FTTP on Demand - whos got it?

Caporegime
It's a strange product in that it's so fast (at least downstream) that any ISP taking it up is likely to have to invest heavily in their backhaul and peering, yet there isn't the excuse that it's 'only' £40 a month for a gigabit that would allow the sort of overselling that the home providers can get away with. People who pay four figures for installation and over £100 a month are damn well going to use the connection, and complain when it's contended.

Soldato
I emailed Zen earlier in the week regarding FTTPoD and they are currently not offering it due to costs, even though my area has it available :(

That Gigaclear price is good :)

Permabanned
Yeah - especially considering at the other property I was actually considering FTTPoD :/

Well... actually I was going to go with a 100/100 leased line for £315/month which was a bit cheaper per month and no install cost.

I'm glad those guys messed us around and it got cancelled... because we found a MUCH MUCH nicer house with Gigaclear :D

Permabanned
Can't remember and quick search isn't showing the email, but that's what I was about to go for.

FluidOne offered £345/month

Other providers were around the same price but £315 was the best... next cheapest was about £330-340.

That was BT Wholesale too... TalkTalk were a little bit cheaper but would avoid them like the plague.

Soldato
I've got FTTP with BT, how to do you find any other providers that you can switch to? I only know of Zen and the only other way to try another provider would be to use the copper phone line again but I only have ADSL2+ options available as FFTC doesn't show up.
Was thinking of switching to Virgin Media when the contract runs out as I can make use of cashback and offers as BT doesn't offer any existing long term customers discounts (decent ones anyway).

Caporegime
I've got FTTP with BT, how to do you find any other providers that you can switch to? I only know of Zen and the only other way to try another provider would be to use the copper phone line again but I only have ADSL2+ options available as FFTC doesn't show up.
Was thinking of switching to Virgin Media when the contract runs out as I can make use of cashback and offers as BT doesn't offer any existing long term customers discounts (decent ones anyway).

Zen, BT and Andrews & Arnold are the only three that I know of.

Soldato
Can always switch back (VM do monthly rolling contracts albeit at a higher price). They offer the 200Mbps for the same price as my 80Mbps package.

I missed out when they were offering 200Mbps for around £30 (exc line rental), but it was only if you phoned up.

Soldato
You said you have FTTP... BT FTTP is 330/30

If you're on 80mbit, you're on FTTC.

I have FTTP, the fibre optic cable with the green end going into the Openreach ONT inside the house and I watched the Openreach guy fuse the fibre lines with his little box machine when it was getting installed :)
You can still have option 2 on FTTP, I'm not sure if I can choose option 1 but it sure ain't FTTC as I still have my copper phone line installed but inactive.

Permabanned
Hmmmm odd... didn't know that you could get that package on FTTP.

Still... 80/20 on FTTC is better than Virgin... so 80/20 on FTTP is even better... if you want more speed, get the 330/30 package - don't ruin your internets with Virgin.

FTTC @ 80/20 = 5-10ms ping with a decent provider like BT/Zen
FTTP @ 80/20 or 330/30 = 1-2ms ping
Virgin @ any speed = 20-30ms ping

Your general browsing of the web is a lot of small files to form a website... browsing with a 80mbit connection on a 2ms ping will be much much faster than with an 800mbit connection with 20ms ping.

Associate
It is possible to get deals from BT on FTTP in exchange for a contract. I phoned them and asked what they could do and they gave me a 160 connection for £47.49 a month inc line rental. As FTTC and Virgin are not available to me I thought this was reasonable.

Permabanned
My new company have some really good deals on FTTP... I was surprised when I found out today... it's only for certain cities... but it was in the region of £200 +VAT for 500/500 or £300 +VAT for 1000/1000.

While not as cheap as the likes of Gigaclear... compared to your average leased line price... it's a steal as it's rare to find 1000/1000 for less than £600/month when the cables are already in place in central London.

Back
Top Bottom