Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
Im out of work as of Thursday next week, haven't been able to find anything yet, and am not looking forward to all of this.

Worst bit is I cant claim job seekers while im looking, because I have resigned from my job - bit of a long story, mainly due to health reasons - so I cant claim job seekers allowance for 6 months because I have put myself out of a job.
:(

i left my job, then 3-4 days later im on jobseekers:confused:

Soldato
It's looking like I literally am going to have to take anything...

Problem is There aren't many sites that list those types of jobs =/...

Too true.

When I actually got the job, I spoke with the Call Center Manager and she told me that they prefer to hire direct temps from staff friends/relatives as opposed to agency staff as they have to pay more per hour.

They pay me £7.50ph and an agency £12.00 for staff.

Soldato
Yup, bloody awful, I'm desperate to work now but out of the 100's of jobs I've applied for I have only heard back from a handful. Not a lot you can do, I'm fairly lucky as I have a position to start my degree at Uni in September and just "about" have the cash to tide me over plus with signing on.

Soldato
I'll have to look into it again then, because thats what I was told when I originally said I was leaving my job.

IIRC you get Jobseekers but at a reduced rate if you leave your job. You will initially get full Jobseekers until they actually get the information back from your employer confirming you left.

Soldato
Ive been out of work for about a month and a half. Im 50% glad to have all this freetime and do what i want. But the other 50% of me wants to get back into work, im patient enough but some days its a bit annoying.

Man of Honour
Out of interest, for all the graduates I'd like to know what they would consider to be an 'acceptable' starting salary for their first job after uni. By which I mean, not the salary you want, or feel you are entitled to, but the level at which you would accept an offer.

15-16K

But it's the future prospects that are much more important for me when considering a job.

Soldato
anyone know any good sites for looking, im finding all the same crappy jobs, jobcentre plus is crap, same jobs as always on there.

im looking for drivers mate, warehouse worker, removals etc - post your linkies plz!

Soldato
There's no shame in claiming if you genuinely need it, and are seriously looking for work.

I signed on whilst doing 7 hours a week,it meant an extra few quid every few weeks which is a lot for me really. I then got two jobs(one starting 27th july and one which I am doing already) but didn't get anything from the dole when i signed on. On the other hand if i wasn't working 7 hours and wanted to sit and smoke weed all day and do nothing i could get £100 every two weeks :confused:

Soldato
I signed on whilst doing 7 hours a week,it meant an extra few quid every few weeks which is a lot for me really. I then got two jobs(one starting 27th july and one which I am doing already) but didn't get anything from the dole when i signed on. On the other hand if i wasn't working 7 hours and wanted to sit and smoke weed all day and do nothing i could get £100 every two weeks :confused:

if you cant beat em.....

I signed on last week, applied for around 50 jobs I think so far, heard back from less than 5, all unsuccessful. Had one interview with one of them street fundraising things (8.50 an hour though) but was always a long shot and didnt really want to do that.

Applied for a job in brazil on a wind farm doing energy yield that I really really really wanna get but I doubt I will. Rang them up last week but no reply, gonna email them in the morning and ask again.

Permabanned
You can't be picky where you work now especially as the kids from school/college are taking all the jobs up . .

Even if its flipping burgers or sweeping roads,its still money.

Soldato
I'll have to look into it again then, because thats what I was told when I originally said I was leaving my job.

thats what they tell you but if you need the money you can definitely get it

go speak to citizens advice and they should tell you what you need to do.

Caporegime
OP
No joy yet my end...Applied for a Stores person role and got told I was too qualified.

On the plus side I did go in to have a chat with the agency guy and signed up with them so maybe that will give me some more options...

Associate
Hi guys. For anyone interested the following jobs were sent to me this morning. Some of you might have already received the notifications -

Service Desk Analyst - 1st/2nd Line Support - Finance - London
Salary £30000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent benefits and bonuses
Location United Kingdom,City of London
Job Type Permanent
Date Posted 08-Jul-2009 19:04

Skills required: IT Service desk experience, Windows Desktop

I am seeking a talented Service Desk Analyst to provide 1st and 2nd line helpdesk support in a rapidly expanding financial environment. My client is one of largest financial software houses in London mainly working with in the credit derivatives market.

The candidate must have:
*IT service desk experience in Windows Desktop
*Related degree

TCP/IP networking knowledge and skills with Windows Server, BES, Blackberry Handhelds and VOIP would also be advantageous for this role. My client would also be keen to look at candidates who are ITIL foundation holders.

Your role will involve:
*Providing 1st/2nd line support in a rapid market
*Working through ticket system and telephone matters
*Working on Window environment and Office problems

This is an excellent role for a desk engineer seeking a fulfilling and exciting career whilst gaining finance exposure. My client will offer a competitive salary plus benefits and bonuses.
Please call Matthew on 0207 997 1083 or send your CV to [email protected] for further information.

Aston Carter Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Advertiser Aston Carter
Contact Name Matthew Way
Telephone 0207 997 1083
Reference wed08-3
Apply

Associate
Desktop Support – Trading Floor/Front Office – Leading Investment Bank
Salary 30-35k + benefits + bonus
Location London
Job Type Permanent
Date Posted 08-Jul-2009 12:41
Apply
Desktop Support – Trading Floor/Front Office – Leading Investment Bank

A leading Investment Bank requires a Desktop support analyst to join the fast paced trading environment. You will be responsible for desktop support across the front office, which will include physical servers, operating systems (Windows and Linux), Network Infrastructure and data centres. You will be involved in Market Data installation and support, market data invoicing and contracts liaison and configuring and supporting remote access devises. You will gain exposure to a broad range of technologies and will provide support for all IT hardware/software during trading hours.

This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is presently in or would like to move into a trade floor environment and gain front office exposure.

Requirements:
- Experience as a Support Analyst in the finance sector
- Front office/Trade floor experience (preferable)
- Knowledge of MS Office, Market Data and XP operating systems
- Experience with Blackberry configuration and support

If you feel this may suit what you are looking for, please apply directly for immediate consideration or call Leila Esfahani on 0207 337 2323 for more information.

(Orgtel Ltd acts as an Employment Agency and an Employment Business)
Advertiser Orgtel Communications
Contact Name Leila Esfahani
Telephone 020 7337 2323
Reference 975220

Soldato
I don't understand how people can live off jobseekers. The jobseekers allowance wouldn't even cover HALF of what I'm paying in rent alone. Let alone bills and food. How do people do it?

Anyway, I know jobhunting sucks - I had to do it this time last year. Happily I was able to live at my parent's place while doing that. I did have the incomparable pleasure of turning down 2 job offers.

Associate
Ooo, London wage mark up. In Scotland this job would be worth maybe £22k...

Hi guys. For anyone interested the following jobs were sent to me this morning. Some of you might have already received the notifications -

Service Desk Analyst - 1st/2nd Line Support - Finance - London
Salary £30000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent benefits and bonuses
Location United Kingdom,City of London
Job Type Permanent
Date Posted 08-Jul-2009 19:04

Skills required: IT Service desk experience, Windows Desktop

I am seeking a talented Service Desk Analyst to provide 1st and 2nd line helpdesk support in a rapidly expanding financial environment. My client is one of largest financial software houses in London mainly working with in the credit derivatives market.

The candidate must have:
*IT service desk experience in Windows Desktop
*Related degree

TCP/IP networking knowledge and skills with Windows Server, BES, Blackberry Handhelds and VOIP would also be advantageous for this role. My client would also be keen to look at candidates who are ITIL foundation holders.

Your role will involve:
*Providing 1st/2nd line support in a rapid market
*Working through ticket system and telephone matters
*Working on Window environment and Office problems

This is an excellent role for a desk engineer seeking a fulfilling and exciting career whilst gaining finance exposure. My client will offer a competitive salary plus benefits and bonuses.
Please call Matthew on 0207 997 1083 or send your CV to [email protected] for further information.

Aston Carter Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Advertiser Aston Carter
Contact Name Matthew Way
Telephone 0207 997 1083
Reference wed08-3
Apply

Soldato
While I agree agencies are a waste of time some people actually do get jobs through them. I was made redundant last November and I found the job market to be very dry, I was really desperate to get anything but failed, I went self employment as I could see I wasn't getting anywhere to work as a private hire driver, work was terrible, I had to work 85-95hours per week to make living out of it (I managed to save few grand in 4 months to) but then I quit as I started having health problem due to the amount of hours I worked. I decided to quit and start looking for a job again since I had some money in bank account, 2 weeks later I managed to get a job through local agency LOL I couldn't believe myself.
So now I have been working for over 2 months now in a reasonable nice office but I am starting to get worried as I don't have anything to do most of the time and I don't want to loose my job cos of this.

Whatever you do don't give up, keep applying :)

Back
Top Bottom