• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For those who dislike nvidia, why do you keep buying nvidia and not amd?

Oh common man. Nvidia have done that and way worse. What do we do, buy Intel? :cry:

I agree with some stuff you say, but comments like that make me think maybe the guys saying rollo may have a point ;)
They did in the past. Nowadays most if not all nvidia games run extremely well on amd hardware. Even cyberpunk - the prime nvidia sponsored game - runs better on AMD if you exclude RT. All the games that have "vram issues" are right on this page, sponsored by amd.. Forswoken / TLOU / RE4 / FC6 / Godfall. The spectacularly jaw dropping great looking Plague Tale gets by with 4.5gb of VRAM at 4k ultra.

Coincidence?

Even boundary, supposed to have DLSS support, dropped it when they got sponsored by AMD. That's why I refuse to buy AMD, until they start acting like human beings and for my benefit.

I need the cuda cores Nvidia offers on their gpus, so I'm basically locked into Nvidia for the foreseeable future. If not for that I'd still go with a 4090 over what AMD offers but if they had equal performance and a lower price point at that range I'd go AMD if the CUDA situation wasn't of such importance for my use case.

I'm in the same boat sadly regarding CUDA needed for work apps. For gaming I could care less if it was Nvidia, AMD or intel. Sadly CUDA has many of us that buy gpus for work mostly and some gaming, means Nvidia.

In the past I didn't care who made the graphics card as I owned them all back then, 3DFX,Matrox,ATI,Nvidia, etc

I don't think TLOU is a proper "technical" sponsorships tbf, like the way FC 6, godfall, callisto protocol were 100% amd technical sponsorships. Uncharted, TLOU are purely just partnerships to sell more copies of a game, nothing more, also, if they were 100% under amd, dlss etc. would have been removed from TLOU and uncharted ;) Also, on their "featured page", they have nvidia sponsored/neutral games so wouldn't pay much attention to that page of theirs, it simply lists games which is using their tech.

Good insight in here so far, essentially seems that it is amd who need to do better and restore peoples faith in them rather than it being a nvidia problem then?

Last edited:
Please don't derail this thread, keep it civil
lGuUiQn.gif

Just making sure you don't go down that road soon as you have been doing for days, just to get replies.. so nipping it in the bud now before you derail this thread as you have done with every thread so far. ;)

Now back to the topic and good morning all. :)

@ Mods: Sorry had to be done before he destroys this thread too, also would like to see this thread live as it has some good questions and replies in it that actually matter in the real world and not some fantasy in someone's head that has been trolling since he became a member on this forum, from the cpu section to the gpu section as many will know.

Yesterdays posts from him were just out to annoy the people that replied to him and to waste their time replying.. that's why the "elaborate" and "can you be more specific" gifs are there because this is his famous lines to waste peoples time replying to him and in the end of the conversation with him he replies "whatever" and moves on to troll someone else.

Last edited:
At the time of buying my 3080 FE it was a combination of reasons:
- It was best value for money card for my needs (3D CAD work)
- I need a stable card and drivers/software
- Availability of GPUs at the time

For this type of question the ideal respondies would be from the members who have a handful of posts and are only active when team green are launching a new product.

If we're being honest with ourselves we know why, for the causals mentioned above its brand name/recognition, for the diehard enthusiasts they just want the fastest hardware available and Nvidia are the only ones who offer a no compromise solution. Smart buyers are few and far between unfortunately.

It doesn't help all the leading tech YouTubers all use the same brands when building Halo PC's - Intel, Asus and Nvidia the unholy Triumvirate of PC tech firms.

Last edited:
Lets keep all the nvidia vs amd BS out so no baiting/trolling at all and keep purely to the thread title question.

Context:

Genuinely find this fascinating lately, the amount of threads that just end up with nvidia bashing is crazy now i.e. "rt/rtx is ****", "dlss is fake/****", "frame generation is ****/fake", "planned obsolescence", "low vram", "nvidia ripping you off", this is all I see in threads recently especially around vram......

So question is....

Why do people keep buying nvidia and not amd? AMD provide:

- slightly cheaper gpus
- larger vram pool than the nvidia competing gpus
- match/beat nvidia competing gpus in raster

Yet, the people who keep complaining about nvidia practices/products don't show their support by buying AMD?

That is actually not always true. Nvidia in recent years has had the card with the largest VRAM, be it a Titan or a 90 class . It's this gen so far AMD and Nvidia has 24GB on their current top cards on the market, we have to wait and see what a 4090ti will have and if AMD refreshes these current cards with 24GB with more VRAM too.

But I do know what you mean by AMD normally giving more VRAM on cards as they normally do on the mid/lower end cards, but top end cards normally Nvidia has them, but we are talking Titans here normally and now the 90 class..

Good insight in here so far, essentially seems that it is amd who need to do better and restore peoples faith in them rather than it being a nvidia problem then?

Yep.

However there is also an Nvidia problem too. They are skimping on vram for cards they want to charge £600 and £800 for. But not just that, their pricing in general is atrocious this gen.

For this type of question the ideal respondies would be from the members who have a handful of posts and are only active when team green are launching a new product.

If we're being honest with ourselves we know why, for the causals mentioned above its brand name/recognition, for the diehard enthusiasts they just want the fastest hardware available and Nvidia are the only ones who offer a no compromise solution. Smart buyers are few and far between unfortunately.

It doesn't help all the leading tech YouTubers all use the same brands when building Halo PC's - Intel, Asus and Nvidia the unholy Triumvirate of PC tech firms.

Yeah I am kind of hoping we will get responses from them.

I think a large part of it is simply because whether we like it or not, nvidia is the better "overall" product (and by that I mean the whole package) thus they can command a premium and get away with questionable tactics and those ones who constantly complain about nvidia simply just want their products for cheaper as they don't see amd as being a viable option especially when amd are charging in the same tier, we have had a few say this but that was a long time ago and I don't think those members are around or rather as active these days. But then again as per the point in OP, according to those people, amd is just as good as nvidia or better in said areas so why keep going for nvidia when amd according to them are "technically" viable/on par........ that is the confusing part :confused:

That is actually not always true. Nvidia in recent years has had the card with the largest VRAM, be it a Titan or a 90 class . It's this gen so far AMD and Nvidia has 24GB on their current top cards on the market, we have to wait and see what a 4090ti will have and if AMD refreshes these current cards with 24GB with more VRAM too.

But I do know what you mean by AMD normally giving more VRAM on cards as they normally do on the mid/lower end cards, but top end cards normally Nvidia has them, but we are talking Titans here normally and now the 90 class..

Last time I remember nvidia being in the lead with vram was the 980ti vs fury x. But yeah I'm not really referring to titan level gpus as they are/were the halo products.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

I think that's an apt summary, yes. AMD need to do more than compete, they need to give us an offer we simply can't refuse, otherwise any rise in the market will be slower and demand that no mistakes are made.

I bought Nvidia because of EVGA, trusted company with great RMA process. With them now gone will go back to AMD when build new system in the summer. Last time I bought AMD GPU was 2006. Out of interest will also go AMD CPU, have never gone with them in all my years building PCs, always been Intel.

I preferred ATi / AMD for a long time because back in the day the nVidia desktop cards (MX2 MX4) were a blurry washed out mess on 2D / the desktop. I never tried a gaming nVidia card until I got an 8800 GTX which was brilliant. I've had problems with both sets of drivers but usually just in specific situations. Sometimes it gets patched and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm disappointed that AMD don't have cards that compete with the halo nVidia cards but let's be honest about the amount of investment the two companies can put into those products.

As I said in another thread the nVidia shenaningans over the years put me off them as a company. Same with Intel. If I'm forced to upgrade at a point in time where I have to buy something from a company I don't like I'll usually do it but since I rarely buy a AAA game within 2-3 years of its release these days it hasn't been too much of a problem for me. Even if you're interested in a game there's never a reason to pre-order and you're always better off waiting for the patches and at least the first price cut. :P

I upgraded to AM5 from my Z87 and the most recent card I bought is a 6700XT because it was significantly cheaper than the competition and it's nicely faster than my 1080Ti in the few games I play where that matters. The AMD driver UI is streets ahead of nVidia and recording games is equally easy. Making sure you can record all the relevant chat was far easier on AMD. Making me sign into an account for GeForce experience was always going to niggle.

So on the whole I'd prefer AMD to nVidia but as the saying goes I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. :)

"why do you keep buying nvidia and not amd?"
that is easy for me, 3D Modeling and Gaming dev sector has better support with Nvidia in the industry. if AMD tech was more widely adopted and supported i would consider switching. but can't with the way it is. shame.

Last edited:
Bought lots of both over the years, but with AMD had more issues - always end up fettling and workarounds to get AMD to work properly. Probably not the case as much today, but Nvidia does usually just run better out of the box.

DLSS 3 is much better than any FSR, RT is better to have than not have if a game has implemented it well and yo get lots of visual from it. Frame Generation.

Whilst NV cards even pure rester are better than AMD, 2 technologies are better on NV and one only exists on NV. Technologies that will give legs to your card when it starts to age. NV card will age better than an AMD card due to it's better 'crutch' technologies.

If AMD caught up and offered something as good then I'd be tempted, but AMD's pricing for waht you get is as steep as NV's without the technologies that will give the card legs when the card is getting on a bit.

AMD for a gamer I think make the best CPU's for the £££

Don’t care about the brand, only what’s best in my current price range. And by that i mean what is exciting. Nothing exciting about having more frames at higher res. So obviously Nvidia has been my only choice since 2xxx series. Rt is exciting, dlss is exciting. Amd have been lagging behind on both tech and quality of that tech.

TLDR : Amd has no exciting tech with their hardware so currently im choosing Nvidia

Back
Top Bottom