Forgot how bad job searching was :(

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
It is quite funny and weird.

Last year after I graduated, I started looking for a job about August, and I was getting calls nearly every day to come in for interviews, quite a few of them I had to reject!

I decided to not get a job and go travelling, came back in January. Was looking 4 weeks before I managed to get my first interview, luckily they loved me and I got the job! They said 300 people had applied :eek: Its a basic it support job for £17k...

And about 1 month ago my company had to recruit again for my exact same position as someone else was leaving...they recruited a guy...and said now 1000 people had applied :eek:

Soldato
Out of interest, for all the graduates I'd like to know what they would consider to be an 'acceptable' starting salary for their first job after uni. By which I mean, not the salary you want, or feel you are entitled to, but the level at which you would accept an offer.

Personally I'm after a bare minimum of £16k, although to take something at that wage I'd need to be assured that there were opportunities to advance quickly, and that the company was going in the right direction. I wouldn't take that for a dead end job, or for something I don't enjoy.

Associate
It is quite funny and weird.

Last year after I graduated, I started looking for a job about August, and I was getting calls nearly every day to come in for interviews, quite a few of them I had to reject!

I decided to not get a job and go travelling, came back in January. Was looking 4 weeks before I managed to get my first interview, luckily they loved me and I got the job! They said 300 people had applied :eek: Its a basic it support job for £17k...

And about 1 month ago my company had to recruit again for my exact same position as someone else was leaving...they recruited a guy...and said now 1000 people had applied :eek:

I left uni in 2006 and before i finished my course i lined up 6 interviews within a month (I only applied for these 6 jobs and all offered interview) I went to the first got offered 18k and the second two days later offered me 22k) I think the times of getting jobs so easily has long gone:(

Borich

Caporegime
OP
oh...And what other sites can people recommend? Ones that are more 'non' agency based...

I'm actively on Monster, CWjobs and Reed...However with CWjobs im also on a few other sites I believe.

Thanks all :)

Soldato
i find the not knowing whats going on after you've applied to be torturous, i dont like not being in control of my destiny i guess

Caporegime
OP
Thanks. :) I don't think you mentioned already, what was your recent job involving?

The one I started in March was for a LoudSpeaker company, building and testing professional loudspeakers basically :)..Shame, cause the company is good theoretically.

i find the not knowing whats going on after you've applied to be torturous, i dont like not being in control of my destiny i guess

Heh, it is bad :) It's when you don't even get a short email saying "no" just to confirm :p

Associate
Doing what exactly?

THROWING TEH BEDIES INTO TEH FLAMEZ

No seriously I go out to the cemetary and database the names. Theres not a lot of data on who is in which grave before 1978ish.
And paperwork for dead people aswell.

It's not bad actually, just occasionaly sad when you see graves for people like 12yrs old and stuff............

EDIT:Thread stopper lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
oh...And what other sites can people recommend? Ones that are more 'non' agency based...

I'm actively on Monster, CWjobs and Reed...However with CWjobs im also on a few other sites I believe.

Thanks all :)

Have a gander on Milkround; you can't "sign-up" for them, as it were, but they have a lot of good jobs on there.

Really good as they tell you what company you're applying for, unlike a lot of websites, so you can tailor your application.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been looking for about 2months after redundancy. I have no quals but i worked my way up with one company over 6 1/2 years. Because no companies are recruiting for positions that i previously worked in i'm stuffed. I'm on the dole and it's so depressing, i feel like giving up tbh.

I have some money from my redundancy left but my outgoings are nearly 600 a month so i have a couple of months left before i'm screwed. My relationship is sufering too because i can't do anything so it's just a complete load of ****. If you have a job, no matter how pants, think yourself lucky cos it's not a nice feeling goin to the job centre with the drunks and constantly being rejected or unacknowledged by employers :(

Soldato
In this current climate I believe its more of who you know in order to secure a job at the moment.

I spent nearly 6 months looking for work and sent hundreds of applications off only to get 3 interviews.

It was my wife asking at her company if there was any work and I ended up landing a job setting up appointments for hearing asessments. Mundane call center work but its better than dipping into my savings and its a job at the end of the day. Pickers can't be choosers even if its a job at 14k a year.

Caporegime
OP
In this current climate I believe its more of who you know in order to secure a job at the moment.

I spent nearly 6 months looking for work and sent hundreds of applications off only to get 3 interviews.

It was my wife asking at her company if there was any work and I ended up landing a job setting up appointments for hearing asessments. Mundane call center work but its better than dipping into my savings and its a job at the end of the day. Pickers can't be choosers even if its a job at 14k a year.

It's looking like I literally am going to have to take anything...

Problem is There aren't many sites that list those types of jobs =/...

Back
Top Bottom