For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know I'll gain fine it's the bodyfat I was worried about at the moment. Still not like I got much choice since my ankle is about as fat as my calf now :p

At least I can now be a cool kid and say to people that I'm cutting, eh?

That's debateable, but it is true that 90%+ of weight loss is by diet than exercise for the average joe.

Thing with running is that its too easy to get into a routine. Ask most runners what their daily run is and they'll tell you, then ask them what their run was 6 months ago and they'll give the same answer 9 times outta ten.

The body only changes through adaptation to new stresses, unless it's presented with challenge it wont change. Hasnt it ever bothered you that fat(relativley) people run the london marathon? No way could I do that, yet people with many times my bodyfat can!? odd. The fact is that running is a weight loss fail on a number of fronts -

1) The body is able to quickly adapt to becoming an efficient runner, using fewer and fewer calories for a given distance over time

2)It is 'convenient' both mentally and practically for a runner to maintain the same time and distance over many months and years without progress.

3)A runner builds little muscle in any real sense, the body maintains the bare minimum state required to complete the usual circuit, this means less calories burned the rest of the time, muscle is the calorie furnace without muscle you use very few calories all the time your not in the gym

All of these fact illustrate, pretty irreffutably, that running is a poor fat burner. And all of them can be looked at from the weight training perspective to be positive

1) The body cannot quickly adapt to the stresses that are being put on it in each session due to the high intensity and dynamic nature of a proper training reigieme

2) It is NOT convenient mentally to maintain the same lifts for many months, the user will likely push for even small increases in numbers.

3) Weight training builds significant muscle, enhanced aesthetics aside, this allows more calories to be burnt persuing mundane daily activities and sleeping, burning more calories overall equals faster and easier weight loss.

Sure you can come back and tell me how a runner with proper coaching and or discipline can be always increasing his times and or distances to maintain the dynamic exercise system im criticizing in 1 and 2. But i ask you this, out of all the casual, non competetive runners out there what percent do you think watch their times and alter their routes to consistently improve?

Then ask yourself the same thing about gym goers... Sure there are plenty of hopeless cases on either side but pluck a general percentage out of the air for those two categories and i think you'd be hard pushed not to agree.

a progressive carido routine would burn more imo. I don't mean just running. With more cardio capability, you can do more exercise to burn more and rinse repeat, increasing like you would with weights - be it for longer, or on a higher incline/resistance. With weights you'll get bigger, and yes, you will burn cal's but it's just not burning the amount of calories compared to cardio. This is why a row sprint of say 1000m or such will leave you heavily out of breath with sweat streaming, but 5reps at your 5RM DL's or Bench won't. You'll be sweating maybe, and a little heavier breathing, but nothing compared to cardio.

You need oxygen to burn calories. So the heavier you need to breathe, the more cal's you are burning..

Well frankly I prefer gym to running anyway so I suppose it's not the end of the world if I have to give up running for a bit and if I can lose weight while in the gym then all the better.

Good thing I found what looks like quite a decent balls to the wall gym yesterday I will pop in tomorrow for my first session in a while and since these frozen oven chips, elevating my foot and elastic bandage are doing wonders on the swelling may even have a legs day by the end of the week.

I did Deadlifts last night, but my sweaty hands and the slippery metal barbell made it hard to grip it.

I am also getting rough skin on my hands since starting lifting 2 months back.

Does anyone have any gloves they use for Deadlifts to recommend?

Thanks.

don't use gloves end of.

This. Use a bit of moisturising cream if you're worried. Those rough bits are calloused man-badges. Wear them with pride :p

I'm up to 1kg on front and side raises. Rotator cuff work is up to red therabands with a 3 second hold at the apex of the movement, 10 reps 3 sets. Static pronated holds are 1KG 3 sets of 6, 10 second holds.

Don't I feel hard :p Shoulder rehab for the loose.

Ant :cool:

I did Deadlifts last night, but my sweaty hands and the slippery metal barbell made it hard to grip it.

I am also getting rough skin on my hands since starting lifting 2 months back.

Does anyone have any gloves they use for Deadlifts to recommend?

Thanks.

Straps or chalk. I would check to see if you are allowed to use chalk before you just go ahead and use it in your gym

I am at a David Lloyd so I'm not sure what their policy is on Chalk, I'll ask. I assume I'll just have to clean it off the grip afterwards..

By the way why is it that you advise against gloves?

Deadlifted 60KG which while probably weakest in this thread, still is good for me and I'm happy with it being a newbie. Still got a long way before Straps I think.. :)

Gloves impare your lifting rather than help it - they get in the way and they really don't help I can assure you. :) Nothing wrong with 60kg - we all need to start somewhere, and at least you're doing deadlifts which is good to see. :)

I am at a David Lloyd so I'm not sure what their policy is on Chalk, I'll ask. I assume I'll just have to clean it off the grip afterwards..

By the way why is it that you advise against gloves?

Deadlifted 60KG which while probably weakest in this thread, still is good for me and I'm happy with it being a newbie. Still got a long way before Straps I think.. :)

I started about 3 months ago and was lifting around 60kg, but now I'm up to 80kg for 3x8 and I think I'm ready to go further. When I started my hands would get very sore and slippery and the skin would break, but now I've got calouses they don't get cut anymore and I find the bar doesn't slip much at all. Grip strength is a major factor in dead lifting and the more you do to help it the less strong your grip will be. Just keep at it with your bare hands, take it slow and you'll find in a few months you'll make great progress.

I'm looking towards that magical 100kg but it seems so far off! It seems impossible that people lift much more than that with ease! I did a one rep max of 100kg a few weeks back but that was damned hard, it's going to be a while before I can lift that for a set...

When you really think about it, 60Kg is actually quite a lot. If you were to lift 60KG at the workplace unassisted, you are breaking the H&S law for example. :)

I'm tempted to get some gloves. The callouses on my hands are getting quite large and I reckon gloves would help just because the metal grips on the bars I use are quite er.. sharp?

as a newbie, 60kg is probably about right.. i must say i was weightlifting approx 3years before i even did 1 dead lift at 350lb first time.. didn't like it

then worlds strongest man came on and i perhaps do them once a month now perhaps twice dependant on when my mate turns up can comfortably push out 500lb now (1 RM) and train at 150kg (for 10)

Atm just revamping my biscep routine as i want to hit 18" (half inch to go) then build up to 19"...

Morba whats the guys name who did that add an inch to your bi's a day?

I really hate dead lifting:(, I simply cant push myself if I don't enjoy an exercise. I done 2x4 220kg dead lifts last night and I just felt like its not worth it anymore I think I'll just stick to silly heavy seated rows for my lower back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom