Formula E, 2018-2019

Soldato
Sadly too much like the touring cars on street circuits. Cars are too similar and street circuits are too narrow. Just a procession, maybe that's what we have to expect these days. All the attempts to promote overtaking are silly maybe we should go more towards remote racing where no driver gets hurt in an accident? The crashes could then be spectacular
Andi.

Caporegime
OP
Sadly too much like the touring cars on street circuits. Cars are too similar and street circuits are too narrow. Just a procession, maybe that's what we have to expect these days. All the attempts to promote overtaking are silly maybe we should go more towards remote racing where no driver gets hurt in an accident? The crashes could then be spectacular

There were plenty of overtakes throughout the race, as there nearly always are in Formula E, but the TV director was terrible at showing them

Soldato
There were plenty of overtakes throughout the race, as there nearly always are in Formula E, but the TV director was terrible at showing them
Were they driver implemented or did those overtakes come from fake advantages? Have they implemented that phone in boost I read about or the in track boost to make the cars go over particular parts of the track? Motorsports across the board seems to have lost its way and is slowly turning into a game. Even F1 has decided to add points for the fastest lap.
Andi.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Were they driver implemented or did those overtakes come from fake advantages? Have they implemented that phone in boost I read about or the in track boost to make the cars go over particular parts of the track? Motorsports across the board seems to have lost its way and is slowly turning into a game. Even F1 has decided to add points for the fastest lap.
Andi.
The phone in boost you refer to is fan boost, and yes it’s implemented. FYI I think it’s crap, however the “attack mode” boost cars get from taking a wider line in specific sections is actually great.

Associate
Andi.

In this race the fan boost was actually handed to two drivers who had already gone off the track so wouldnt of affected them. In Formula E the vast majority of overtaking is a result of the drivers rather then artifical aids.

Attack mode was also more or less neutralised as most drives took during safety car periods so everyone had it at the same time.

Have been a formula E fan since the beginning Happy to read that more and more people seem to be dropping their misguided preconceptions of the series. Some seriously class drivers in the field. There are probably more top level championships throughout this field then the current f1 field if anyone is doubting driver talent. i.e Le Mans/DTM/GP2 etc

Cars looked very challenging in qualifying, from the noise the electric motors made give you could really make out the drivers managing the cars as they made their way around the laps.

Caporegime
OP
Were they driver implemented or did those overtakes come from fake advantages? Have they implemented that phone in boost I read about or the in track boost to make the cars go over particular parts of the track?

Most were real. Some were from "attack mode" that is activated by going over some part of the track. Personally, I don't mind Attack Mode as it's a tactical resource that is used by the drivers to gain an advantage at a particular time, it's certainly a lot better than DRS. The phone-in boost you talk about is also there - "fan boost" - and it's as much garbage as you'd expect. Fortunately, however, it doesn't seem to have very much effect, since it's only there for 5 seconds.

Soldato
Why does Formula E have stupid music during the race.

I don't needdrums and music to add pretend drama.

Can barely hear the commentators.

Massively puts me off.

The electronic music at race start was ridiculously over the top in the Sanya race.

Then there is the abruptly load gunfire/helicopter sounds every other turn.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This series needs to grow up, and build proper width circuits.

These narrow circuits are just plain pathetic, one car crashes, and the entire field grinds to a halt, because no one can get past.

I totally understand why proper race circuits are not used. But they have to start to find areas where decent width tracks can be built.

Straights and corners need to be wide enough for at least three or four cars abreast at the apex.

Would increase the viewers Intetest, with far more overtakes and far less collisions

Caporegime
OP
I'm at the Berlin race weekend today. There's actually a surprising amount to do here as well as the various race events. We've watched the shakedown and the iPace practice so far, and are going to see if the virtual race is fun.

Caporegime
OP
Well, I really enjoyed that. Motorsport is strange to watch live as you're often relying on the big screen to tell you what is going on but it was still a really enjoyable experience. I think we'll go to another race next year.

Watching Lopez limp over the line with the crowd cheering was pretty funny too.

Man of Honour
I watched 10 minutes of the Berlin race this morning and remembered why I only watched part of a race when the series launched. Not only do the cars look painfully slow but now they have made it look like a video game with fan boost and attack mode zones. This series is not for me at all.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ve been enjoying the races and attack mode is one of the better gimmicks imo. Fan boost can do one though :p

What was the noise like in the stands? Any photos? @Mr Jack

Back
Top Bottom