Forza 6 (Apex) coming to PC near you, soon....

Soldato
This is running well in terms of frame rate and looking great at ultra, 1920x1200 on my system except for some annoying stutters, mostly at the start of races particularly if I crash into another car. Yas Marina is particularly bad. Other tracks are much better and it's almost non-existent. I'm getting very little force feedback and none at all when crashing into things. I'm using an XBOX 360 wireless controller. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have an AMD R9 390X, Crimson 16.5.1 and an I7 5820K overclocked to 4.1GHz.

Last edited:
Soldato
The one track I get stutter on is the night one, is it Abu Dhabi. I read on the forum ppl even tried running at low and it still hitches three or four times a lap. It's not very noticebale, but you can feel it for sure, that's the only track I get it on. I dont think its anything to do with hardware, it seems to be one of those things. It might sort it self out as the game gets updated.

Caporegime
That's nonsense, I hope they remove that, I'm pretty confident my 980 can run this game at ultra

They have clearly put controls in that ensure anyone running the game at a certain quality level can do so comfortably, in order to remove the noise from feedback of people complaining they are only getting x fps when running Ultra on a system that's on the cusp.

Soldato
Thanks will give this a go!

Uninstalled and reinstalled again...same problem! Fires up, get an orange bordered grey window with nothing in it and doesn't progress any further :(

Edit. On the forza forums seems like loads of people getting the same error are using monitors with refresh rates >60hz but mine is 4k@60hz so not sure why I am getting the same problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
The one track I get stutter on is the night one, is it Abu Dhabi. I read on the forum ppl even tried running at low and it still hitches three or four times a lap. It's not very noticebale, but you can feel it for sure, that's the only track I get it on. I dont think its anything to do with hardware, it seems to be one of those things. It might sort it self out as the game gets updated.

Thanks for that. The night race is certainly the most noticeable, I think Yas Marina is the Abu Dhabi track. However, I am getting a bit more stutter than you as it is happening on around three of the tracks I've tried. It also happened right at the first corner on the race the Stig trial and then it was very smooth, but when I attempted this trial on other occasions it did not happen.

Soldato
Uninstalled and reinstalled again...same problem! Fires up, get an orange bordered grey window with nothing in it and doesn't progress any further :(

Edit. On the forza forums seems like loads of people getting the same error are using monitors with refresh rates >60hz but mine is 4k@60hz so not sure why I am getting the same problem.

the game definitely does not like 120hz/144hz monitors for sure. When I move my mouse pointer to the top or the bottom of the screen to get the window showing up, I get such an amazing buttery smooth experience. But move the pointer to make the window border disappear and it feels like the game drops to well under 30fps. Its very peculiar indeed. Just showing and hiding a window or the task bar should not change the FPS so drastically.

I heard ppl on the forum change the monitor refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz solves this problem, but I really dont want to do that. I'm happy just having a little bar at the top to get solid 60fps. Hope they enable options for disabling vsync, running Freesync etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That box is to authenticate you with the Xbox App. Try uninstalling and reinstalling that app too. Plus, log into it independently of the game.

Soldato
I'm impressed with Forza. Never played it on xbox but for a arcade racer it's pretty nice to look at and beta aswell.
I dont know why some people keep calling this an arcade racer. There is a far larger distance between a game like Forza Motorsport and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit than there is between Assetto Corsa and Forza Motorsport.

FM is definitely a sim-lite/sim-type racer, no doubt about it. It seems silly to just have the hardcore sims and then everything else is 'arcade'. That's very black and white.

Anyways, I finally got to spend some time with this today. It feels like coming home! Been quite a long time since I've played FM outside of little game expo demos. Broke out the 360 pad, whacked off all the assists as soon as I could and it's just a dream. They do gamepad controls *so well*. I dont even care if wheel support comes. I'd like to give it a go(I've got a much nicer wheel setup than last time I played Forza), but this is really a game I'm more interested in plugging in a pad and having some nice accessible sim fun. I've got plenty of other games I can play when I want to have a more serious sim experience.

The game looks great, and *can* run beautifully, but I too am suffering from intermittent stuttering. It can be quite bad at times, bordering on completely unplayable when it just wont stop. I'm not entirely sure what's causing it. I've experienced it on just about any track, day or night, dry or wet. Sometimes it 'clears up' after a minute or so, sometimes it doesn't. I tried reducing memory-hungry settings like MSAA and texture quality, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm also not trying to run everything maxed out or anything, either(though I should be able to at 1080p, barring maybe 8xMSAA).

My setup is

GTX970
3570k @ 4.2Ghz
8GB 1600mhz DDR3

Is anybody with 16GB RAM experiencing this same stuttering? The 'recommended' setup is 12GB, so I'm wondering whether they've just not got a very good way to handle memory yet, as it's a fair change from the unified setup they use on the XB1. It definitely 'feels' like a memory issue sort of stutter and not performance/frame consistency.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have the exact set-up you have and have intermittent stuttering. Its mostly on night races and at Abu Dhabi. It feels like its a regular stutter which suggests something other than graphics. Like you, mine often "clears itself up" after a while.

Soldato
Only issues so far is some FPS drops/Stutter in Yaz Marina and a rather irritating bug that makes mapping the Right Bumper on the XBox 360 Controller to Gear Down quite bizarre in that it also 'Remembers' the default setting 'Look Behind' and does that too, so every time I change down a gear I look back too which is a lot more off-putting than it sounds or you think it would be.

As someone who's never played Forza before I can only describe it as GRiD Autosport to play (With a Pad at least) with Project CARS graphics, the only thing that lets it down in any way are the mediocre Sounds.

It's looking promising to be fair and it'll be very interesting to see how it fares when it supports Wheels as that will be the real proof of the pudding and will make or break it for many I'm guessing.

Soldato
Was stuttering for me as well, but only on the rainy Brands Hatch race(EDIT: nope, sunny Spa also has a ton of stutters), the rest were perfectly smooth. I'm not entirely sold on it though: joypad racing means a lot of bumping and crashing, beauty wise Assetto's cars look better (inside and out), pCars' cars and tracks look better, same with f1 2015...

Good to have this franchise on the PC anyway, cheers Microsoft :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wheels support is coming.

I've just boshed through the 12 events and unlocked the Showcase events, and now I'm having to try really hard to avoid buying an Xbox One and FM6! I've missed this type of game!

Really annoyed you can't launch Windows Store games through Steam though, as I can't use Steam Link to go full on sofa based Forza fun, like I used to with FM4 :(

Soldato
When I eventually got it to run @1440p on ultrawide (16.9 mode) I set everything to max high allows and got this stuttering on Rio. Reset to auto and it look the same to me and no stuttering. Obviously some setting triggered it but I've not had stuttering like I saw in this game before. Literally missed frames completely. Odd. Still seems fine now but won't come back now till its updated for wheel support as driving with a pad really is naff compared to wheels. Anyone who says different should try and drive their actual Ford Mondeo or whatever actual car they own with a game pad (it'd be rubbish). Good times with Forza on pc though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom