder kid who can't play for you until he's able to get a work permit. Which in many cases is when they're in the national team. Championship teams will just struggle to sign most Europeans.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I follow you? In my post Brexit game I could find wonderkids, and have them join my club at 17, from anywhere in the world. They were all given permits regardless of where they came from. The only issue I would run into is if I had too many under 23's from Europe or beyond. Each player would count towards my foreign player limit. I was under the impression this was the 'soft' brexit, whereby I had left the European Union. But I never really have understood how it works.

Associate
I suspect there will be an increase in the chance of hard Brexit in FM18, think FM17 was predominantly soft Brexit scenarios. Not seen any stats to show the percentage chance of each Brexit scenario though.

Back
Top Bottom