• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For a gaming build i5 8600k vs i7 8700k?

To be honest it does get a bit tedious reading through some of the petty arguing in here sometimes, The cpu sub forum is getting like the graphics cards one once was.

woah guys like I said I can afford an i7 but if there is no benefit to gaming then it there is not much point. It's about the smart choice/bang for buck.

If you've never had a GPU under water you'd probably not understand. I had 470's in sli watercooled silently running 40% core overclocks rock solid, it's really a beautiful thing. If I can get a 1080ti at 2ghz i'd love that and the more so if it's not limited in any way by an i5.

This thread has been of some use however, there are arguments for someone like me who doesn't adopt every new platform to consider the i7, if I can get one to 5ghz i'll be happy. No way am I going pre-binned though.

I've never spent so much on a CPU before, usually I get a £160-170 mobo and smililarly priced CPU! Things have changed...

woah guys like I said I can afford an i7 but if there is no benefit to gaming then it there is not much point. It's about the smart choice/bang for buck.

If you've never had a GPU under water you'd probably not understand. I had 470's in sli watercooled silently running 40% core overclocks rock solid, it's really a beautiful thing. If I can get a 1080ti at 2ghz i'd love that and the more so if it's not limited in any way by an i5.

This thread has been of some use however, there are arguments for someone like me who doesn't adopt every new platform to consider the i7, if I can get one to 5ghz i'll be happy. No way am I going pre-binned though.

I've never spent so much on a CPU before, usually I get a £160-170 mobo and smililarly priced CPU! Things have changed...

It poses no gain YET, but if history is anything to go by then that hyper threading can help prolong that platform.
Looking back at how the 2600k does against the 2500k is worth the £100 in my opinion. Take a look in the battlefield 1 threads, full of people complaining how their i5 is struggling.

For pure gaming I would get the i5 over the i7. No need for all that cpu power just for gaming at that resolution.

Even if were talking 1080p, even then the 8600k would be so fast.

The 1080ti will get all it needs from the i5 at ultrawide 1440p.

You will be gpu bound at that resolution anyway.

Buy the best you can now because there's unlikely to be any more leaps while we are still on silicone based chips.

Even the 2600k is still fine for gaming on which is why used prices are still strong on old i7s. I only lost about £100 on my 2600k in the 5 years I had it lol (and sold the motherboard for more than I bought it for!).

Back
Top Bottom