For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nooo delves i've been working in IT for the uni in Buckingham for 8months!

Hah, I meant going to the Gym in general buddy ;) I know about the job situation.

barbell has many applications ez curl bar few. You do the math.

But in the end you'll need both

So barbell to start off with.

Nice one gareth. :)

As for my protein, no more than 1/4 of it comes from powder, and on some days none, and I average a good 200g per day. :)

Just for giggles what foods is that consuming on a general day...So I can throw thing's around in my head.

Ta for replying.

As I said, I'm debating whether to really bother starting on protein powders or not, and just see how thing's go for a few months, my only issue is I'm not sure if I am going to be getting enough protein or not otherwise.

That's the reason I asked mainly, that and it seemed a cheap buy going by other products in the shops.

if money is an issue protein powder and milk will work out a lot cheaper than real foods. Meat costs a bomb when i go wholefood my average weekly bill for food will be in the region of £100, could get it down to about 70 without any luxuries. Thats 280 a month at best 400 at worst (hope you have a good job :p) with powders used 3/4 of the time it can be as little as 150 a month, much more reasonable!

Actually interesting challenge, who can put together the cheapest weekly shop from online supermarket prices for a diet containing 200g of protein a day? Fats must be low and so must carbs it must be a reasonable diet proffering 200g of protein in around 2800 kcal.

Be interesting to see how cheap it could be done!

Last edited:
if money is an issue protein powder and milk will work out a lot cheaper than real foods. Meat costs a bomb when i go wholefood my average weekly bill for food will be in the region of £100, could get it down to about 70 without any luxuries. Thats 280 a month at best 400 at worst (hope you have a good job :p) with powders used 3/4 of the time it can be as little as 150 a month, much more reasonable!

Well I have no job due to being made redundant not long ago! That's where my issue arises :p

So powders might have to be an option till I get some money behind me, which seems to be harder than finding blood in a stone at the moment.

Well I have no job due to being made redundant not long ago! That's where my issue arises :p

So powders might have to be an option till I get some money behind me, which seems to be harder than finding blood in a stone at the moment.

yes m8, powders are the way if cash is tight. Fact is 60 quid of unflavoured whey from MP (10kg) will last me a month easy, even on 4 shakes a day. As your not so big/heavy it should last you even longer, leaving more free cash for some nice big chicken dinners and steaks ! :D

yes m8, powders are the way if cash is tight. Fact is 60 quid of unflavoured whey from MP (10kg) will last me a month easy, even on 4 shakes a day. As your not so big/heavy it should last you even longer, leaving more free cash for some nice big chicken dinners and steaks ! :D

Very true indeed :)

I'll have to look in to it...I just wish I could land a job and get a decent career direction wedged into my head, proving to be difficult though, its just getting silly now, but oh well :).

Actually interesting challenge, who can put together the cheapest weekly shop from online supermarket prices for a diet containing 200g of protein a day? Fats must be low and so must carbs it must be a reasonable diet proffering 200g of protein in around 2800 kcal.

Be interesting to see how cheap it could be done!

This is how I do my weekly shop :D

pack of ASDA 1kg oats or two (50p a bag), asda brown rice (£1.20), hovis brown nutty bread(1.30), 2 bags of cheap frozen veg(1.50), bunch of bananas(£1), bunch of cheap apples(£1), (£5)8 tins of tuna, (3.20?)8 pints of milk, 2 packs of 400g asda mince (£2), 450?g of asda turkey meat (2.97), a large bottle of 'good oil' (£5?) with whats left I'll get some salmon or some chicken :)

edit: I got though 6pints of milk in a day yesterday :(

Last edited:

:eek: 5kg lasts me a couple of months and I feel like I'm using it too much sometimes :o

This is how I do my weekly shop :D

pack of ASDA 1kg oats or two (50p a bag), asda brown rice (£1.20), hovis brown nutty bread(1.30), 2 bags of cheap frozen veg(1.50), bunch of bananas(£1), bunch of cheap apples(£1), (£5)8 tins of tuna, (3.20?)8 pints of milk, 2 packs of 400g asda mince (£2), 450?g of asda turkey meat (2.97), a large bottle of 'good oil' (£5?) with whats left I'll get some salmon or some chicken :)

edit: I got though 6pints of milk in a day yesterday :(

How in the name of hell does that last u a week!

400g mince? ok thats about 4 meals max with the veg. The turkey meat might in some way make up another 4 then the tuna makes up some light meals lets say a can per day. So ignoring the other non protein containing foodstuffs (which we can assume go with the meals) you only have enough food for about 4 days not 7.

for me a 400g mince would make 2 portions of chilli or bolognese (obviously i rarely do pasta unless its lunch) i would buy 1.8kg chicken breast thats 6 servings at 300g each which i would throw in with some chicken tonight spanish sauce (pretty healthy compared to most pre made sauces). That takes care of about 8 main meals, lunch/dinner type then i have 24 eggs which makes 5 breakfasts at 5 eggs per day scrambled. Then id get say 2 large rump steaks (low quality ones, ive got this kick ass tenderizer full of banned items like msg that makes any steak taste like butter!) veg and other bits and the final meals would either be cheats (meals out, the odd shish kebab (not to be confused with DONER kebab!)) thats about my week. Your weekly shop looks like my average snack lol!

What i ate yesterday

Woke up had shake 60g unflavoured whey 50g fine oats
5 cups coffee (im addicted what can i say)
breakfast at 10, 5 eggs scrambled with salt pepper and balsamic vinegar
lunch 2 med chicken breasts grilled with serving of veg (chargrill seasoned yum)
Mid afternoon shake 60g protein
Dinner 350g steak peas boiled pots (because im not cutting)
mid evening Whey shake 60g protein (sometimes i have a large pot of natural yoghurt)
Pre bed Whey and casein shake

Thats a pretty usual day for me, cant seem to get enough carbs in but then i try to have carb up days where i eat baguettes and such or eggs on toast etc

Last edited:
"If you were to consume 300 Calories in pure protein (such as by a pure protein powder, or eggwhites, or something similar), the Thermogenic Effect would burn off 81 of those calories just during the act of digestion, leaving you with 219 calories."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/371448/understanding_the_thermogenic_effects.html?cat=5

I was just looking up what this meant, and I doubt the guy who was asking for advice had any clue what it was either, but it seems that (to put it bluntly) you don't know what it means either. That link contradicts the only "fact" you stated about it.

I'm not looking to be a stirrer but every time I see this tab open I think "now thats just not right"!

Im aware of this mate, good post. I was just doing a simple quick post in order to get the point across but didnt explain it well. Most people are likely the throw a serving in whey in their shake (~30g say) and continue on their way if they dont have time to get a proper meal in. Compared to sitting down and eating a proper meal there is no comparison due to the kcals consumed. Even if I had the option of a shake and meal of the same kcals, I would go for the meal as im likely to load the plate up with veggies and all round just consider it 'better' for lack of a better word.

As for the powders, I really try to limit my intake of protein from them and stick to whole foods as much as possible, except around workouts or bedtime. Not because I believe it makes a difference in terms of growth, i just want to have a varied diet

Obviously if money is tight then protein shakes are a fantastic cheap way of getting that extra protein in.

100g of chicken contains abotu 45g of protein though depending on how you cook it it denatures and you could end up with as little as 20g. Best way to maintain the protein is to boil it but that's boring as hell.

Oily fish such as mackerel typically has 20g per 100g.

Then of course you have red meats and pork to take into consideration.

Then there are pulses, dairy products, beans and eggs, nuts etc... It's not hard to get 200g of protein in.

A few eggs and some porrdige in the morning comes to near on 30g alone.

My weekly shop is over £60 for myself. I tend to eat 500g of mince in 2 sittings, or basically in 1 day. I eat 2 big meat portions a day, fish 2/3 times a week, over a dozen eggs a week, lots of nuts, beans, pulses and rice and pasta. I have 1 whole chicken a week at least too.

5kg of powder lasts me several months.

Obviously if money is tight then protein shakes are a fantastic cheap way of getting that extra protein in.

100g of chicken contains abotu 45g of protein though depending on how you cook it it denatures and you could end up with as little as 20g. Best way to maintain the protein is to boil it but that's boring as hell.

Oily fish such as mackerel typically has 20g per 100g.

Then of course you have red meats and pork to take into consideration.

Then there are pulses, dairy products, beans and eggs, nuts etc... It's not hard to get 200g of protein in.

A few eggs and some porrdige in the morning comes to near on 30g alone.

I love my porridge, eggs, and tuna so that's no biggy there ;)

I used to eat a fair amount of chicken during the week, but we haven't had any vast amounts of it for the past month or two, moneys tight in the household at the moment due to certain circumstances :(

Oh yes, concerning nuts, what are the better variety? Any type as long as they aren't salted? I've always beena bit weird when it concerns nuts (:p)

I love my porridge, eggs, and tuna so that's no biggy there ;)

I used to eat a fair amount of chicken during the week, but we haven't had any vast amounts of it for the past month or two, moneys tight in the household at the moment due to certain circumstances :(

If moneys tight I often sneak up to tesco's before they close and stack up on reduced meats and fish as they're going out of date within the next day or two. Freeze them up and they do you for donkeys. Also if you take a trip to the butcher they often do meat packs of basically a ton of stuff at reduced price. The second option may not be so attractive as this is still expensive, but cheaper than going all out. But raiding the supermarket of reduced stuff does me well, make a fair saving on steaks especially, nothing like a massive bit of rump for a 1/3 its original price

If moneys tight I often sneak up to tesco's before they close and stack up on reduced meats and fish as they're going out of date within the next day or two. Freeze them up and they do you for donkeys. Also if you take a trip to the butcher they often do meat packs of basically a ton of stuff at reduced price. The second option may not be so attractive as this is still expensive, but cheaper than going all out. But raiding the supermarket of reduced stuff does me well, make a fair saving on steaks especially, nothing like a massive bit of rump for a 1/3 its original price

Yeah, I'll keep it all in mind thanks :) I would prefer to get the protein from food just for my own reasons really, theres nothing young with shakes obviously, I'd just rather a nice bit of meat and veg on my plate :p

Quorn baby, quorn! It's awesome as a protein source and very low in saturated fat. Perfect for a stir fry, and it actually tastes really good! I've always got a few bags in the freezer and it means you don't have to have chicken for lunch and dinner everyday!! :o

How in the name of hell does that last u a week!

400g mince? ok thats about 4 meals max with the veg. The turkey meat might in some way make up another 4 then the tuna makes up some light meals lets say a can per day. So ignoring the other non protein containing foodstuffs (which we can assume go with the meals) you only have enough food for about 4 days not 7.

for me a 400g mince would make 2 portions of chilli or bolognese (obviously i rarely do pasta unless its lunch) i would buy 1.8kg chicken breast thats 6 servings at 300g each which i would throw in with some chicken tonight spanish sauce (pretty healthy compared to most pre made sauces). That takes care of about 8 main meals, lunch/dinner type then i have 24 eggs which makes 5 breakfasts at 5 eggs per day scrambled. Then id get say 2 large rump steaks (low quality ones, ive got this kick ass tenderizer full of banned items like msg that makes any steak taste like butter!) veg and other bits and the final meals would either be cheats (meals out, the odd shish kebab (not to be confused with DONER kebab!)) thats about my week. Your weekly shop looks like my average snack lol!

What i ate yesterday

Woke up had shake 60g unflavoured whey 50g fine oats
5 cups coffee (im addicted what can i say)
lunch 2 med chicken breasts grilled with serving of veg (chargrill seasoned yum)
Mid afternoon shake 60g protein
Dinner 350g steak peas boiled pots (because im not cutting)
mid evening Whey shake 60g protein (sometimes i have a large pot of natural yoghurt)
Pre bed Whey and casein shake

Thats a pretty usual day for me, cant seem to get enough carbs in but then i try to have carb up days where i eat baguettes and such or eggs on toast etc

I'm a student :( So I can't afford decent food or mad amounts of it :(

I didn't include (which I do have): Protein shakes as it's from MP, and nuts or egg due to fat content.. For me I had 1 tin of tuna per meal so thats 8 meals..

edit: also good oil lasts a few weeks or so :p

Last edited:
Quorn baby, quorn! It's awesome as a protein source and very low in saturated fat. Perfect for a stir fry, and it actually tastes really good! I've always got a few bags in the freezer and it means you don't have to have chicken for lunch and dinner everyday!! :o

Yeah I don't mind a piece of Quorn every so often :)

Quorn 'chicken' pieces and some cous cous is nice ;)

Although the cous cous is something i probably should avoid now no doubt :p

I am quite new to training but I did hear it mentioned somewhere that a protein:carb ratio of 1:2 was optimal for growth? There seems to be a bias towards protein intake here, though?

Ultra...is that full eggs? Ive always been a bit wary about eating two many egg yolks from what Ive read. I also eat a lot of boiled eggs...3-4day...but tend just to eat two yolks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom