For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadlift works the most muscle groups, this is why its good for mass building. I find squats more harsh than deadlifts.

deadlift I do
60 x 12
140 x 12
180 x 8 (had a poor showing last week only got 4, I get bruising on my hand and I did a strongman grip test previous Saturday)

When I started I could do 180 x 2, and there was a fear with lifting near max weight, but I only do 1 heavy set a week. Nothing to get stressed about.

For squats I do
60 x15
100 x 12
120 x 6 (to 8) x 4 sets

front squats
80 x 8 x 4 sets

I do other exercises after the ones I listed but I find squats more demanding due to the concentration and number of sets.

I was trying you convince ^Tank^ to continue with deadlift not sure if I hit the spot though.:)

Love Dead lifts :D I think the reason is because you really feel like you are shifting a lot of weight!!
I do mine opposite a mirror (just the location of this particular set-up ;)) and love watching the bar bend as you lift the weight off the floor!

I was trying you convince ^Tank^ to continue with deadlift not sure if I hit the spot though.:)

It really Isn't my thing I'm afraid, I have a tendency to put myself off of a workout if I hate the routine:(. I would really like to get into squats on a smith machine again, I really think I could push myself on one of those 250 kilos plus!

Well my first session in a long time in the gym, had myself a chest/bicep day today. Got to say I like this new gym too, actually a lot more balls to the walls than I first realised which is a good thing. Cardio machines are in a separate room and upstairs have a punchbag and a speedbag that you can use anytime you want. Had some huge guys in when I was in too and relatively friendly lot too.

Lifts were quite poor though and was really feeling the back of my shoulders on the bench (always used a smith machine before that too) so need to look at some rotator cuff (or whatever you call them) exercises. Also going to have to rework the diet a little and have more carbs before the gym. Still feeling good and going to tuck into some chicken breast now :p

Love Dead lifts :D I think the reason is because you really feel like you are shifting a lot of weight!!
I do mine opposite a mirror (just the location of this particular set-up ;)) and love watching the bar bend as you lift the weight off the floor!

I loved it at the David Lloyd when the bar would bend, don't get that now with a 700kg rated Olympic bar;).

Tonights Session

Flat BB bench

8*60
8*65
5*70
5*75PB

Incline DB Bench

8*25
8*25
5*25
8*20

Close Grip Bench

8*50
7*57.5PB
8*55

Bench Dips

8*BW
8*BW+15kg
8*Bw+15kg

Really pleased with my BB bench tonight really dont know where that 75kg came from just thought **** it lets load it up and have a go. 72.5 was my previous best well on for 80kg by new year

Friday:

Had a bit of a "end of the week need to get it out of me" session tonight - felt good.

Wide grip chins:

8xBW
8xBW
8xBW
7xBW+10kg
5xBW+10kg

Dips:

8xBW
8xBW
8xBW+20kg
8xBW+30kg
5xBW+40kg (never done that before, they were deep and full dips - REALLY happy with that!)

Bent over rear lateral raises:

8x21kg
8x22.5kg
8x25kg
8x27.5kg
6x27.5kg

Single arm cable tricep pull down // Supersetted with single arm DB tricep extension:

8x20kg
8x25kg
8x35kg
8x40kg
6x45kg

6x15kg
7x15kg
7x15kg
6x15kg
6x15kg

Bent over single arm rows:

8x40kg (each arm)
8x40kg (each arm)
8x40kg (each arm)
8x40kg (each arm)
8x40kg (each arm)

Really didn't struggle with these, I need to slow down the movements even more I think to make it hurt a bit more.

CGBP:

10x60kg
8x80kg
6x90kg
5x100kg

That's it... really happy with the chins and dips, I enjoyed the BORs and it's been a while since I've done tricep work so thought I'd give it a bash. Overall happy with the workout, about 70mins.

I'm never happy with the approach to hitting rear delts, in all honesty the only exercise I do to do them is lying rear delt raises. I used to do bent over rear raises but always felt I couldnt get horizontal enough to take emphysis away from my lat delts.

Really though, 27.5...that is simply crazy.

I'm never happy with the approach to hitting rear delts, in all honesty the only exercise I do to do them is lying rear delt raises. I used to do bent over rear raises but always felt I couldnt get horizontal enough to take emphysis away from my lat delts.

Really though, 27.5...that is simply crazy.

best isolation for rear delts is standing rear cable flye. Hold a cable with one hand about level with your shoulder and stand 45degrees to the stack/tower swing your arm backwhile holding it straight and pause at the back for a second.

I personally have weak and poorly developed rear delts, however i have recently found that to be linked to a lack of tower work (lat pull downs and seated rows) my row strength is now increasing massivley and rear delts get hit plenty doing these and chins.

IMO rear delts are hit best with light weight and static isometric holds at the top of the motion, with heavy weight it is easy to complete a rep through momentum generated from the lats and biceps. Very few people can hold the weight at the top of a row that they can rep, i make a point on the last rep of the heaviest set to hold the final rep at the top of the concentric for a few seconds. This proves that the weight is being controlled fully at all points in the lift. Too many people accelerate massive weight up to the top of the lift and pretty much allow it to drop through the eccentic. Whilst powerlifting like this has its place for the masses i dont agree with it.

As UE said, there's trap and medial involvement with bent over lateral raises - but there was very little swinging and the form was solid. Getting stronger again, I'm really starting to pack on the strength and muscle over the past month which I'm very pleased with.

Saturday:

Old Paulines vs Racal Decca

Our league game got called off by the opposition so we got the points and played a friendly instead against Old Paulines who are a division above us. Ended up losing 26-15 but to be honest the game was a lot closer and some bad decisions by the ref didn't help.

The ref did admit at least 2 or 3 times that he had made bad calls against us, and the line outs were really unfavourable towards us (Racal Decca) - I reckon had they not scored so early in the game, and their last try (which shouldn't have counted even the ref apologised) we could have pipped them. In the last 25 mins of the game we were predominantly in their half of the pitch so we were getting very dominant but just didn't finish it off which is a shame. Great game though - made some good runs, even the ref admitted it lol! Got some big tackles in and have some very big bruises to prove it :o I was playing centre which suits me well as I was able to tear through 2/3 of their backs, I just out-powered them significantly - my other centre is of the same build so together we did destroy their backs, but we were a prop down so someone had to step in which wasn't their natural position but the loss can't be pin pointed on that.

Great fun though - I love this game! :D

i had my diet in check until a few months ago until i moved in with my missus and its gone to pot now. i feel my training is going to waste and i am getting smaller and my lifts are getting lighter

any one got any decent diet plans i work out Mon-thurs and have a fairly sedate job which is 6am-430pm

i had my diet in check until a few months ago until i moved in with my missus and its gone to pot now. i feel my training is going to waste and i am getting smaller and my lifts are getting lighter

any one got any decent diet plans i work out Mon-thurs and have a fairly sedate job which is 6am-430pm

Should be the opposite m8, moving in with someone should take the emphasis off going out and quick fix meals and more toward planned proper meals, if shes carrying any weight she shouldnt (lets face it all women are fatter than they wanna be) you can use it as leverage to clean up your eating. If you cant get her off the pies then you tell her straight that you have a goal and if she doesnt want to help you then she can at least let you get on with it. Too many people hide behind the needs of others when excusing themselves.

Its up to you to eat right. It isnt rocket science. high protein med fats low carb at least 5 out of 7 days. If many meals a day is difficult use shakes. Get your omega 3's and a good multi vit. Stick to that, thats all, no fancy combination, no clever science. Adjust carb intake to alter whether you bulk or cut.

If you really want it laid out you could do my diet, lol well try, 4 shakes per day and 4 chicken breasts, 20 fish oil caps, 4 eggs. Every day, rain or shine. If i bulk i add bread and potatoes. If im cutting i dont. 2 days i eat anything i fancy. I have a pint of ale almost every day no later than 9pm.

Easy

aye this is true, i just want to get some extra development have the benches to help develop the tri's as well as skull crushers.

based on your last post m8 your numbers and measuments are now up there with freefallers, your outlifting me, perhaps its time for a visit to the pics thread? Would love to see the progress!

If you really want it laid out you could do my diet, lol well try, 4 shakes per day and 4 chicken breasts, 20 fish oil caps, 4 eggs. Every day, rain or shine. If i bulk i add bread and potatoes. If im cutting i dont. 2 days i eat anything i fancy. I have a pint of ale almost every day no later than 9pm.

Just like to ask here - how much difference does the "juice" make to how your diet effects performance?

Just like to ask here - how much difference does the "juice" make to how your diet effects performance?

It still all hinges on diet. That has been my diet for 18months of drug free bodybuilding.

When juicing what is raised is your baseline ability. you dont magically create energy out of thin air. You metabolise protein better, you have enhaced muscular control. Strength goes up and muscle growth goes up. In this situation its much easier to fatigue the CNS and deplete phosphate reserves.

So diet becomes much more important.

To my mind it's still all about protein, just protein and calories.

Last edited:
Sunday morning gym is not funny! Felt a bit werid to start with but made up for it :)

Dips
8xBW
8x5kg
8x10kg
8x10kg
8x15kg-PB :D

Incline bench press
4x8-40kg + bar

Close grip bench
4 x8 30kg + bar

Incline flys
4 x8 12.5kg DB

Feeling a bit stronger, totaly wrecked by the end of it, was done in 40 mins. Think i mite add some DB bench in there to. Diets been rubbish all week, due to work realy felt a big lack of energy towards the end. But all in all i'm happy new pb :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom