Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Again? Well, at least you had something in the interim, and your parents to fall back on...

You'll do fine mate, you have better experience than me - just plug away and seek out every possible avenue.

Associate
In all honesty I think I envy most of you in terms of job searching.

In order to get a job (just after graduating) in the field I want to do I have to:

-Write a CV and Cover Letter.
-Fill in an online form often with several annoying competency based essay questions.
-Online numerical and verbal reasoning tests
-Telephone Interview involving competency based questions, technical questions which can only really be answered with actual experience in the field and my opinion (stupid open ended questions) could be done to improve the current situation in the applied field.
-Assessment centre involving more of the same interviews, mock meetings, e-tray exercises, presentations and role play scenarios.

And its possible to get a rejection notice at the end of any stages in that list. So getting up to the assessment centre then getting a rejection is a BIG pain in the backside.

What happened to the good ol CV and interview days? lol

Soldato
In all honesty I think I envy most of you in terms of job searching.

In order to get a job (just after graduating) in the field I want to do I have to:

-Write a CV and Cover Letter.
-Fill in an online form often with several annoying competency based essay questions.
-Online numerical and verbal reasoning tests
-Telephone Interview involving competency based questions, technical questions which can only really be answered with actual experience in the field and my opinion (stupid open ended questions) could be done to improve the current situation in the applied field.
-Assessment centre involving more of the same interviews, mock meetings, e-tray exercises, presentations and role play scenarios.

And its possible to get a rejection notice at the end of any stages in that list. So getting up to the assessment centre then getting a rejection is a BIG pain in the backside.

Been there. A lot of companies use those now, unfortunately.

Soldato
Im in, I can walk on stilts, and have 11 years experience of looking after children. :p

Excellent; paedobear circus it is!

Incidentally, what sort of jobs are you guys going for? Any websites you can suggest? I've been using the Guardian Jobs page and Target Jobs more than anything...

Soldato
I hear ya man. I've been out of work for urm, over six months now and well, to say I'd like to be working is a little of an understatement. I honestly couldn't tell you the amount of applications I've sent off. I think out of all of them I've heard back from a total of three companies.

One thing I will say though, is do not bother with the agencies online. Companies like Reed et al. simply do not seem to do anything if you apply online. Personally I found Monster a little rubbish, but I think I'll have to remake my profile again soon. I'm pretty sure someone tried to get me to help them tax-evade last time.

I found monster the best for exposure to agencies. It takes about 2 weeks of being active before you start showing up on their active user lists and then they start phoning you. You do have to have your CV set to publicly visible. and yeah I also found their list of jobs pretty poor.

MW

Man of Honour
Excellent; paedobear circus it is!

Incidentally, what sort of jobs are you guys going for? Any websites you can suggest? I've been using the Guardian Jobs page and Target Jobs more than anything...

it all depends what job your going for. I find the best way is through companies websites. So dig out yellow pages and find any company that you think will have jobs in you area then look on there website.

Soldato
Gone are the days when you'd look on Cwjobs one day...then a day or 2 later, the jobs you were looking at are on page 5.
The further we go in this recession, the higher and higher the qualification and experience demands are from employers are. I saw one job the other day, titled 'entry job/ junior', was for 20kish...CCNA must be obtained...CCNP desirable:eek:. Now that BT are cutting back on even more staff...were just sliding further and further down the ladder. :(

Soldato
Gone are the days when you'd look on Cwjobs one day...then a day or 2 later, the jobs you were looking at are on page 5.
The further we go in this recession, the higher and higher the qualification and experience demands are from employers are. I saw one job the other day, titled 'entry job/ junior', was for 20kish...CCNA must be obtained...CCNP desirable:eek:. Now that BT are cutting back on even more staff...were just sliding further and further down the ladder. :(

Pfft, around here you need a degree just to have a good shot at some office jobs :rolleyes:

As for wages, they've fallen tremendously, its rare to see a job I can realistically obtain paying above £20k. So much for London jobs being better paid...

Soldato
On the plus side I thought I was the only one getting only a single interview for every couple of hundred applications sent - always nice to know that you're not alone :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Also looking for a new job (currently in employment though), doesn't seem to be much out there though! Saying that, I've only been looking on the Job Centre Plus website, are any other websites highly rated?

If it's It related CWjobs is okay normally, I had a fair amount of interviews with them previously.

Then theres Reed.co.uk as mentioned, and obviously Monster, totaljobs...Theres loads...but meh :(

One thing I will say though, is do not bother with the agencies online. Companies like Reed et al. simply do not seem to do anything if you apply online. Personally I found Monster a little rubbish, but I think I'll have to remake my profile again soon. I'm pretty sure someone tried to get me to help them tax-evade last time.

Most agenceys I've dealt with from whatever site just seem to have no clue what soever they are actually reading on you're CV..."So you did what? 1st line support at you're previous company then?"...Where the hell does it say I did 1st line support on my CV!!! ARRRGGH! :p

I've been on Monster for years now, constantly re-saving my profile and what not.

Im out of work as of Thursday next week, haven't been able to find anything yet, and am not looking forward to all of this.

Worst bit is I cant claim job seekers while im looking, because I have resigned from my job - bit of a long story, mainly due to health reasons - so I cant claim job seekers allowance for 6 months because I have put myself out of a job.
:(

Really? Weird =/...I kinda left and kinda didn't...Basically I couldn't carry on with my job because of the tinnitus intervening with certain thing's we did, so it was a joint decision basically...I have a letter for it stating the reasons etc.

I was on the doll for just 2 weeks earlier this year, and that was enough! I really can't hack it, having to go in every two weeks to show them some silly piece of card that you have filled in =/.

Again? Well, at least you had something in the interim, and your parents to fall back on...

You'll do fine mate, you have better experience than me - just plug away and seek out every possible avenue.

Hah! Hi man, yep, unemployed once again :) Not redundancy this time though.

I'm trying believe me matey, it's just seems so pointless rite now...I mean I have experience...But employers want experience AND qualifications nowadays :( Which I don't have sadly.

Ah well, happy face! :D

Man of Honour

I understand what you are saying, but personally I'd be much more confident going for such roles because if there's an assessment centre, it actually gives me an opportunity to demonstrate my abilities as opposed to having to field random questions in an interview all the while trying to sell myself (something I'm not great at). If I failed an assessment I'd hold my hands up and say, OK, fair enough.

Out of interest, for all the graduates I'd like to know what they would consider to be an 'acceptable' starting salary for their first job after uni. By which I mean, not the salary you want, or feel you are entitled to, but the level at which you would accept an offer.

Associate

its all cuts in the public sector, funny thing is I work in planning and we are understaffed due to volume of work coming in. It seems that the recession has skipped North Kent! lol

Borich

Soldato
Hah! Hi man, yep, unemployed once again :) Not redundancy this time though.

I'm trying believe me matey, it's just seems so pointless rite now...I mean I have experience...But employers want experience AND qualifications nowadays :( Which I don't have sadly.

Ah well, happy face! :D

Well, only 2 more months till the academic year begins...:p

Back
Top Bottom