Formula Boinc 2017

Soldato
so I cant install anything from either Linux or windows because it doesn't see any hdd even tho in the bios its showing, the reason is because onboard sata doesn't work and is using a pci sata connection. so it wont pick up the hdd because it needs the drivers, but I cant install the drivers because I have no OS to install them on... my fix.... bring a 32 core server in doors, connect to internet with Ethernet cable and also plug the sata pci card in, install Linux and allow updates as it installs. all installed I shut down and then plugged the sata cable from the motherboard into the PCI sata connection and booted, and all seemed fine on my 32core, it must have downloaded the drivers while installing? inaway I took the HDD to the shed and plugged it into the 64 core and at first it didn't look good, but then it BOOTED!!!! it came to life with Linux so now im going to do exactly the same for windows server 2008. install on 32 server, install the pci sata card and its drivers ive already downloaded and then take this hdd to the shed and hope it boots aswell, if not ill just use the Linux hdd. I had to go and get some HDDs today just so I can try this! since 9am this morning ive had maybe a 4hr break and the rest messing about, god knows how many times / versions ive windows into a bootable usb stick, even have 2 usb sticks on the go here back and forth with windows server 2008 / 2012 and linux

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Nice to know you are enjoying yourself :rolleyes: I did try and warn that I'd had fun and games getting it to run and the only way I did it was an old precompiled linux from the guys on [H]ard|OCP ;)

Soldato
unless you have another system similar to this I don't see how youd get it working. but inaway its all connected up now in the shed. just installing boinc and I think I will order a pizza to celebrate.
p.s did you not get my last email?

Soldato
OP
so its been running for 22 hours now and im quite impressed with its output on universe@home. I think I knocked the hdd aswell and it froze for a few hours before aswell , only noticed when I was in shed and I hooked a monitor up to make sure everything was ok.

http://universeathome.pl/universe/hosts_user.php?userid=10990

Those runtimes are awesome! currently your machine is doing over 250K PPD! :eek:
I have noticed that Universe runtimes vary greatly tho yours seem to be quite consistent.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
On the right projects it had potential to remain an impressive performer. It's worth comparing it to some of the more current CPUs http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-AMD-Opteron-6274

Power use is not as bad as you might think, but running 4 CPUs inevitably adds up. The TDP of each is supposedly 115W, so allow a bit more for the motherboard, watercooling pump and fans, it's probably still under 500W (I never put any meter on it). So it's probably about £2 per day.

Soldato
the full power consumption from my shed isn't something im worrying about just yet. still trying to find an X79 board for this 8/16 ES xeon I have sat here looking bored.

Soldato
I have found one in the MM but not sure if its abit pricey, checked ebays sold listings and even on there quite often x79's go for the same price or even cheaper.
I think oc.net has ramped up power on universe as they are now pretty much neck and neck power output wise as us, I think they don't want us to overtake them

Associate
So next sprint is Seti, hmm not done this in a longgggg time.
We can use both gpu and cpu :)

Looking at the stats, we will be getting lots of support from the "Ghosts" who run for us lol

minimum quorum 2

Last edited:
Associate
there's no Astropulse wu`s to do tho:(
ATM my ati are doing them in 7mins and titan x and 780s are 30mins, hmmm, not sure how many points yet all are waiting on wingmen

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Ooh Seti. It's been years. :cool: So much so that I'm so far down the team ranks that it'll seem like I'm starting a new project. Who knows perhaps, in old OcUK Team terminology, there will be a good opportunity for a bit of stompage as I try and climb out of these dank dungeons. Perhaps I should be issuing a PAARP or two :p

Associate
SETI too got me into distributed computing, but too I've tried not to run it other than races. It looks better than last year though...in which the CPU apps went to my GPU's, and my GPU apps went to my CPU's. Hopefully TeAm Anandtech's 'ghost's' can give us a boost for this one.... :) GAME ON!!!

Back
Top Bottom