Football Manager 2018

Man of Honour
I wasted many hours on 01/02 back in the day. 5 seasons unbeaten in all competitions! Scoring 100+ and conceding around 15-20 usually (league). No cheats, no hacks, just a weird formation which crushed everyone.

cm 0102's match engine is biased towards fast paced, narrow formations (yeah, i'm still playing it 15 years later lol)

Associate
Latest video on the 'new' match engine is a bit of a let down. Looks like I'll still be watching 2D. Also the player faces on the kits pre match is probably going to have issues with facepacks

Man of Honour
I've heard that the match engine has been redesigned from the ground up. You wont necessarily see huge differences this year but they've done it so that animations et al are much easier to produce in future. Means we should see some big improvements in due course.

Associate
I've heard that the match engine has been redesigned from the ground up. You wont necessarily see huge differences this year but they've done it so that animations et al are much easier to produce in future. Means we should see some big improvements in due course.

Hopefully, just want to get on the Beta now to get back into it. At that point where it isn't worth starting a new save on 17 as the Beta could be out by Thursday next week

Associate

they always try pitching that its untrue they work on a 3-5 year structure so if they was going to change it when 64bit game was first introduced would have been the best time.

If they was really rebuilding things on the game they would need more then 12 months this is a company that has fairly limited staff which is why they work on keep base the same for many years just adding things on.

This is why it's not worth buying every year take a break for few years is best

Associate
they always try pitching that its untrue they work on a 3-5 year structure so if they was going to change it when 64bit game was first introduced would have been the best time.

If they was really rebuilding things on the game they would need more then 12 months this is a company that has fairly limited staff which is why they work on keep base the same for many years just adding things on.

Which is why I wish that they'd skip a year, sell an official update patch if needs be and release a completely overhauled game the following year.

Man of Honour

I'm just going by what I've read elsewhere. But I do believe they've worked on the engine. I'm a beta tester on another game (a military sim) and the team rolled out a new graphics engine, but the front end looked the same - players wouldn't be able to tell. It was stuff behind the scenes that changed dramatically allowing for a much easier upgrade path in the future. This took around 18 months, so like you say, it would take longer than a year. But they may have been working on this for some time. I've also seen major transitions between Open GL and Direct X, and again as a player you wouldn't necessarily notice. But from a marketing perspective it's a total upgrade.

Caporegime
I tell you what, miles is pretty terrible as a PR guy.

I understand he gets annoyed as people asking for the beta, but the way FM is conducted sometimes is astounding. Literally no news till weeks before launch. He really puts me off wanting to actually buy the game and support his company.

I wiped my PC as I got a vega 64 and new SSD so didn't install FM for a fresh game as it was pointless. But it's killing me waiting on the beta.

Associate
I tell you what, miles is pretty terrible as a PR guy.

I understand he gets annoyed as people asking for the beta, but the way FM is conducted sometimes is astounding. Literally no news till weeks before launch. He really puts me off wanting to actually buy the game and support his company.

I wiped my PC as I got a vega 64 and new SSD so didn't install FM for a fresh game as it was pointless. But it's killing me waiting on the beta.

There's a thread on reddit about it and a link to twitter where he is just being a total **** to a young lad who cheekily asked if he could have the Beta like Greizman had it.

https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/921806694535106561

Soldato
Indeed - I don't even follow Football Manager games too closely, but even I know he has an awful temperament. Such a shame really :(

Associate
He just said it won't be out til Thursday or Friday. Most likely Friday as he encountered a crash dump that isn't an easy fix. The SI forum thread on the beta got closed as well this evening after some 'discussion' about release dates.

Soldato
lol what a total nob, I hope he gets replaced at some point. Complete lack of vision and could easily service FM fans way better than they currently do.

Associate
lol what a total nob, I hope he gets replaced at some point. Complete lack of vision and could easily service FM fans way better than they currently do.

Sadly he is the boss the though. He also told a PE teacher if he applied for a job at SI he would get told no and wouldn't get very far. He's just a douche. I understand twitter can be frustrating but just post official announcements and avoid engaging the public if you haven't got the aptitude to be civil and respecting of excited fans.

Caporegime
The problem with the beta is the open ended date, and then getting annoyed at people for asking.

Just state "Beta at X date, full launch at Y date" and end of.

Then again, there are problems with the fact we're days away from the beta and we haven't really experienced the match engine, which makes or breaks the game. I don't understand how you can take pre-orders of a game for months, but only in the last few weeks having had any info.

Associate
The problem with the beta is the open ended date, and then getting annoyed at people for asking.

Just state "Beta at X date, full launch at Y date" and end of.

Then again, there are problems with the fact we're days away from the beta and we haven't really experienced the match engine, which makes or breaks the game. I don't understand how you can take pre-orders of a game for months, but only in the last few weeks having had any info.

This is why is my last chance with it. Today it was announced you can now choose to allow a player on a hatrick to take a penalty if you win one. If this is the level of individual announcements then I genuinely fear for the lack of improvement on the match engine.

Man of Honour
Well, I fear a lot of people in this thread will be disappointed. I actually prefer subtle improvements, and I'm quite to happy to pay for that. The game as it stands is a winning forumla, not just because there isn't any competition, but because it works. It works very well. I've spent thousands of hours in the various guises of the game, and to me that is value for money. Sure, there are problems. But I don't want sweeping changes. That creates more problems in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom