For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
new toy!

sdc10547fw0.jpg

Sorry about your neck!

Where did you get the trap bar? Also how much? ta!

I like the bigger stronger faster documentary pushers "you must watch it, it will change your entire opinion on performance enhancing drugs". No it didn't change my opinion just made me think how **** poor my idles were growing up are:(!

I've seen this one before. It's more than likely just your forearms rubbing on your clothes i.e. Tracksuit bottoms.

Yep, I had this and couldn't work out what it was... Then the next time i was deadlifting I noticed my forarms just catching on the seam on the outside of my trackies:D 24 reps in total meant sore forarms:(

I have been attending the gym for 3 weeks now and I am enjoying it very much. Doing Cardio, Resistence and some free weights and I am starting to see a difference in my body and also my health.

I do not want to look like a chimney stack, I just want to be a lean, mean healthy machine. Am I right in thinking that when doing weights, there should be at leat a 48hr rest for the muscle to repair?

I have been attending the gym for 3 weeks now and I am enjoying it very much. Doing Cardio, Resistence and some free weights and I am starting to see a difference in my body and also my health.

I do not want to look like a chimney stack, I just want to be a lean, mean healthy machine. Am I right in thinking that when doing weights, there should be at leat a 48hr rest for the muscle to repair?

Depends if you intend on working the same muscle group really.

On the steroid topic, I was having a good session on ESNPRO this morning and found a link to this article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_5_23/ai_n14706837

Good read.

yeah good article. In my opinion however, it is important to keep steroid use and ABUSE seperate. In many cases supplemental hormone support is linked with anti ageing and improved health in later life. And although studies have never been conducted there has never been any evidence to suggest that moderate usage has any negative long term side effects.

I think, inherently, bodybuilding is an unhealthy persuit. Very high caloric intakes and a large amount of known health risk factors like red meats coupled with large stresses being repeatedly placed on the body does not amount to the best lifespan potential. People forget that the human being is only designed to live around 50 years, you dont have to go back more than 100 years to see that (in 1900 the average lifespan of a US citizen was 49).

Its like the old saying, "the light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long". Someone pushing their physical limits every day and succeeding will burn so very very brightly. But on the other hand mr average office worker with average job a and average family b, never excelling, never pushing, never challenging himself, will probably outlive most bodybuilders. But what value is there in leading the life of the grey man? Can A life in obscurity be considered a life at all? A life without merit or achievment, even the accomplishment of self set arbitrary goals like lifting weights? Not in my eyes.

For me, id like to think that i'll live to a good old age, but i dont want that to be at the expense of acheiving my shorter term goals. I dont want to live my life constantly mollycoddling myself for fear of future events that may or may not come to pass. Theres a percentage chance that mine, or anyone elses, use of drugs may result in premature illness and even death over the next 30-50 years of my life. But in that time im likely to cover over a million miles on british roads by car. I'm willing to bet my hat, coat and even my boots that the odds on me dying in a car crash are a lot higher than my risk from steroid use, and frankly im not going to be avoiding the roads so why should i avoid doing what i want to be strong, healthy and happy, and as the song goes, Whatever will be will be.

yeah good article. In my opinion however, it is important to keep steroid use and ABUSE seperate.

Well said. Personally I wouldn't do them because I'm too scared of something going wrong even if I had taken all precautions, but if you are careful with them, understand the risks and know what you are doing then I don't see any problem with it.

This is worth a listen as well: "An interview with Mike Matarazzo by Ron Harris."

People forget that the human being is only designed to live around 50 years, you dont have to go back more than 100 years to see that (in 1900 the average lifespan of a US citizen was 49).
hmm i think that was more to do with diseases and the lack of medical supplies available for commoners rather than the human bodies natural lifespan

hmm i think that was more to do with diseases and the lack of medical supplies available for commoners rather than the human bodies natural lifespan

huh? M8 thats my damn point! Without medical intervention, which is technically unnatural - as unnatural as steroids anyway - then people wouldnt live half as long as they do.

yeah good article. In my opinion however, it is important to keep steroid use and ABUSE seperate. In many cases supplemental hormone support is linked with anti ageing and improved health in later life. And although studies have never been conducted there has never been any evidence to suggest that moderate usage has any negative long term side effects.

I think, inherently, bodybuilding is an unhealthy persuit. Very high caloric intakes and a large amount of known health risk factors like red meats coupled with large stresses being repeatedly placed on the body does not amount to the best lifespan potential. People forget that the human being is only designed to live around 50 years, you dont have to go back more than 100 years to see that (in 1900 the average lifespan of a US citizen was 49).

Its like the old saying, "the light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long". Someone pushing their physical limits every day and succeeding will burn so very very brightly. But on the other hand mr average office worker with average job a and average family b, never excelling, never pushing, never challenging himself, will probably outlive most bodybuilders. But what value is there in leading the life of the grey man? Can A life in obscurity be considered a life at all? A life without merit or achievment, even the accomplishment of self set arbitrary goals like lifting weights? Not in my eyes.

For me, id like to think that i'll live to a good old age, but i dont want that to be at the expense of acheiving my shorter term goals. I dont want to live my life constantly mollycoddling myself for fear of future events that may or may not come to pass. Theres a percentage chance that mine, or anyone elses, use of drugs may result in premature illness and even death over the next 30-50 years of my life. But in that time im likely to cover over a million miles on british roads by car. I'm willing to bet my hat, coat and even my boots that the odds on me dying in a car crash are a lot higher than my risk from steroid use, and frankly im not going to be avoiding the roads so why should i avoid doing what i want to be strong, healthy and happy, and as the song goes, Whatever will be will be.
In 1900 *everybody* smoked, (including children!) very heavily. Doctors actually prescribed particular brands of cigarettes for various ailments. Particularly if you had a cough.

Life spans were shoter in yesteryear because of our own negative influence. Bristol had an average life expectancy of a mere 21 years and 3 months during the industrial revolution, because of all the coal burning industry in the area, coupled with our advancements in medication etc.

So in short, it is not that easy to compare.

As for "strong, healthy, happy".. is it impossible for you to be any/all of those without steroids? Why do you think it necessary to take them? You commented before about how you want to have the "Dutch Look" (Arnie in Predator) .. why? He took all manners of 'roids to get his physique, which even in Predator is something extraordinary (the very fact he was hired for the job tells you this, too) .. so really, want you want is the body of someone who uses 'roids. Yes, he worked very hard, as do you, but I want to know why do you (and many others out there) want a body that is *only* achievable with the use of steroids (I'm not negating the hardwork put in)?

To take it even further, let's say Arnie, Stallon, Hogan, and every other 'famous physique' that is juiced did not take them, but performed the same roles in the lime light, still worked out just as hard in the gym, but wouldn't be as big simply because of no roids.. would any where near as many people who do want/take steroids, do so? I highly doubt it.

p.s. Morba - this is what the opinion of someone who thinks people who 'need' steroids is, and is why we think roid users are misguided. The 'necessity' to use them just isn't clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom