• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For a gaming build i5 8600k vs i7 8700k?

The 8700K will have 0 gaming performance over the 8600K for about the next 10 years so yes get the water block for the GPU.

this is what was said about the 2600k too, look how that turned out. the hyperthreaded i7s aged much better than the non hyperthreaded i5s

We should all get the 7600k then if 4 threads are the future.

I didn't say threads, i said "logical processors"

The 7600K or the 8350K wouldn't be a good choice as some of it would be used up by background services ecte..
Thats why 4 core Hyper threaded CPU's perform batter than just 4 logical cores alone, and that's recent, DX12 recent. its simply gone from 2 cores in DX11 to 4 in DX12, 10 years.

Last edited:
I didn't say threads, i said "logical processors"

The 7600K or the 8350K wouldn't be a good choice as some of it would be used up by background services ecte..
Thats why 4 core Hyper threaded CPU's perform batter than just 4 logical cores alone, and that's recent, DX12 recent. its simply gone from 2 cores in DX11 to 4 in DX12, 10 years.

So what would you recommend? A 4c8t?

The choice is between an i5 8600K and a an i7 8700K, i already made my recommendation, you guys just didn't like it.

The 8700K will have 0 gaming performance over the 8600K for about the next 10 years so yes get the water block for the GPU.

Author...

So do I save £100 with the 8600k that pays for a waterblock on the 1080Ti or what you guys think overall?

The choice is between an i5 8600K and a an i7 8700K, i already made my recommendation, you guys just didn't like it.

Author...

I'd have thought given how more cores are becoming the norm the i7 would be the choice.
What gains is a water block going to bring? It seems wrong pairing an i5 with the top end gpu.

I'd have thought given how more cores are becoming the norm the i7 would be the choice.
What gains is a water block going to bring? It seems wrong pairing an i5 with the top end gpu.

Better longevity, better overclocking so higher performance on his GPU and cooler - quieter running, that's something very tangible and desirable compared with no difference what-so-ever in gaming performance 8600K vs 8700K.

Better longevity, better overclocking so higher performance on his GPU and cooler - quieter running, that's something very tangible and desirable compared with no difference what-so-ever in gaming performance 8600K vs 8700K.

By the time longevity comes into it that 1080ti will be obsolete, i think most have 3 years warranty anyhow.
Going by history of how hyper threading helped the longevity over the i5's I'd be getting the i7. If the z370 truly is a dead platform then buying the best now makes sense.

By the time longevity comes into it that 1080ti will be obsolete, i think most have 3 years warranty anyhow.
Going by history of how hyper threading helped the longevity over the i5's I'd be getting the i7. If the z370 truly is a dead platform then buying the best now makes sense.

The Pascal is already obsolete.

You're assuming that, you're assuming he doesn't want to keep the GPU for a few years... he didn't ask about the GPU, its a £650 GPU, he asked what he asked "what the CPU for the 1080TI" he wants to know if he needs to pair it with one CPU or the other.

You are answering a question he didn't ask all to sell him a more expensive CPU so Intel get £100 more out of him where he doesn't need it and its better spent elsewhere.

You're assuming that, you're assuming he doesn't want to keep the GPU for a few years... he didn't ask about the GPU, its a £650 GPU, he asked what he asked "what the CPU for the 1080TI" he wants to know if he needs to pair it with one CPU or the other.

You are answering a question he didn't ask all to sell him a more expensive CPU so Intel get £100 more out of him where he doesn't need it.

Yes, this is all about me trying to get him to fill intels pockets lol, OP whilst your at it you'll need an optane drive too.

Makes sense with a Nvidia card. The gaming market could go the big grain IPC route and not bother leveraging fine grain CPU performance. We do see performance per core winning and you could argue the 7740X is the best gaming chip when paired with a DX11 card with enough performance.

I personally think core count and dropping the DX11 model is the way forward, but right now a lot of people still play DX11 based games.

Make sense with a Nvidia card. The gaming market could go the big grain IPC route and not bother leveraging fine grain CPU performance. We do see performance per core winning and you could argue the 7740X is the best gaming chip when paired with a DX11 card with enough performance.

We've already seen that you know nothing about IPC

Again IPC has barley nothing to do with a CPU's performance.

For that resolution and GPU, go for 8700k. i7's usually last a year or two longer than i5's, and in some games there are already big differences between the two. I agree, future-proofing isn't possible to predict, but we can look at how past i5/i7 have aged to draw conclusions.

You've got it the wrong way around - the GPU will be the bottleneck at that resolution, so spending the extra 100 on a CPU will give you such small, if any, performance improvements. The money would be better spent on an SSD to improve overall system responsiveness, or an additional one for faster game loading, for example.

+1 ^^^ an SSD is a good idea if you don't already have one, it does make a huge difference not just to system responsiveness and load time but also smoothness for any game installed on it, games still read off the drive during gameplay and the faster the drive the smoother the game will run.

Back
Top Bottom