Free will

RxR

RxR

Soldato
@RxR who are you and what are all these complex sentences you are using?

The question of "who someone is" - is always the unfortunately less-informative question to answer. Which is why some cynics and laconics favour it as a trick ad hominem question. Im a beer, or something.

Soldato
The question of "who someone is" - is always the unfortunately less-informative question to answer. Which is why some cynics and laconics favour it as a trick ad hominem question. Im a beer, or something.
I don't know why I love it but I do. RxR for Prime Minister. :eek:

Man of Honour
We had this in another thread.

1) Conscious mind intrinsically linked to physical brain.
2) Physical brain subject to laws of physics/reality.

It is currently unknown if the laws of reality allow for genuinely indeterminate outcomes. Or if everything happening in your brain is 100% predictable (not now/tomorrow/this century, but predictable in theory).

If everything in your brain follows a deterministic, pre-defined pattern then you have no free will. You are just a watch. Wind you up and watch you go!
This for me. I think it's highly likely we are just a watch.

Soldato
To answer OP, yes.

Those who struggle with the question in the theory field have failed to integrate the 4 main physics:
Newtonian
Einsteinian
Maxwellian
Quantum
...with the core of intelligent purpose, innate intelligence (ie. brain-intelligence vs concept-operations intelligence), locus of control and cognitive complexity.

There is no mutually-exclusive position of you either have free-will or you dont, that's a theoretical artifact.

Plus, few determinists have yet to comprehend the implications of conscious or preconscious intelligent control interactions with quantum causality.

Unconscious motivation is another subfield, headed up by Bargh.
You missed out Orwellian and Machivellian

Man of Honour
I love the disparity between the takes on this question. As if some people really think it's about whether or not one gets to do whatever one wants/work/buy stuff, vs a fundamental philosophical condition about consciousness and causality.

The way I see it is, a program that knows it's a program will still only produce output that stems from its input (programming, perhaps a "random" initialisation vector, and its environment, and therefore is fundamentally predictable and repeatable, no matter how complex those variables are, they're still on rails. Why are humans different? I'm not saying it matters, though. In this scenario, we are the program, so in our day to day lives we experience the world as input, process it based on things we can't possibly comprehend on an individual level (variables stated previously), and therefore the output seems like it's caused by us, when it's actually the man behind the curtain. This doesn't really make any difference, because we're not going to stop seeing the world the way we see it. It's an interesting thought experiment, no matter what conclusion one comes to.

Man of Honour
The most obvious example is responsibility. If free will doesn't exist, nobody is responsible for anything they do.

I understand where you're coming from but if you really think about it, they are still responsible, as at least part of the variables that come together to cause criminal activity/behaviour come from the individual in terms of their genetics and their entire life's worth of environmental stimuli. An individual who has - for whatever reason - a propensity for murdering people should still be locked up, as the result of that individual being in that place at that time, with their specific sum of their environment and genetics, meant that they committed an act deemed unacceptable, thus demonstrating that they are a danger to society.

Soldato
I would say No because, for me at least, the very idea of "Free" Will is that you are "Free" to do anything you want, which we all know just isn't possible. Even if what you want to do isn't illegal in anyway there's societal norms which will still cause problems i.e. playing loud music at 10PM isn't "illegal" but is frowned upon etc and the second you modify your own behaviour to fit then you are no longer "free" to do whatever you want.

Even if we had a total anarchical state with no Government, no rules etc there would always be other people who would prevent you doing what you want (maybe through a threat of violence) which, again, would then prevent you having "Free" Will.

However thats just based on my particular idea of what I think "Free" Will is, other folks versions maybe significantly different and if I was to tell them "no, only my version is right" I would be removing their "Free" Will to believe what they want :D

Soldato
Yup, you can choose what to do you have free will.

We also respond to incentives, rewards etc.. both positive and negative - how you respond is up to you to a large extent.

Questions of determinism etc.. seem a bit misplaced here - my prior at the moment is that the universe isn't deterministic but supposing it were I don't think that matters to you as an individual human*. Even if everything could be known in advance by some observer outside our universe it doesn't change that from your perspective, you as a conscious, sentient being are making various choices freely... we still have some degree of self-perception, we have sentience even if we are a big group of atoms that can be predicted by an outsider.

I also don't see why adding some randomness necessarily changes anything there, randomness doesn't necessarily equate to free will, just because you're no longer predictable to some outsider and some things in the universe are unknown...

*like supposing everyone believes indeterminism and decides we're theoretically predictable to some outside observer and everything that will happen could, in theory, be known in advance... it's not going to change that as individuals we'll hold each other accountable for actions etc... a mass murderer who gets caught is still going to be locked up etc...

How do you know you can choose?

Back
Top Bottom