For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I start weight training, will I see anysubstantial results before I finish growing (I'm 14)? It's just that a few people have told me that I can train all I like and have a perfect diet, but until I naturally build up, weight training won't do anything for me.
I've read that it's a load of poo that weight training stunts your growth?

If I start weight training, will I see anysubstantial results before I finish growing (I'm 14)? It's just that a few people have told me that I can train all I like and have a perfect diet, but until I naturally build up, weight training won't do anything for me.
I've read that it's a load of poo that weight training stunts your growth?

You can get strong but you wont see much size. Heavy training can help stop bone growth, and since bone growth is the major contributor to overall height yes it can stunt your growth. The best thing you can do at 14 is to learn to control your diet and get yourself fit. Take up as many sports and activities as you can. Make sure you swim as much as possible as swimming at a young age helps to broaden shoulders which would give you a great foundation for muscle later on.

Once you hit 16 or 17 its pretty safe to hit the weights and get big! But you need that quality foundation to get anywhere.

Popped down to my local Morrisons(Lincoln) this morning to get a few bits on pieces Tuna was on my list as I ran out yesterday. First thing before I even got through the electric gates was a huuuuge pallet of John West Tuna Chunks 4 pack on special offer @ £2.49 each.

It may not be the best Tuna available and yes it is in brine, but its damn cheap, especially if your a student. Just thought i'd let you all know incase anybody was running low. Not sure if this was a nationwide offer...

I fell to my knees and prayed to give thanks to god when I realised there was actually frozen meat in the frozen food section of the super market. Never realised I could buy Chicken breast, Mince etc so cheap. Don't really rate Tesco's value chicken breast though. Used to be dirt cheap (£3.5/kg) up until a few months ago, still is dirt cheap when compared to fresh (£4.5/kg when I last looked)

I've sprained my bloody arm!!

I did it yesterday somehow :(

any recovery guesstimates?

Any ideas to speed up recovery? who would bother to take Ibuprofen as it slows down protein synthesis..

no this isnt a medical question

I don't really like the thought of "cheap" mince and products, somehow it just makes me think "what's wrong with it"... So I'm a bit :dunno: about that.

Gareth, just rest really mate, there's nothing much else you can do. :(

I agree with you on the cheap meat products FF ^

IIRC there was quite a big thread on muscletalk a year or so back about the quality of Tesco Value chicken.

I think for the most part meat is meat, the hangups over quality are rarely based in fact, just recirculated fiction started by the organovegan prius driving mob. Biologically speaking whole chicken breast is whole chicken breast, unlike the reconstituted sliced stuff it can't be infused with large quantities of water to bulk it up, it's meat pure and simple and there is no evidence to suggest that meat coMposition varies based on the health or wellbeing of the chicken. There's no logic to these assumptions, just pseudoscience created by the overly wary general public.

Rough cut so not all would be according to Hoyle 'breast' plus fat and some, that's some, water and you get 85% I don't see the big deal with Tesco protectig themselves from litigation over the less stringently controlled products. Chicken nuggets at mcdonalds are a different kettle of fish at around 25-30% chicken....

I'm afraid I disagree U_E, I believe you pay for decent food, and supermarkets source it cheaply and sell it cheaply because it is cheap to start with. I've done taste tests between supermarket chicken and a chicken a friend killed/hung and plucked himself from his farm, the difference was absolutely clear as day.

Also a healthy happy animal = higher nutritional content of the meat. The quality of meat from my butcher vs the counter service at the supermarket is clear, purely from even looking at the meat, let alone tasting it.

Then again I'm a food snob, and I thoroughly enjoy my cooking and good food, and I save mince and packaged meat from the supermarket for emergencies or for freezing. Don't get me wrong I eat it and I eat it several times a week, however a minimum of 3x a week I shall consume meat from the butcher/fishmonger.

I like tuna but I only eat it a couple of times a week owing to it's mercury content, I know in general it shouldn't be a problem but it can cause troubles with some people. The bigger the predator the more mercury it contains.

There are ways to detoxify mercury thus reducing its effects on you. The most potent mercury detoxifier is selenium. A daily intake of 50 to 100mcg may provide significant protection. Seafood provides selenium, as do seeds and nuts. While Brazil nuts are supposed to be high, some analyses show very little. If you use multivitamins they can provide an additional 30mcg if you have the right ones.

Mercury may also be detoxified by a sulphation/methylation process that involves B6, B12, folic acid and zinc.

Tuna is lovely, but it's a treat for me not a staple part of my diet. Aim for oily fish like mackerel, trout and herring which contains much less mercury per gramme. Canned tuna isn't as bad but doesn't contain anywhere near as much omega 3.

The one thing about Tescos value chicken breast (frozen) is that it says on the package 'with added dextrose for extra succulence' or something of that nature. The protein content per 100g is also no where near the same as you would get in typical fresh breast found in their stores. (20.4g in the frozen vs 23g fresh)

I noticed at one of my local supermarkets, budgens, that their RSPCA inspected farms had chicken breast with nutritional content of 35g of protein per 100g of chicken breast. You're looking at £13 for a kilo of that though.

The one thing about Tescos value chicken breast (frozen) is that it doesn't taste as good as fresh breast, but I don't know what that is down to. The 'added dextrose' or something else? I hesitate to speculate.

One thing I also noticed is that the protein content in one of their cheaper frozen mince products (not 'value' though) is 23g per 100g of mince compared to 19g in their fresh mince. Now at £2.3 for 1kg of Mince I think that is a pretty good source of protein.

Just read the last few pages and chuckled.

Dinner - Tesco Value tuna in two slices of wholemeal bread with some mayo

Tea - Tesco Value chicken breast, 4 x Tesco Value eggs and 50g Tesco Value cheese

Probably eaten a tin of tuna a day for 2 or 3 years :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom