Force India

Soldato
I wonder if there was any contest from these teams when force india said they were going to change their name earlier in the year due to not having many Indian backers.

Man of Honour
OP
Staff change at The Team Formerly Known As Force India. (TTFKAFI)
Bob Fernley has left the team. Apparently was told last week by Daddy Stroll that he wasn't going to be part of the teams management. Otmar Szafnauer is currently in charge.

Also looks like they may be trying to get TTFKAFI in at Spa as a new entrant. Which would cause them to lose all their points and any claim to any prize money owed.

Half expecting to see Stroll in TTFKAFI car in Monza, Kubica taking his seat in the Williams and Ocon out on his butt.

Transmission breaker
Don
I think this naming might be a ploy to help them argue the team is the same legally for the purposes of prize money allocation later on.
I think there is also a rule allowing a title sponsor part of the name to be changed more easily mod season

Soldato
The team assets have been bought and a new racing team formed and given an immediate entry. This is why they had to go into administration, do the assets could be sold.
The Indian banks have a claim on the holding company which itself has a right to the points and prize money.

If the assets had stayed with the right to prize money and points the whole lot would have been liquidated .

Hence new name zero points and zero prize money.

For once the F1 world has done what appears to be the right thing.

Don
This. Why leave Force India in there.
Andi.

I think this naming might be a ploy to help them argue the team is the same legally for the purposes of prize money allocation later on.
I think there is also a rule allowing a title sponsor part of the name to be changed more easily mod season
This is the only reason that makes any sense

JRS

JRS

Soldato
This. Why leave Force India in there.
Andi.

Because you can't change the chassis name mid-season as the car was homologated under that name. If they'd changed that then they'd be ineligible for the constructors' championship points with that car. So the team owner bit of the name has gone from Sahara to Racing Point, but the chassis name bit has to stay as Force India until they build a new car for next season and can register a name change in time.

***edit***

Mat Coch on SpeedCafe said:
Force India’s future has finally been resolved after the FIA agreed to allow the team to re-enter the Formula 1 world championship under a new entry.

The team’s immediate future was unclear following revelations the Lawrence Stroll-led consortium which was initially believed to have purchased the team had in fact only bought the team’s assets.

It created the unusual situation where the original team, Force India Formula One Team Limited, held the rights to compete in the championship and a new company, Racing Point, in possession of all the Formula 1 team’s assets.

The FIA has since confirmed that it has accepted a new entry from Racing Point Force India, due to the fact the Force India Formula One Team Limited was in breach of Article 8.2 of the sporting regulations, which states that teams should participate in every event.

As the team was not able to do that, but the required guarantees could be met by Racing Point Force India, the FIA has accepted the mid-season entry of the ‘new’ team.

However the new entry comes with a catch, as since it is regarded as a new team into the championship it will not have ‘Force India’s’ points constructors’ championship.

A quirk of the process though means that, as the car has been homologated as a ‘Force India’, the new team must include that in its name in order to satisfy the regulations surrounding the team being a constructor, and therefore be eligible for constructors’ points.

As a result, the ‘all-new’ Racing Point Force India squad enters the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend without a point to its name, which neatly sidesteps problems relating to prize money eligibility, though the new team will not be eligible for the money the previous entry would have been entitled to.

From here. Emphasis is my own.

Soldato
I think the name thing is something to do with the entry, people have pointed out that manor marussia and spyker midland did similar things.

It may be that the title sponsor name can change but not the team name. If it takes over an entry mid season.

I'm pretty sure the points and prize money are gone, whether there's some other deal behind the scenes is another matter.

Back
Top Bottom